Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Need a New Scope  (Read 3706 times)

Offline brandbll

• Outdoorsman
So I'm trying to get a new scope for my grandpa's old model 700, .25-06.  Last year the old one just is not usable during prime time like it should be.  Just couldn't even make out crosshairs at all during the prime shooting hours and at one point there was a buck i could have shot but i had to take my eye away and try to look back to see if i could find them and i couldn't, and by that time he moved on.  It's an old Weaver scope.

I'm try to spend ~$200.  Almost all my hunting is in the northwoods, so I'm thinking 2-7 magnification is probably ideal.  Not sure about the 1.5-5 range as I have hunted fields before that have some real distance.  I've read the Redfield is a good scope to go with for that price as well as a Nikon Prostaff or Burris Fullfield.  I also I saw this Swift Premier scope:
http://www.eabco.net/Swift-Riflescopes-Premier-SRP-2-7X40mm-Matte_p_13260.html

It looks intriguing, but the recommendation came from a guy's website that actually sells them, sooo, not too sure about that one.  I don't doubt that a small company can make scopes, it's just the source that i question.

So does anyone have some good recommendations or can they vouch for any of these I have mentioned?  Any help is greatly appreciated as I want to get this done ASAP before I hit the rush up to the season.

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
i have a redfield (4x12x50) and it's been true to the rifle since the day i dialed it in and i wouldn't hesitate to pick up another redfield. my daughter has a nikon prostaff  (this will be her second year with it 3x9x40) and i wouldn't want her shooting at me with it. personally i think her nikon is as good as the leupold VXIII  i have on another rifle of mine.

i hunted with a guy who had a burris and he went round and round with them.. he had an issue with the recticle inside it falling off? and then the replacement getting foggy on the inside. the fogging issue i had witnessed

i would watch slickguns.com and go to cabelas bargain cave.. in the bargain cave if you have one of their 20-30-40 dollar off coupons you can save some money on an already marked down scope and maybe get a free upgrade.
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Offline MN RACK ATTACK

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I would have to agree with beeker, the Nikon prostaff is a great scope for the price. Ive got 2 and there nice. the only swift I ever had was replaced twice before I gave up on it. the slightest bump would have it out of adjustment. My father was always a Redfield or Weaver fan but ive had my best luck with Nikon and the Bushnell Banner series.
2020 Big Buck Slayer

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2016 Mno rockbass challenge champion
I have a Nikon pro staff with the bdc reticle and I love it. The scope picks up the light really well. I can an do even use it when I coyote hunt in January at night. The moon off the snow an i can see everything through that scope. They are quite affordable to 180$ I think in that ball park range give or take some

Offline corny13

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 ROCKBASS CHAMPION 2014
I've rifle hunted for deer now for 46 seasons... Don't scrimp on your scope for Geandpa's rifle.  Get the best you can afford.  Even look for a super used one before buying.  Have you looked at Vortex scopes?  Call Reeds in Walker great dealer and usually the cheapest around..

Offline corny13

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 ROCKBASS CHAMPION 2014
Dang phone I ment grandpa..  But get the best scope for light gathering you can afford.  I just checked Reeds they have a old style Swarovski 3-9 for $740.  Ok out of your price range but can u ever see in low light with them.

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
i also have the nikon prostaff, the only other scope id buy would be a leupold vari x II 3x9 bothese scopes have great light gathering capabilties at  primetime, ive got both, leuper on my 30-06 and nikon on my daughters 25-06
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline Onin24Eagle

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Have to agree with everyone on the Nikon Prostaff.  I have one on my .270WSM and love it.  I do have a nice Burris 3x9 (can't remember the model right now) on my .243 and have never had an issue with it.  I've had that one for 10 years.  The Burris is nice and clear but overall I do think the Nikon picks up more light.  To be fair though the Nikon is a 4x12x50 and the Burris is 3x9x40.  The 50 vs the 40 does make a difference in how much light it picks up.  I also have a Nikon Buckmaster on my 30-06, a gun I've only shot about 20 times in the past 15 years, all at targets when sighting in my deer rifles.  Haven't hunted with that one for at least 10 years so I don't really have much experience with it in low light.  Nice scope though.  Handles the recoil very well.  Last few years I shoot once or twice at the target and it's still dead on.

I also agree with Corny13 about Reeds.  AWESOME store!  They'll treat you right and have just about everything you could possibly need for any kind of hunting.
2011 MNO Deer Hunting Challenge Champion

Offline brandbll

• Outdoorsman
Thanks for all the help!  I'll probably go with the Prostaff from the looks of it.  It's on sale at Cabellas right now too.

And yeah Corny, I saw that advice in a lot of my research.  Unfortunately i'm not in the position to go out and spend that kind of money on a scope.  I could maybe justify it a little more if i had my own land and went every weekend, or used it for something more than MN deer.   I'm sure somewhere down the line i'll buy a nicer one, but right now i just need something that will function for me in the early hours.

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
if you're going to cabelas.. look for one of the "spend whatever and get whatever off coupons"... they send em all the time and you can use them online also. don't give them anymore then you have to..

some sites will have the code right on them so you can just punch it in and save.
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
if you  go into the bargain cave and find a decent scope they will also hagler on it depending on how long its been there
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
good point boar.. never hurts to ask "can you do any better on it"??? what do those guys care.

Offline gophergunner

• Master Outdoorsman
I've got two friends running those Redfield Revolution scopes.  Great guarantee, made by Leupold, very clear.  That would come in within your budget.  $200.00 would also get you into a Leupie VX I or a used VXII.  Check out the classified on 24 Hour Campfire, as there's all most always a used Leupie or two on there. The II's will be priced from $175-$225.