Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Musky Stockin Controversy  (Read 10406 times)

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
      Grit Behind MN’s Muskie Stocking Controversy :doah:

3/ 25/ 16

:reporter; .......
Minnesota’s controversial muskie stocking plan hit a snag Tuesday at the Capitol.

Following a spirited debate, a House committee Tuesday approved a ban on the state’s planned expansion of muskellunge stocking. :police:

:coffee: ......
The bill, which now heads to the full House for a potential vote, would ban muskie stocking on six lakes, halting a plan by the Department of Natural Resources to introduce the popular sport fish into four of those lakes. The lakes are: Big Marine Lake in Washington County, Gull Lake near Brainerd, the Fairmont Chain in Fairmont, and one of three lakes in Otter Tail County: Lizzie, Loon or Franklin.

The measure would not affect the 99 lakes already managed for muskie populations, including 44 lakes where they’re stocked and not native. Without legislative action, the DNR has the authority to stock the lakes. But the bill, if approved and signed into law, would trump that.

The measure was approved on a voice vote, so there’s no tally, but a number of voices could be heard in opposition.

The vote followed a hearing in which the same arguments :blablabla: that have simmered for months — years in the larger context of muskie controversies — were hashed out.

Supporters of the ban (opponents of muskie stocking), including representatives from several lake associations, cited the potential for muskies to damage walleye and panfish populations, risk of increased boat traffic from tournament anglers, and a general distrust of the DNR. :moon:

Minnesota’s controversial muskie stocking plan hit a snag Tuesday at the Capitol. :taz:

:coffee: more:

Opponents of the ban (stocking supporters), including the DNR, said there’s no evidence muskie stocking harms anything, and there’s popular support for the new lakes.

Rep. Tom Hackbarth, R-Cedar, who chairs the Mining and Outdoor Recreation Policy Committee, chastised DNR fisheries Chief Don Pereira for the agency moving ahead over objections from lake homeowner associations. “The people who live along those lakes take very good care of those lakes, and then you don’t listen to them,” Hackbarth said.

Pereira said the majority of public comments the agency has received are in favor of the stocking expansion and described muskies as “ecologically benign” at the low densities planned to result from the stocking stocking, generally one adult for every four to 10 acres of water.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline corny13

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 ROCKBASS CHAMPION 2014
      Grit Behind MN’s Muskie Stocking Controversy :doah:

3/ 25/ 16

:reporter; .......

Supporters of the ban (opponents of muskie stocking), including representatives from several lake associations, cited the potential for muskies to damage walleye and panfish populations, risk of increased BOAT traffic from tournament anglers, and a general distrust of the DNR. :moon:

Lee your reporter got this a bit wrong... its basically Rich  :moon: that don't want Young male fishermen disturbing THEIR Lake.....Gull Lake .... from their cocktail cruises....  Rep. Anderson has a monster lake home there.  Most Old farts aren't muskie fishermen, very few female muskie fisherwomen...   The Biology is there that muskie don't prey on walleye much, mainly non spiney fish like suckers, tulibee, whitefish.  The walleye excuse doesn't even make since with Leech Lake the home of all the stocking muskie stock has great walleye fishing...as long as not netted or over limited out...  They just don't want more young guys, without a big House, but big boats on their Lakes, IMO. :bonk:

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
Your right Corn. I read an article a while back where the locals' were making all kinds of excuses about why no Muskies. "Slob fisherman will destroy the lake and surrounding properties." "The home values will go down." I can't let my grand kids sit on the dock because the musky will bite their feet off if they dangle them in the water."

The lake I guide on is almost all huge homes and properties. The locals told the townships around the lake to keep raising all the launch fees. Finally the DNR stepped in and told them it's not fare to the fisherman and they should be lowered. ( the DNR has no launches ) All the launches are owned by the  townships. The DNR said  "if you don't provide reasonable rates for the fisherman then we will stop stocking the lake!

