Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Grindstone Lake  (Read 7658 times)

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
I've looked 4 pages and saw no mention of Grindstone Lake which is surprising.  So I'll start a thread on the lake.  I have fished the lake since the 1970's.  They stock the lake with rainbow, brown, and lake trout.  I have done very well on the lake over the years.  It also has nice smallmouth, big pike, panfish, and smelt.  I fish for smelt there in the hard water season.  The boat landing has sucked recently with sand building up to the lake.  They are supposed to take care of that this spring so that would be nice in time for trout opener in May.  good luck.

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
wher abouts is this little gem u speak of?
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I have fished this lake for trout! One of our other members ice fished it a few times "Fireranger" I'm not sure which thread he was in though....

We always dropped the kids off on the south end every year for summer camp. Nice lake!
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Grindstone is off 35W near Sandstone about 5 miles west of there.  The bible camp on the south end has been there for many years.  Locals swim on that south end.  At one time the state record brown trout came out of there along with the state record sturgeon.  Biggest brown I caught out of there was 5 pounds.  Saw a lady with a 6 pounder at the landing one time.  I have some pics of the lake on my Where To Go page on my site below.  Always had a GTG there also in February.  Not this year, the ice  was too spotty.  Guy's would bring stuff to eat and I always made some homemade smoked polish with my German Kraut.  Always a good time.  Fishing for smelt through the ice is becoming a big thing out there.  I think I have met Fireranger at one of the GTG's I've had there.  good luck.

Offline corny13

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 ROCKBASS CHAMPION 2014
Great web page Reinhard. :happy1:  Those sausages made me hungry!!

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks Corny.  I'ts been a fun hobby for me.  I'll be fishing Grindstone a lot this year right from the week of the opener.  Hopefully they fix that landing this spring so I can get out there in the summer also.  Got a couple of big downrigers that I want to try there.  good luck.

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Cool, some times I wish i was so far north.
78.50"

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
A fellow I know down here told me that they use to catch huge crappies on Grindstone at one time. Are there still some of them in there?

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's

Ya, me too. I'll swing by and pick ya up. Go whack some slab papermouths while RH cooks us dinner.   ;)

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
oh hell yeah!
78.50"

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Roony,  my personal best crappie came from the Grind, a 17 incher.  Yes there are big crappies in the lake.  Big pike and big smallmouths as well.  They all feed on those smelt.  Caught 2 6 pound smallies there over the years.  Keep in mind that I have fished it since the early 70's so it's not like I alway get big ones but at times I luck out.  I do get a few 15 inchers every year but I have never topped the 17 incher.  You can see on my site in the Where To Go page some pics of Grindstone there.  My friends always give me a hard time because I go there so much.  "Oh, Grindstone again".  Yep.  You can get into rainbows and browns near the surface trolling all through June.  good luck.

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King

Ya, me too. I'll swing by and pick ya up. Go whack some slab papermouths while RH cooks us dinner.   ;)

I hope my place happens to be on the way.  Will ride in trunk or pickup bed for good fishing and good guys. :happy1:
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
G, the lake is just a little north of me. We can fish it.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King

I'm in :happy1:

Just North of you? :scratch:  it looks like it's 4 inches away on the map  :doah:
« Last Edit: May 05/05/16, 01:55:03 PM by The General »
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
I'll post when I'm going there and if you can make it, we can meet up there.  Best Crappie fishing in the shallows is right around Memorial day week through June, but for trout it will be good from opener through June on the surface.  Crappies go shallow later on this lake since it's so deep and the warm up is later..  good luck.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman

I'm in :happy1:

Just North of you? :scratch:  it looks like it's 4 inches away on the map  :doah:

See...there you go again over exaggerating on length! Last time I talked to yur wife, she was going to set you straight. 4 inches is NOT 10 inches  :rotflmao: ....sheeeze Therefore 1 inch is not 4 inches. And stop posting pictures of yourself in the Saloon....it's embarrassing.  ;)

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
I'll post when I'm going there and if you can make it, we can meet up there.  Best Crappie fishing in the shallows is right around Memorial day week through June, but for trout it will be good from opener through June on the surface.  Crappies go shallow later on this lake since it's so deep and the warm up is later..  good luck.
I went to your page and looked at the pics. It looks like you've had a lot of good times in Grindstone, among other places. Nice of you to share the pics and the information.

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks Rooney.  Ya lot of good times on that lake for sure and more to come.   I'll be there after opener.  good luck.