Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Split da catch/keep yer own  (Read 4408 times)

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
              Split the catch or just keep your own. :scratch:

Two friends go on a week fishing trip and split the catch and expenses 50/50. Later at home they go fishing for a day and keep their own catch. Does this make sense? How do you guys handle this?  :doah:

Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
to me id do 50 50 on the fly in cause im dependent on my partner to make it happen,  at home for me it depends on circumstance, how many we catch, if i feel like cleaning fish or not, depends is all.
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
For me it al depends on if i want to clean and what species of fish. On mille lacs i let my friend have all perch and eyes and i keep the tullibies and pike.  If its at the cabin i generally only keep enough fish for supper the night we are there. Fresh fish meal and they take everything else home with them. I also always let them take all the panfish home. Hate cleaning them.
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
It's never really much of a problem.  When done fishing we simply ask who wants the fish and how many.  Then divide accordingly.  Besides, if I kept all that I caught, I would have too many fish to eat. 
:laughroll:
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
It's never really much of a problem.  When done fishing we simply ask who wants the fish and how many.  Then divide accordingly.  Besides, if I kept all that I caught, I would have too many fish to eat. 
:laughroll:
+1
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline gophergunner

• Master Outdoorsman
I've always been more that willing to send home as much fish as my partner wants with him.  Being a boat owner, I get a few more opportunities to get out, and usually have some fish in the freezer.  I usually keep some panfish in the spring for later use, and give a way most of what we bring in when I take someone else out.

As for deer season, that's a different matter.  I will gladly give anyone a package of meat, but by and large, I keep most of the meat for my self.  I moved up here from Ohio.  Most of my previous deer hunting was done in Pennsylvania or Ohio, and we never evenly split up the meat.  This was something new to me when I moved up here.  If I'm a guest with another group, and that's how they do it, that's fine, but I'm of the opinion that I did the work to get that deer, and it ought to be mostly mine.  I've hunted with some guys that do no scouting, and haven't shot their rifle in a couple years.  I don't work like that.  You've got a lot better chance of eating venison if you do your homework.

Offline MTCOMMER

• Master Outdoorsman
Ive been on many fishing trips where we all split the catch.  LOTW is the best example, we will keep fish to eat for the night, but at the end of the trip, we see WHO wants to bring fish home, and then determine how many we have and split up evenly.  Some guys only was a few filets, and others want more for their wife and kids.
I will usually split the catch if I go out with the same guy, as it will average out over time.  One day I will catch more fish, the next day, he might.
Especially ice fishing, we go out, catch fish, dump them on the ground and split them at the end.
 :happy1:

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
Day trips I rarely keep any fish unless the wife wants a meal. Who ever I am taking fishing will go home with fish if they want. Fishing trips, everyone goes home with a taste if they want. Deer camp if you are in camp when a deer is harvested you get a taste if you are not in camp you might get a steak if you don't score by the end of the season.
Bobby Bass

Bud and now Barney working the trail again in front of me.

It is not how many years you live, it is how you lived your years!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
fishing, deer camp, any camp we always evenly divey up the harvest equally. iffin someone doesn't want there fair share it gets divided by the ones who do! that is except for the extra beer!!!!!!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
fishing, deer camp, any camp we always evenly divey up the harvest equally. iffin someone doesn't want there fair share it gets divided by the ones who do! that is except for the extra beer!!!!!!!!!
UMMM I always wondered where you get yer fish!!!
 Hows that contest goin fer ya?? Post a link to yer entries I'd like to see em :moon: :moon:
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
UMMM I always wondered where you get yer fish!!!
 Hows that contest goin fer ya?? Post a link to yer entries I'd like to see em :moon: :moon:
I will when I got time. and someone to help me do it!!!!!! :moon: :moon: :banghead: :banghead:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
gophergunner, 
This started out as fish but glad you mentioned deer.  I don't know about Ohio and Penn but Minnesota allows party hunting so I'm sure that will make a difference on how venison is divided.  For our party it's pretty much divided between all who participated in the hunt.  That is for rifle as bow and muzzle loader kills are usually kept by the shooter.  At time this seem somewhat unfair as one person may hunt only one day while another hunts 5-7 or more days.  It is just an easy way to do it. 
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline gophergunner

• Master Outdoorsman
Ohio and Pennsylvania are both one and done states unless you're in special regs. areas.  They really don't even want you out in the woods dogging for your buddies, but it would be pretty hard to convict someone of Conspiracy To Take A Walk In the Woods.

Another thing that took some adjustment for me was hunting on Sunday.  That was always illegal out east.  Deer season out there always opens the Monday after Thanksgiving, which is basically a state holiday.  No one works up in the moutains, as everyone's in the woods.  Schools close for the day and labor unions even negotiate it as a paid day off. 

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
dang, and we minnatotans whine over cause we cant hunt enough, and to not hunt on sunday?? eeeesh!
78.50"

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
              Split the catch or just keep your own. :scratch:

Two friends go on a week fishing trip and split the catch and expenses 50/50. Later at home they go fishing for a day and keep their own catch. Does this make sense? How do you guys handle this?  :doah:
Never a problem for me,I fish with others so little that when I do they can keep everything.Me an the ole girl (When I went out 2+ times daily spring to fall) always had plenty and made sure some elder friends had fish for dinner bout everyother week.
 I just wonder how Glenn an boar if fishin together would split nothin?? By the way have either of them made any fish entries in the contest?? Be it the new challenge or the standard yearly contest.
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
If I was fishing with glenn, I'd would hire a scuba team to put fish on his line, to give him a false impression.......then take all the fish home with me :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
78.50"

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
I'm in a contest?? :rotflmao: :rotflmao: Id give you all the excuse for why I havent been able to get out, but glenn, G-Dog and double D use them all up in years past. :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
78.50"