So they stopped stocking. The wealthy folks said we don't give a rats :moon:   

After 4 yrs. The DNR  took the 4 surrounding townships to court and won. Thus the launch fees went down and stocking returned. :happy1:
« Last Edit: March 03/26/16, 09:16:14 AM by Lee Borgersen »

Many BWCA Reports

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline Aceguide

• Outdoorsman
Corny is right on this issue. They are using the Muskie stocking issue just to get local control over "Their Lake".  The thing you need to understand is that if passed it will open the door for land owner control over the stocking of all other species as well, not just Muskies. These lakes are owned by the people of Minnesota, not just a few wealthy land owners, many of whom are not even Minnesota residents during the off season.

Lake Vermilion just had it's highest Walleye test nets in over 30 years and we also have a very healthy Muskie population. You can't deny the science, there isn't any proof that Muskies have any negative impact on other fish populations, including Walleyes. ;)

"Ace"  :happy1:

'It's just fishing man"
Terry "Ace" Sjoberg
Ace guide service.
Beautiful Lake Vermilion.
Check us out on facebook.

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
Whoa Whoa Whoa There fellers!!!!
 I have always been against lake associations! I own 4 lots on 3 different lakes.This year where our residence is on Diamond lake in Kandiyohi county we have 2 side by side lots.
 The new water district for this area,which is about 4-6 years old??I think? Still a new water district has accessed all first tier lake shore owners a NEW TAX for invasive species!!! We are now paying on a public lake for its upkeep!! The assocication provides dumpsters at 2 landings and yet every spring WE Lakeshore owners have to pick up garbage from slobs who leave it on the ice! Now we pay taxes for curlyleaf pond weed eradication without public monies!!! WE ARE TAXED FOR THIS LAKESHORE OWNERS!! I ask is that fair on a public lake??
 I now personally think if we have to pay for invasives which will come beyond the curly leaf,like zebs,fleas etc. The general public does not pay for I say close all public accesses!! UNLESS the general public pitches in!!
   This just started this tax year of 2016.Why should we shore owners pay when most garbage and invasives come from people who dont have to pick it up and pay for the costs??Does that seem fair??
       This new tax has me and many on the lake pissed!! Public lake??Not no more!! I say close it if this keeps up!!
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2016 Mno rockbass challenge champion
Then close those lakes dew2. But on top of it DNR can stop all stocking and all regulations for those lakes as well. This wasn't something the lake association was forced to do they chose to do it so the issue is on them. All lake shore is taxed in the first place some more then others. Ask people who live on lake Minnetonka or green lake.
« Last Edit: April 04/11/16, 04:40:59 PM by Cody Gruchow »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Then close those lakes glen. But on top of it DNR can stop all stocking and all regulations for those lakes as well. This wasn't something the lake association was forced to do they chose to do it so the issue is on them. All lake shore is taxed in the first place some more then others. Ask people who live on lake Minnetonka or green lake.
WHOA!!!!!!!!!! Wait a minute bucko I aint mentioned nuttin about this. keep me out of it!!!!!!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline markn

• Master Outdoorsman
Two things came to mind reading the previous posts;

1. I agree with Corny and around Alex where I live and spend some time fishing the best walleye lakes are also the best musky lakes. I believe the two can live together without issue.

2. Dew, before you close all the lake accesses you may want to go to a county commissioners meeting or two to discuss their reasons for the additional "lake fees" (taxes) you're paying on your property. I believe they're making the increases and that's where I'd start.

Just my thoughts.
mm

Offline Aceguide

• Outdoorsman
Dew, I am a lakeshore owner as well. I guess you are forgetting all the years when land owners contaminated lakes with septic runoff and fertilizer runoff into our public waters. Nobody is totally innocent when it comes to pollution of our lakes and rivers. Instead of pointing fingers we should all work together to fix the problem. Closing "Your lake" is not the answer. We all have a stake in this and believe me, I have seen land owners throw trash and break the rules before. I doubt you could inspect all the lakeshore owners septic systems and not find several that are not up to code.

"It's just fishing man"
Terry "Ace" Sjoberg
Ace guide service.

