Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Tips for starting up your outboard for the first time this spring.  (Read 3184 times)

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 MNO Fishing Challenge Champion
    • Advanced Tackle Innovations
  I don't have any but I'm sure Dew2 might have a few.  I need to remember to tighten the teflon plug in my trim unit and will probably replace the plugs this year.   I did buy a better hose unit so I can start it up and get it running at home vs at the access.
Pai Mei tells the Godfather when it's time to tell Wayne  to pimp slap Eastwood.

Offline Stnmtz

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Important not to turn your engine over with out suppling water to it.  Even if you're not starting it ..... you will fry you impeller
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt" Abraham Lincoln

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
 I dont have any tips either.
  If the motor was winterized last fall it should fire right up. Check the lower for oil make sure its full.To do that remove the top vent screw, oil should be at or nearly at the hole. Fire it on muffs but no higher RPMs than idle.Thats it.
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
  I don't have any but I'm sure Dew2 might have a few.  I need to remember to tighten the teflon plug in my trim unit and will probably replace the plugs this year.   I did buy a better hose unit so I can start it up and get it running at home vs at the access.
don't ferget to put plug in boat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :surrender: :surrender: :doah: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Stnmtz

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
even if lower unit is full of oil its not a bad idea to check it.  Sitting all winter long any condensation that was in the lower unit will settle to the bottom.  I take out my drain plug and let it run for a second or two ( until the oil is clear).  If the oil clears up quick just add a little in the top plug hole.  If it doesnt i would change the oil.  If ya want to save a few bucks on oil on the older outboards all you need is to put 80w90 gear lube in.
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt" Abraham Lincoln

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
even if lower unit is full of oil its not a bad idea to check it.  Sitting all winter long any condensation that was in the lower unit will settle to the bottom.  I take out my drain plug and let it run for a second or two ( until the oil is clear).  If the oil clears up quick just add a little in the top plug hole.  If it doesnt i would change the oil.  If ya want to save a few bucks on oil on the older outboards all you need is to put 80w90 gear lube in.
That should have been part of winterization last fall if yer not a winter boater anyway.And if water comes out, the seals should be pressure tested,find the bad seal an replace it,It'll only get worse and cause a larger problem in the season of being down to repair.
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine