Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Last Minute Baby Backs  (Read 5844 times)

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Been on this diet for a couple of months and felt deprived.  A butcher buddy of mine called me about some natural baby backs [frozen] that they got in by mistake.  2.99 lb. he said, and I said save me 4 of those in the freezer until i get there.  he did and being deprived I said I'm making on of those today.  he said he would of thawed out one of those for me had he known.  I said thank you very much for that, but my German brain has a idea.  Redneck thawing.  Threw a rack on top of the dash of my truck by the heat vents and turned the heat on defrost.  By the time I got home they were thawed. Not time for the grill or my smoker but the oven was there.  350 and some beer on the bottom with spices and foiled the top to speed things up.  Made up a small batch of my Kalbi sauce and brushed it on here and there once I took the foil off.  Diner was done by 6 pm.  Brown rice on the side which is something I have gotten to like, but I have learned to buy the good stuff.  good luck.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
That looks great as usual, RH! Kalbi sounds great on those! Thought I'd poke my nose in  over here... ;D

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Looks great RH! I didn't have much for breakfast so I'll be up.  :happy1:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm a newbe here,  Just getting to know some of these guy's, but you guy's are very familiar for sure.  Nice to see ya.  good luck.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Same here, RH!  How did Dotch get a pic of my girlfriend for his avatar, anyway?! :scratch:

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
bbecause bboar was done withh  jher.  badoomspish!! brother rebb!  so awsome yur here!!
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Why, thanky sir!! Good to be here among friends and normal folk! Well, maybe that's stretchin' it just a bit... :whistling: Figgered ya needed a real fisherman and cook over here.
« Last Edit: April 04/29/16, 05:55:27 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Yeah cant seem to get smurf/glenn to learn either of them.LOL!
78.50"

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
Looks good RH :happy1:  I think everyone would like to come over.  I hear Boar is watching Dotch's pic and stuffing sausage. ;)
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
opps sorry reiny, i gotr exccited and didnt mean to hijack.. looks awsome!! nicce job!!
78.50"

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Why, thanky sir!! Good to be here among friends and normal folk! Well, maybe that's stretchin' it just a bit... :whistling: Figgered ya needed a real fisherman and cook over here.
sheez...........not you here too!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :doah: :doah: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: training-087 training-087
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
HEY!!! You invited me, among others!!! Better put on yer big girl panties now, 'cuz here I am, scooter!!!   :police:

RH, those look great. Was gonna pick up a rack of piggie ribs and do some trimming today, but I ended up in the shoe store for new tennies, then in the gun shop.....and when I got home,I  totally forgot the ribs!!!!!    :bonk:
« Last Edit: May 05/02/16, 07:12:15 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
LIKE... :fisherman:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
HEY!!! You invited me, among others!!! Better put on yer big girl panties now, 'cuz here I am, scooter!!!   :police:

RH, those look great. Was gonna pick up a rack of piggie ribs and do some trimming today, but I ended up in the shoe store for new tennies, then in the gun shop.....and when I got home,I  totally forgot the ribs!!!!!    :bonk:

Hopefully the stop involved a new gun.  Can never have enough :happy1:

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
This is my rifle this is my gun....... 

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
You want a gun... here is what the son in law has been working on the last few years over in Fridley.....

https://youtu.be/cH11dBX9P3g

I like the way it can make all the rounds land at the same time

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
I could use one of them mounted in the truck for striped gopher hunting. :happy1:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey!!! welcome Del!!!! Glad to see ya here!!!!!!!!!!!   :happy1:

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Del, welcome!!!!  Love to see the military getting what they need to protect our country.  good luck.

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
I don't know if it is what they need but it is really cool, and it has paid his bills.   All automatic with precision guided projectiles.  30 seconds from start to firing first projectile. 60 mile range. 

Next big thing that is coming is railguns.... 

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Darn it RH.  I stopped at the store after work and I of course was hungry.  I love grocery shopping when I am hungry.  Well I was thinking of this rib post.  First I picked up a rack of babies that looked pretty good.  Then did some other shopping.  Then I walk past the meat again and couldn't help myself and also picked up a huge rack of St. Louis ribs.  Now I have a big decision this weekend.  Which one to cook..  Great problem to have isn't it?

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Both!! problem solved, gorge yurself on ribs and drink, then go to sleep, best night sleep ever. ;)
78.50"

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya it is LPS.  You know the St. louis ribs are my favorite.  Love them all but they are.  i'll have to do a thread on beef ribs on here also.  good luck.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I have never done beef ribs.  I see them on the food shows and they look awesome.  I look at them in the store and worry about there being enough meat on them.  I will look harder now.

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
It's hard to find the meaty beef back ribs.  They are taken off the standing rib or better known as the bone-in prime rib roast.  That is why they are tasty.  You can get them whole or split sold in vac packs.  However when they are freshly cut off the rib roast at the place they are sold, that's the time to get them.  I stock up on them right after Christmas.  That's when rib roasts are put on sale.  After the sale they are usually long on them and cut the ribs off the roast and cut the eye out for steaks.  Then they are usually  lowerd in price.  Great time to buy the rib roasts also. Last time I got some roasts for 4.99 lb. at reduced sale price.  good luck.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Man those are some meaty ribs.  I would love to try some of those.  Do you do them like baby backs or spares?  I have seen them in the plastic wrap pkgs.  May have to buy a couple and give it a try. 

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Man those are some meaty ribs.  I would love to try some of those.  Do you do them like baby backs or spares?  I have seen them in the plastic wrap pkgs.  May have to buy a couple and give it a try.

So what should a guy pay for them?  1/2 the price of the rib roasts at the time?  I will ask my butcher here if he ends up with them. 

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
LPS, I reply'd about the rib prices on the meat deal page.  I did these in the smoker at 225 with some cherry chips.  These ribs were from the one's I bought last Christmas at 1.99 lb.  Meatier than the ones you get in the vac packs.  You will get plenty of pull back regardless from beef back ribs.  They are very tasty and almost do not even need any seasoning.  But on these I just put some salt, black pepper, and garlic powder on them.

The meatiest beef ribs are the flanken style beef ribs that I make Kalbi ribs from.  They are cut from the same beef plate that short ribs are cut from but accross the ribs in thin strips instead of what you normally see the single cuts of short ribs in the stores.  Here is a pic of some I did with my Korean Kalbi manrinade.  good luck.

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Here are some more of the Kalbi beef ribs I made.  Making these on our vacation up north on the Ash River trail.  good luck. good luck.

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
Dang RH looking good