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
Dew, I am a lakeshore owner as well. I guess you are forgetting all the years when land owners contaminated lakes with septic runoff and fertilizer runoff into our public waters. Nobody is totally innocent when it comes to pollution of our lakes and rivers. Instead of pointing fingers we should all work together to fix the problem. Closing "Your lake" is not the answer. We all have a stake in this and believe me, I have seen land owners throw trash and break the rules before. I doubt you could inspect all the lakeshore owners septic systems and not find several that are not up to code.

"It's just fishing man"
Igot cha!! People need to take care of the environment!!!
 Back in 2010 when all farmers pointed fingers at lakeshore owners for septic polution and said lakes are being downgraded by septic NOT the practices of the stewards of the land.In outstate Mn most county commissioners are farmers SOOOOOO We were required to upgrade to sanitary sewer!!! At a cost on average of 18000.00 per lot,My 2 lots cost 36,000.00.Know what improvements are seen now?? ZERO! the degradation of the lake is yet going down hill!
 Someone mentioned go to the county commissioners because the water dristrict is taxing us for weed eradication. Wish I could!! however the water dristrice covers many counties and is a govt enty all by it self! Commissinoers cant help!
 I did go through the tax deal in 2006,first one has to log a complaint  with the township durning the Truth in taxaction meetings held once a year, In 06 I logged a complaint with the township which once logged the next year the county during truth in taxaction hearings heard me out,The 3ed year we had county assessors re assess the bay which is 90 to 120 of narrow leaf cattails (A Invasive species) they did determine we were not lakeshore but a slew.Some new commers were pissed at me the long time owners praised me for getting taxes cut in 1/2 which also reduced estimated value of properties.
 So I been through it for years and now we lakeshore owners are paying for weed eradication on public waters!!!! Where did the public go????? where is their fee for public waters??
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Offline Aceguide

• Outdoorsman
I feel for you Dew.
Weed removal is a local decision and it's their choice to do it. Unfortunately no matter how careful we are when we take our boats to other lakes. There are always some boaters that just don't give a rats behind if they are transporting evasives from one lake to another. :scratch:

"Ace" :happy1:

"It's just fishing man"
Terry "Ace" Sjoberg
Ace guide service.

Offline K.O.W.

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I think this should come back up. Did anyone read today's March 18th star and tribune Sunday paper this Alexandria guy wants to shut down Ottertail County to muskies. Just be done with em. Not native neither are pheasants and his pouch is full every October. I don't want some Douglas county guy telling the dnr what to do. Where's the outrage ? Who is like our voice ? Where are the guides who make their house payments off muskies from this county ? I went on other websites nothing not a word. So I guess this is how it is. 1,001 lakes in OTC and we can't have 4 or 5 with basically large northerns in them. Anyone got any blood left in your hands ? Quit sitting on them !! Tell this clown from Alexandria he has bigger concerns then to worry about fish he's knows nothing about. The O in my name stands for Ottertail ! Pelican and Battle are super good walleye lakes or there wouldn't be the harem of ice houses on them in the winter and for Beers lakes cmon that's a rathole of timber and thick vegetation snag central it isn't walleye habitat. Cmon speak up people !

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
We've been on this property since '63 & back then there was still 6-8, maybe 10-12 empty lots on our 80 acre bay, no more. We've been a member of the lake assoc. since it started in '92 as well. What got the assoc. started was that the then new owners of the resort had plans on putting a trailer court in. It didn't take long to get that off the menu, the lake assoc. has done a lot of good things since. One project just completed was to protect a small lake connected to ours from developers. With the help of the DNR & the wealthiest family on the lake, they own at least 4 or 5 places, the lake assoc was able to purchase all the land around the little lake & put it in some sort of nature conservancy, so they can't build a road & develop the land around it ever. I'm not a musky fisherman but might be if they were in this lake. I do believe that the politicians shouldn't be tellin the DNR how to do their business though.  :pouty: :mad1:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
We've been on this property since '63 & back then there was still 6-8, maybe 10-12 empty lots on our 80 acre bay, no more. We've been a member of the lake assoc. since it started in '92 as well. What got the assoc. started was that the then new owners of the resort had plans on putting a trailer court in. It didn't take long to get that off the menu, the lake assoc. has done a lot of good things since. One project just completed was to protect a small lake connected to ours from developers. With the help of the DNR & the wealthiest family on the lake, they own at least 4 or 5 places, the lake assoc was able to purchase all the land around the little lake & put it in some sort of nature conservancy, so they can't build a road & develop the land around it ever. I'm not a musky fisherman but might be if they were in this lake. I do believe that the politicians shouldn't be tellin the DNR how to do their business though.  :pouty: :mad1:
ya big bully!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline K.O.W.

