Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: boat project  (Read 9760 times)

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2016 Mno rockbass challenge champion
so im in the process of rebuilding the inside of my boat. I bought the boat knowing it was a project. especially needing new floors. the previous owner used normal plywood and rotted away. so I tore it apart, took me about a hour to do so. left the middle 3 areas that are "storage and live well" but otherwise gutted it. it is a small (14 foot)old alumacraft console steering. it was converted to a tiller. it has a 1985 40 horse Yamaha on it that my dad and I are rebuilding. the boat is rated to a 45 horse(that's what the tag says)

my question is has anyone done this before? im thinking of 3/4" marine grade plywood that home depot has. luckily I only need 2 sheets. that should be thick enough right?

I went to home depot to check and see what they had for sealants so I can reseal the entire inside bottom of the boat. I went with rustoleom leak seal I think it was called. its a rubber compound.

getting the carpet from gander mountain. now my question is do I go with the carpet adhesive they sell at gander? they only have one and it has mixed reviews.

after I lay and screw down the plywood to the braces should I also seal all seams on the plywood sections with silicone or something else to protect it from aging faster? I only plan on laying 2 sections the front and the back to keep seams down to a minimum.

I can post the pictures ive taken of the project so far. time wise doesn't seem like it should take that long. I already washed it out of all debri and sealed the inside. im hoping to have the plywood down tomorrow after class. then its carpet time and then rewiring.

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
Before I tore it apart after I removed the carpet is the first pic 2nd pic is after I tore the plywood out and 3rd is after I used the spray rubber seal

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
Cody when I first moved here near Willmar I redid 2-
3 boats a year for??Well till 3 years ago,still got the 2 I did for me and the ole girl.I got pics of some of em.
 I can help you quite abit!
 Where you located The boat anyway? I did the last 5 boats with decodot vinyl flooring Its obsolute now but the best flooring out there.A couple places still had some in 2014 but choice of colors wasnt a option.
 Contact me,I got all the soild rivit sets guns everything here in choices/
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
You should put it in water and watch for leaks.Tightening rivets can stop the seepage!

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
well I live in the west metro, but I had the boat at my dads in willmar up until about 2 weeks ago. the motor is still out there. im waiting on the parts. I think cabelas had vinyl covering but all the reviews I read were bad. mostly they adhesive wouldn't stick.

when I bought it the guy said it didn't leak at all. but pretty much everything he told me was a lie, atleast about the motor. didn't figure that out until we pulled it apart. after i get the new tags this weekend i can put it in the water and put my 9.9 horse on it and putt around and see if it leaks. good thinking. i should of thought of that. would of been a bad day if i finished it all to find out she leaks.

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
thinking about running 3 more braces north and south inbetween the other braces for added support and less stress on the plywood. good idea? i don't want to add to much and have her be real heavy. its already a heavy boat to begin with

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
DONT BUY plywood from home depot. I bought some treated from them to redo my snowmobile trailer about 4 years ago. it already needs to be replaced. training-087 training-087 :banghead: :banghead:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
only other place around here that has it is gander mountain and its 90$ a sheet. a bit excessive in the price

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
Cody you'll find this aginst every idoits suggestions,Because they dont know what to do doing only a boat or 2!! and the internet.Ust some 5/8 treated ply,Just make sure no aluminum GLUED contact with the ply is made,Lots of materials will prevent contact! Roof freeze starter rolls is great!! Like I said I have experience since actually 1987 when I did my first,Not untill I was deemed disabled  and retired did I really start in 2001,Moved here in 2000.
 Yes that  new vinyl seems chity incomparision to decodot.The glue well that also is from the uninformed.Stop by and see my 1980 smokercraft side walls done with seat vinyl right on aluminum, floor decodot wide open must be 6-7 years back I did that.Maybe its time I fire up the desktop for pics
« Last Edit: April 04/29/15, 04:54:13 PM by dew2 »

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
thinking about running 3 more braces north and south inbetween the other braces for added support and less stress on the plywood. good idea? i don't want to add to much and have her be real heavy. its already a heavy boat to begin with
Yah they be called stringers and distribute weight evenly IF cut right (lots a angles to deal with and tough to do.

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 MNO Fishing Challenge Champion
    • Advanced Tackle Innovations
  My friend that owns a new and use boat dealership checks trade ins for leaks by putting a hose in it.    No need to put it in the water.   
Pai Mei tells the Godfather when it's time to tell Wayne  to pimp slap Eastwood.

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
  Dew2 do you still do boat projects?  I have to make a choice after  this summer.  Dump it or pimp it.  I would be real happy to have a winter remodel done.  It would just be floors pretty much.  Nuttin fancy.  It has a walk through.  I would be fine with a single console and a wide open floor.  A live well would be nice but not necessary.  Let me know if you have any interest.  As nice as the new stuff is I can't justify the price when I have a sound hull and big water capabilities. 
Pai Mei tells the Godfather when it's time to tell Wayne  to pimp slap Eastwood.

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
Dew you have been a lot of help! when I put in the extra braces to help support weight evenly ill take a picture and post it on it. my main concern doing that is because my room mate who fishes with me a lot is 330lbs and that's a lot of weight to support if theres no extra braces. ill be sure to send ya a PM with anymore questions I have!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Both boats that I have done, I used the 5/8" treated.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Fawkinnae

• Executive Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
    • Fawkinnae Sportsman's Club T-Shirts
I think I used 5/8" marine plywood on mine.
Fawkinnae Sportsman's Club T-Shirts
Unique fishing, hunting, drinking and motorcycle t-shirts, caps, bumper stickers and more.
http://www.fawkinnae.com/
Find me on Facebook - http://tinyurl.com/6k5tkvv

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
  Dew2 do you still do boat projects?  I have to make a choice after  this summer.  Dump it or pimp it.  I would be real happy to have a winter remodel done.  It would just be floors pretty much.  Nuttin fancy.  It has a walk through.  I would be fine with a single console and a wide open floor.  A live well would be nice but not necessary.  Let me know if you have any interest.  As nice as the new stuff is I can't justify the price when I have a sound hull and big water capabilities.
I probably wont get back into boats,Right now I am worried about the contest here.I had a ct scan and was told just last month (March)no rocking boats yet.I have to many restrictions and wont violate the docs rules WELL sometimes I have to violate but I will never go through a repair surgery. I'd help anyone who did most the heavier lifting. Thanks for the thought.I'm haveing a hard time doing my own motors and will force myself out there soon as the garden is planted.

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
  My friend that owns a new and use boat dealership checks trade ins for leaks by putting a hose in it.    No need to put it in the water.
By putting it in water the seepage from rivets can easily be marked,so re tightening isnt a every rivet process.Water in the boat can run a seam or keel then drip. That is to tighten rivets for just checking for leaks either way works

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
Here's a update. Got the braces in how I wanted them. Atleast the back ones. Gonna put a couple up front as well. Got first part of floor in. Gonna have to cut a small Peice to fit the side because of side wall panels. Honing a little slower because of the rain on Friday and was busy on Saturday

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
Also I was gonna water test it to make sure there are no leaks and as I was just putting it in the water three rivers pulled up. I don't have my new tags on it they were sitting at home and he was being quite the wiener about it even though I told him I was just testing it for leaks. I had no motor or trolling motor on it and it wasn't going to come off the trailer but he didn't care, must of been having a bad day or something because he was making a big deal about it.

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
  How's the project going?   I just found out this weekend my boat sprung a major leak over the winter.  Filled with water up to the floor over night.  I pumped it out and replaced the old plug but that was not it.  I pulled it out today in pouring rain.  I am going to have to try the hose trick because I could see no damage from underneath.  It was not leaking last fall when it went on the trailer.  I did have a new transducer placed.  New screw holes were need.  They put screws back in the old holes so I don't think that would leak that much.  Oh well.  Here we go again.  :bonk:

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
Right now I'm waiting on cabelas for my carpet, won't be here until the 26th. Boat motor parts should be here around that week to. So I'm kind of stuck at stand still right now. I have to put in the front piece but weather has been a pain in the butt, I have the piece cut out but rain has held me off from putting it in. Hopefully Tuesday or Wednesday I can do that.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Just tell him it's a bath tub, not a boat.   :bonk:
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
Well the inside is carpeted and done. I'm still gonna build a rod locker and I still have to cut out the front storage and install the front seat. Also gonna enclose the front  and have a storage up there for my trolling motor battery and on bank charger. But those are smaller projects as soon as I mount the trolling motor on the bow and the front seat, she's water ready. Motor is in process of being put back together now.

Offline corny13

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 ROCKBASS CHAMPION 2014
Sweet, go get em! :happy1: :happy1: :happy1:

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
Looking good Cody!!    :happy1:

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
Well taking the motor out for the first time. My dad an I rebuilt the power head. Ran it last night with water muff on it.  We turned it over first with no gas an spark plugs out just to get the cylinders lubed. Then hooked up the gas an put the spark plugs in an she fired right up.

Offline corny13

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 ROCKBASS CHAMPION 2014
Go get'em!  Lets see some pics of the finished boat with some Big Fish!! Partner...