Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Hunter takes unicorn buck  (Read 1195 times)

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
   Hunter takes ‘unicorn buck’ in Bayfield County

Nov 26, 2015

:oops1:

faw down

:coffee: .......
GRAND VIEW — For Brian Moffitt, the giant whitetail buck he bagged earlier this month in southern Bayfield County is about as good as it gets for an avid archery hunter.

:popcorn: .......
The deer, nicknamed the “Unicorn Buck” by those who have seen it through the years, is unique — not only for its size but also for the non-typical third antler that juts nearly straight out from its forehead.

Moffitt, from LaPorte, Ind. was in the right spot at the right time when the buck made its presence known.

“I saw him coming in from about 80 yards out, there were a couple of does in front of him, and they went past me,” Moffitt said. “I had some scents out, and he smelled them. He started thrashing his head around and grunting; he really put on a show. And he came right in.”

Sitting about 20 feet up in his stand, Moffitt, who is strictly a  :archery: hunter in Wisconsin, said that once he realized the size of the buck he had time to get ready for his shot.

“I took my gloves off, unzipped my jacket and made a good shot. I shoot year-round, and it paid off,” Moffitt said.

The rack on Moffitt’s buck has good mass. The right side is palmated, with several kickers and burrs. Depending on how it’s scored, it has between 13 and 16 points. The antlers are so unusual it’s hard to know how they’ll measure until they’re officially scored.

“I’ve never seen anything like it,” said Moffitt, who has many years of hunting under his belt. “I’ve got several good bucks back at home, but this is the best one.”

Moffitt has been coming to northern Wisconsin most of his adult life. His father, Robert, bought a piece of property in the area when his sons were young, and they’ve been coming ever since, to fish or hunt.

Robert Moffitt is 71 years old now and didn’t make the trip up with Brian and the other hunters this fall. Brian said his thoughts turned to his father not long after putting his hands on the trophy deer.

“I want to thank my dad for buying this place — he didn’t make it up because of health reasons,” Brian Moffitt said. “We’re a tight family, and we’ve always done things together. I’ve sent him photos already; he’s pretty excited.”

Brian Moffitt poses with the "unicorn buck" he harvested in Bayfield County this fall during Wisconsin’s archery season. (Submitted photo)

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 11/27/15, 07:18:56 PM by Lee Borgersen »
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again