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
See what I mean ? I think the blame on those lakes with muskies for inhaling walleyes = the GPS, the aquaviews, the vexilars etc the equipment at our disposal is what is gutting some MN lakes along with ice fishing as certainly more of the issue then the damage muskies do to large fisheries like Pelican and Battle. Beers is panfish bass lake few pike a single walleye is about it ever in a trapnet. Well this Alexandria Cardinal guy is my vote for Omega Clown of the Year. If there's truly 1,001 lakes in Ottertail county and 3-4 that have muskies then I'd say you have 997 lakes to choose from. Sell your place no one is guaranteed tomorrow, move on if it irritates you that much, try a new adventure new lake fresh faces, less stress over the muskellunge, you'll sleep better and if you have a place on Pelican or Battle your wallet is plenty fat or you would've sold out by now. Move on I had deer Hunter's invade "my" public land spot I hunted for many years so guess what I moved on. You can to it must irritate some to see guys late November trying for muskies no one is out doing the same on walleyes, they're waiting for first ice to roast em.

Offline K.O.W.

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Tim Spielman thank you today's outdoor news. My friend says Pelican is so polluted he and dozens of friends will not eat fish from polluted Pelican. They're all from Pelican Rapids. Is that true idk. If you read that outdoor news further same Alexandria Cardinal guy Douglas county guy who is firing up these bills for this mess also get this people you'll know what kind of guy this is when you you read this bill he's dialing up. LOL, no kidding now "Party Turkey Hunting" LOL so big stud Alex clown can pocket 4-5 tags from neighbors kids wife mom whoever and if a flock of jakes come in he can ground swat and lambast as many heads as he can line up. Then, spread em out for a photo. Then heck Jim Bob and sue got tags so out he goes again. Douglas county needs to wake up and vote this guy out cmon. Why is he spending so much time with ottertail county when he should be helping Douglas county, why didn't he go after Douglas county lakes like Lobster, Mina, Oscsr, not sure on Miltona ? If you see a guy rodding around with a green wig on between Alexandria and Fergus I'd know exactly who it is.

Offline K.O.W.

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
In few words I'm saddened that no one seems to care on this MNO about fishing muskies in OTC. Is it no one is ever on this musky forum or is it more well it isn't the musky waters I fish anyway or what ? I guess millionaires get their way on Pelican and Battle. Beers is laughable. I forget how many million dollar places are on Pelican, the answer is several. Have any of you heard on TV, Radio, or internet that resorts on those 2 lakes are struggling to make it ? I haven't and that if the musky gets weaned out walleye populations will just explode like mad. Then you have to dodge the jet skis, pontoons, sailboats, etc then you can get back to a new/old excuse for failing to catch walleyes, the weather. Wrong wind wrong you name it. I don't think lakeshore owners and the doofus from Alec, millionaires or not should dictate what the dnr stocks and where. So the resort things a hoax they're fine. The eating the walleyes up is false Battle is one of the best walleye lakes in the state. Pelican has a solid walleye population albeit my friends rarely fish it because they refuse to eat a pelican fish. I'm off to other websites to see if I can find any outrage on this topic, I hope to see a few big boys a barkin IE. Jerry S, Dave W., Ben O. Mike K. Jason H. Any musky Hunter staff maybe a leech lake coalition of guides guy idk or what is this just a bunch of wait and see. Will be back

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
First off I really don't have any skin in this game and I don't fish muskies, for that matter I don't fish walleyes much.  And the nearest I can remember the closest I fished in otter tail county was the perham, dent area. Seems you have a bone to pick with a certain individual to me?? :scratch:

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
:reporter; Muskie-walleye war :ustroops: flares up  :campfire: at state Capitol: training-087

Bill would halt stocking, :moon: open spearing, :bonk: lower minimums on some waters. :doah: :angry2:

Mar 25, 2018 at 6:38 p.m.

