Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Steelhead  (Read 3617 times)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Things have been a little busy lately, but I'm hoping to make a run up soon. With the recent rain, the smelt and steelhead are running. I need a few for the smoker!
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Get on Reinhardt good side. He has been going that way occasionally. And hecis originally from the Duluth area.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Rein said the fish are in the rivers right now,steelhead must be released but the loopers are goin as well.

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
We had a good season this year.  Can't wait till next spring.  I did loose a huge rainbow this spring.  Largest one I have ever had on.  Could of gone 8 plus pounds.  Two feet from shore and she went off.  Bent my hook.  This type of fishing is in your blood.  It's not for everybody.  The weather can be brutal at times.  Numb hands and frosted lines at times.  Good weather is a bonus, but it seems the trout bite better when it's miserable out.  Well worth it though.  Nice to have a little brandy with you for a bump once in awhile.  good luck.

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Did the last of my Michigan steelhead over the weekend,steelhead is the best smoked fish in my book...

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Great job Snow!!  Love it!!  good luck.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
That looks great.  I have some Alaska salmon in the freezer from my uncle.  I need to get to smoking some of it.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I hear ya RH, I have the same addiction. I try and make a few trips every spring. I used to go salmon fishing with my brother inlaw....but it's just not the same.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
We went salmon fishing also in the streams back in the 70's up to the early 90's when it started to slow down do to the DNR no longer stocking them.  According to the DNR, the north shore streams just are not suitable for salmon spawning.  too many barriers.  I have to agree, but there are some streams that have decent conditions for them.  There is still a small run of kings and coho's but very small in a couple of streams there.  Still have a strong run of pinks but by the time they get in the rivers they are not very good to eat.  My brother had the state record king back in 1988, but it got beat a couple of days later by a few ounces.  He still would have had that record if he didn't drag that salmon around all day with him, loosing most of the eggs.  His friend told him to get it weighed up on the way back.  They did and it became the state record at that time.

His friend who was also a cop, did taxidermy on the side.  He told my brother he would do it for him.  Ed, [my brother] said he could keep it in his shop for a spell to show his customers.  Couple of years later Ed got the salmon back and it's in his house on his wall.   Mix of pics.  Some with steelhead, loopers, and a old pic in the late 60's that I took of the Knife river when steelhead runs were awesome.  Top pic is of my brothers state record King and a pic of a 5 pound brookie my brother got north of Hoveland in the stream.  he got that one mounted also. Lot's of memories.  good luck.

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Great memories there rein,thanx for sharing.Back in he mid 70's I nailed a lake run brookie on a small stream near two harbors,way back to the 1st barrier at the time,she ran just over two pounds,when I cleaned it it had a 12" pine snake in its stomach,sadly those days are gone,great steelhead runs back then as you stated,fun times.

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya Snow,  so many memories it's almost belongs in a book.  I'm sure that's the story with you also.  good luck.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Exactly.....the salmon fishing I did with the brother inlaw, was on his 23 foot searay...trolling around. I'd rather be standing in a river.