Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: boat.. motor advice  (Read 2976 times)

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
well moved into the new house.. was being neighborly when i noticed the neighbor out looking at his boat that was stored between the house.. i offered to help him with my 4 wheeler to tow it around the house.. he said "tow it to the curb and put a free sign on it".. i being thrifty.. mention "i like free".. long story shorter.. i ended up buying a boat from him that hasn't been moved since 2008.

my question ..

it has a late 80's.. suzuki 25 horse on it.

should i just bring it in and spend the money and have someone go through it?

if i tossed in new plugs and fresh gas and pulled on it.. how bad could i mess it up?

If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
B. ust
O. ut
A. nother
T. housand

I would try the plugs and gas.
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Dito that.  Check Fluids, and fire it up.  Should work fine.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
since it sat so long do i need to worry about rust building up inside the cylinders? or am i thinking to much?
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
I would just pull on it to see if it turns over if it does then I would clean the gas tank out add fresh gas and some oil new plugs and give it a wirl. If it starts then I would change the lower unit oil and change out the impeller. If it didn't cost me much to buy I would replace the hoses and primer bulb. Run a little extra oil in the first gas tank and some sea foam and see what happens. You might get lucky. . I would certainly run it like I was breaking in a new motor and slowly increase my time running at higher rpm.s  O and make sure you have a paddle with you.. Sometimes they are put away and winterized sometimes they are put away with a problem that seller didn't tell you about. Have done this with a couple of old boats that the sons have bought, home, one of them has a thing for Older is better boats.
Bobby Bass

Bud and now Barney working the trail again in front of me.

It is not how many years you live, it is how you lived your years!

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
i wasn't looking to buy a boat at this point in time but for what i paid, i couldn't pass it up.. i'll post a few pictures tonight

thanks for the advice

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
well moved into the new house.. was being neighborly when i noticed the neighbor out looking at his boat that was stored between the house.. i offered to help him with my 4 wheeler to tow it around the house.. he said "tow it to the curb and put a free sign on it".. i being thrifty.. mention "i like free".. long story shorter.. i ended up buying a boat from him that hasn't been moved since 2008.

my question ..

it has a late 80's.. suzuki 25 horse on it.

should i just bring it in and spend the money and have someone go through it?

if i tossed in new plugs and fresh gas and pulled on it.. how bad could i mess it up?
25HP One carb,I'd pull the carb bowl off to make sure fuel hasnt gelentized (Varnish) spray some carb cleaner on the float and inlet valve,reinstall. Then use new fuel at 50-1 mix put it in a barrel or on muffs and fire it.Then see what happens.If it fires great If not start the trouble shoot process. Sounds like a great score!!
 If the3 carb bowl is full a varnish and its not removed then a carb clean and kit is needed.That is if you just fuel & fly
« Last Edit: August 08/10/15, 07:29:45 PM by dew2 »
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
pull the bowl.. didn't think of that. will do.. thanks for the tip.

phone pictures won't "convert" so.. i'll drag out the big camera tomorrow and take a few shots of it.

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
here are the pictures. replaced the hubs today.. it had abnormal wear pattern and northern had the slide one new ones for 39$ each. so i opted for new. ordered some taillight covers to replace some cracked ones. cleaned it out today. going to pull on the motor tomorrow..

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Don't look like to bad a boat! Good luck!  :happy1:
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
Nice score.  Plus it gives you some free time away from the wife's honey do list. :happy1:
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
well.. i pulled and did all the aforementioned ideas.. did not start. anyone have a good small engine guy in the forest lake area?