:reporter; .....
ST. PAUL — Minnesota's simmering civil war of game fish — muskies vs. walleyes — has flared up at the state Capitol.

In response to a yearslong state effort to expand muskie stocking, a bipartisan group of lawmakers have proposed a sweeping bill that would turn back the clock on recent victories for muskie fishing enthusiasts.

The proposal sides squarely with groups of walleye anglers and lake associations who for years have been leery of the muskellunge, the Department of Natural Resources, and, to some extent, those who fish for muskies, a larger, less-common cousin of northern pike.

The bill would even allow spearing of muskies on some lakes, potentially re-opening an old wound within the fishing community.

Here are some of highlights of the bill:

No more new muskie lakes. The bill would put a moratorium on the DNR's plan to slowly increase the number of waters where muskies are stocked. Both walleyes and muskies are native to Minnesota, but in some waters, the populations — of either fish — are fully reliant on stocked fish reared in state hatcheries. Under the bill, any money saved from not stocking muskies would have to be spent on walleye stocking.
County board veto power. Boards would be able to overrule the DNR's fish stocking plans and could dictate what fish the DNR should — or shouldn't — stock in any lake within that county. This level of local control would be unprecedented in Minnesota fish and wildlife management in modern history.

Minimum muskie size lowered to 20 inches on some waters. On waters where muskies are neither native nor stocked, the minimum size to keep a muskie would be lowered to 20 inches. Under pressure from organized groups of muskie aficionados, muskie minimum sizes have been increasing for years in Minnesota as a way to grow larger and larger trophies. Currently, the minimum size is 54 inches, making it essentially a catch-and-release endeavor.

Otter Tail County muskie stocking ban. Home to a number of lakes that have yielded potential state-record muskies, Otter Tail County is also the epicenter of the controversy. The bill would ban stocking of muskies anywhere in the county until at least 2023, and stocking could only resume if a "stakeholder group" recommends they be stocked. It would also appropriate $50,000 to the University of Minnesota to study the effects of muskie stocking on native fish in the county.

Muskie spearing. On waters where muskies are neither native nor stocked — so, in lakes where muskies have migrated — they could be speared through ice from "dark houses." Dark house spearing has traditionally targeted northern pike. Spearing enthusiasts saw their lakes limited for years in efforts to protect muskies, a contentious progression. But a detente between the adversaries emerged a decade ago, and now spearing is open on nearly every lake in the state — only for pike, catfish and lake whitefish. Both walleyes and muskies are protected from spearing. Allowing muskies to be speared, even on lakes without stocked or naturally reproducing populations, is tantamount to fighting words for muskie supporters.

What's the science?

Officially, the controversy comes down to this: Some, notably property owners along some lakes, claim muskies are damaging walleye populations, while muskie supporters — and the DNR — say there's no science to back that up. :tut:

State Sen. Bill Ingebrigtsen, R-Alexandria, the chief sponsor of the bill, suggested the science isn't set on the question. "It goes back and forth with the science as to what they do to (other) game fish," he said.

That's a stretch.

Researchers in Minnesota and Wisconsin have not found walleye populations suffer from muskie stockings. In fact, studies published in peer-reviewed journals have found on some types of lakes, walleyes might benefit. Wisconsin researchers have found it's possible to overstock muskies, with stocking far more aggressive than what Minnesota does, but the victims weren't other fish; it was simply that the muskies didn't grow well.

In 2015, the Pelican Lake Property Owners Association sued the DNR to try to halt muskie stocking on Pelican, where muskies have been planted regularly since the late 1970s. After hearing arguments from the group and the DNR, Otter Tail County District Judge Waldemar Senyk rejected the property owners' arguments, concluding muskie stocking wouldn't harm the lake.

In truth, the issue cuts deeper than science.

What's really going on? :confused:

"This has been brewing for some time," Ingebrigtsen acknowledged. "There are philosophical and social issues that are certainly part of this."

In broad strokes, a typical Minnesota walleye angler is anyone with a bucket of bait, a rod and a motorboat. It's the state fish and the state's most sought-after fish — and a fish fry dinner is often part of the goal.

A typical muskie angler has several rods and an arsenal of pricey lures and is best served aboard the deck of a high-performance fishing boat that costs in excess of $20,000 — and he wouldn't dream of killing one.

If the walleye is the lunch pail of Minnesota waters, the muskie is dinner out (without the eating).

Ingebrigtsen said he's working for the lunch-pail crowd, which might be less organized but easily outnumbers the dinner-out crowd.

"Really and truly, the state fish is what everyone goes up to the cabin to catch," he said. "Way more people want walleye than muskie, simple as that. And the muskie guys, they're not going to lose opportunities. There are plenty of places for them to fish."

A public hearing is scheduled for Monday night, March 26, at the Capitol, and groups on both sides are expected to show a strong presence.

Prominent supporters  :tut:

The issue cuts across party lines, so its likelihood of success is unclear. :moon:

Ingebrigtsen indicated it's possible the bill could change, and muskie advocates said they fear the core issue of stripping the DNR of its authority to stock fish in state waters is the ultimate goal.

Ingebrigtsen introduced the measure with the support of Senate Majority Leader Paul Gazelka, R-Nisswa, and Minority Leader Tom Bakk, DFL-Cook.

Gazelka said Thursday he will remove his name from the bill. He didn't say he no longer supports it, but rather that he doesn't want his sponsorship to influence how the bill proceeds. "I want to let the process play out," he said.

State Sen. Carrie Rudd, R-Breezy Point, who chairs the environment and natural resources committee, where the bill currently sits, said she's "1,000 percent against it."

When asked if she has a sense of how her colleagues feel, she said, "I honestly don't know. :scratch: Many people aren't really engaged in this debate like I've been, so a lot of them are trying to figure it out."
« Last Edit: March 03/26/18, 05:57:09 AM by Lee Borgersen »

Many BWCA Reports

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
 :reporter;SF3319 is BAD for Fishing :crazy:

:coffee: Lindner's Angling Edge

A new bill has been introduced in our home state of Minnesota that would be DEVESTATING for musky fishing and would set a bad precidence for fisheries management more generally in the state. This is a terrible bill for ALL ANGLERS, whether you're a fan of muskies, walleyes, panfish, bass, etc. This bill is scary for anyone who enjoys fishing.

Video......

https://www.facebook.com/LindnersAnglingEdge/videos/1803431226374514/

Many BWCA Reports

Offline K.O.W.

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Have little to say,  that said it all mercy. People already spear muskies at times it's a part of why and spawning after northerns that they are such a low density. Resorts r fine, walleyes are thick in battle and pelican, there's great rivers and creeks in both spawning eyes I witnessed by the thousands north side of battle going into Molly stark is it ? That bridge all sizes thick walleyes. I don't fish Pelican have but its too far really and battle maybe 2x a year musky 3-4 rapala eye runs on battle and man we did great to where you completely forget muskies are in the lake but what a waste of taxpayer dollar and time etc let the DNR fisheries do what it wants I hardly believe fishing is that blood and guts in your system that it's just a travesty and you could buy Moreys in motley so eating fish is no issue idk leave it alone things are perfectly in balance off to Snow Goose Camp 2018

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Ace, I have had experiences with obnoxious musky guys on Vermilion, so I can see why some folks would rather not have muskies in the local lake they fish on.   

Personally I sort of like having muskies in Vermilion.   They are good for the local economy and the guys after them are fun to watch, except for the few holes.   But the DNR doesn't seem to do a good job of recruiting locals to their point of view.   And the fact is that, for non musky fishermen and locals there is little if any benefit to stocking muskies in a lake.   

I still run into anti-musky folks from time to time around my end of Vermilion.   

A small pressure group can have an outsized influence.  Just look at harpooners league or whatever they call themselves, or the trophy deer association.  So some musky guys threw a pounder at the wrong guy's boat one too many times and he fired a shot across the bow.   

Offline K.O.W.

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Friends of mine that work for superior lakeside on the western shore of pelican lake I asked them..... You've worked 20 years for superior you 10 etc how often do you see walleye fishermen on pelican ? Answer was like any other lake May yes June some then done basically until some fall fishing. It's all pontoons jet skis pleasure boaters now. They said we did some work on battle also. Any battle reports ? Yes, excellent walleye lake, the work we did for a guy he showed us lots of walleye photos from over the years they do very well in battle. Hold the fort everyone. I just recalled why that guy is so pissed etc it isn't the Muskie it was the "stick it to Fargo" comments made by that county commissioner guy that's what riled him stick it to Fargo meaning tax the tar out of the non residents no wonder well it makes sense now he's pissed about that yet man I feel dumb for not connecting that sooner mercy.

Offline K.O.W.

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Read back page today's Outdoor News and the "fake news" on Muskies in Woman Lake MN guessing Cass county. Said the walleyes are doing great, smallmouth state record is coming from Woman, quality sized fish all species. Muskies low density but thick fish. See that can not be true it's fake news. Muskies seek out spiny walleyes for feed. We find dozens of dead Muskies that tried to eat a to big walleye stuck in the throat. Cmon. Muskies eat a ton of rough fish I have seen that for years. Carp. They will wail on carp. So Pelican Lake is plastered with million dollar places and "lawns". Let's let pelican no stock OTC guy tell us the fertilizers he's spreading, the glyphosphates he's squirtin, how's his sewer I mean there are huge issues aquatic nuisance species cmon dnr stocking Muskies priorities people we better get better at ranking them. Pelican is a pus hole anymore surrounded by manicured lawns and gutted the lake of shoreline habitat all those big shots have. There's nothing scenic anymore when u fish pelican. County probably has a 8% of kids living homeless and that means even kids living with grandparents I think get counted  and these guys are flying around on jet packs and a 300 horse on a pontoon, how sad for mankind sorta kinda u know.

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Read back page today's Outdoor News and the "fake news" on Muskies in Woman Lake MN guessing Cass county. Said the walleyes are doing great, smallmouth state record is coming from Woman, quality sized fish all species. Muskies low density but thick fish. See that can not be true it's fake news. Muskies seek out spiny walleyes for feed. We find dozens of dead Muskies that tried to eat a to big walleye stuck in the throat. Cmon. Muskies eat a ton of rough fish I have seen that for years. Carp. They will wail on carp. So Pelican Lake is plastered with million dollar places and "lawns". Let's let pelican no stock OTC guy tell us the fertilizers he's spreading, the glyphosphates he's squirtin, how's his sewer I mean there are huge issues aquatic nuisance species cmon dnr stocking Muskies priorities people we better get better at ranking them. Pelican is a pus hole anymore surrounded by manicured lawns and gutted the lake of shoreline habitat all those big shots have. There's nothing scenic anymore when u fish pelican. County probably has a 8% of kids living homeless and that means even kids living with grandparents I think get counted  and these guys are flying around on jet packs and a 300 horse on a pontoon, how sad for mankind sorta kinda u know.

Huh?   Are you for or against muskies?   (I can tell you don't like folks making more money than you do)

Offline K.O.W.

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Lol I could care less. I certainly don't like it when $ gets its way would be more like it. Few examples hmmm  take the golf course in Perham MN hole # 9 used to be a par 5 on Maple now because someone has massive $ he told the course I'm buying that corner area and he did and now it's a par 4 no kidding, all because of $ at least legal $ not like the Clinton slush fund and thee Obama foundation the Del foundation u bet pocket 96% pay out 4 it's simple. I'm doing just fine own plenty of land and got 2 giant 10 pointers to watch most every night as well as others so ripe with geese pheasants bear etc couldn't be doing better. Doing good just sick of seeing fat walleted crybabies getting their way or having the ability to try to do so only because they have lined pockets and who says they worked hard for it ? My loaded brother in law cmon some/many are lined by daddy and daddy's daddy

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's

:scratch:

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman

:scratch:

:scratch: :scratch: :doofus:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
I believe everyone should own a pair of musky stockings.  :laugh: