Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: What's on the grill, folks?  (Read 900542 times)

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Burgers and leftovers here tonite, or whatever I can scrounge up. How do you guys make yer burgers? I take a lb of good 85/15, mix in a Tbsp diced fresh onions, shake of seasoned salt and a shake of cracked black pepper, with a shot of Worcestershire and a couple drops of liquid hickory smoke . Make 3 equal 1/3 lb patties. Top with a slice of sharp cheddar and swiss. I serve on corn dusted kaiser buns. Everyone comes back for seconds on these....
« Last Edit: September 09/10/19, 12:18:52 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
I like putting onions in my burger mix also.  My mom used to do that way back when so I carry it on.  Made some wings and rice.  Sauced the wings also toward the end of the grilling process.  good luck.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Burgers and leftovers here tonite, or whatever I can scrounge up. How do you guys make yer burgers? I take a lb of good 85/15, mix in a Tbsp diced fresh onions, shake of seasoned salt and a shake of cracked black pepper, with a shot of Worcestershire and a couple drops of liquid hickory smoke . Make 3 equal 1/3 lb patties. Top with a slice of sharp cheddar and swiss. I serve on corn dusted kaiser buns. Everyone comes back for seconds on these....
oh my there are so many ways. i dont know what my wife does, but when i'm top chef i like to throw onions in there and montreal steak seasoning and a few others, cajon comes to mind. but i like doing that in the morning so the seasons have time to meld with the meat.

as kids we grew up with burgers this way, and i still like doing this. burger, and seasonings, an egg and about a handfull of oatmeal. mix up,, make patties. of course back then it was fried............99.99999% of the time there grilled now!!!!!!!!!!

2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
of course back then it was fried............99.99999% of the time there grilled now!!!!!!!!!!

I ain't arguing against the grill, but there is a time and a place for pan/griddle seared burgers.  However it can be tough to sear the brown, crispy edges on both sides because the burgers often release their moisture on the flip.

One strategy to eliminating the moisture is to add baking soda to the hamburger.  They link below is for chili meat, but the chemistry is the same if you fry a burger in a pan.

"Indeed, incorporating baking soda —¾ teaspoon plus 2 tablespoons of water to help it dissolve [and let sit for 15-20 minutes]—not only kept the meat juicy and made it even more tender, but it also produced an unforeseen benefit: Since the beef now barely shed any moisture during cooking (not even the small amount of water that I added to dissolve the baking soda) and a higher pH significantly speeds up the Maillard reaction, the meat browned much more quickly."

Best Ground Beef Chili Recipe

« Last Edit: September 09/10/19, 02:20:03 PM by Steve-o »

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Then there's the dimple pressed into the burger and sit an ice cube in it, or stick one on the middle of the burger.........
« Last Edit: September 09/10/19, 03:10:05 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Yep our burglars are always dimpled,  the 80/20 is usually mixed with either A1 or Heinz 57. Just a light seasoning of what I  grab since a cast iron skillet is full of bacon going on top. Man do the burgers turn out juicy on a charcoal grill that seals tight...to bad my kid has my weber..

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Generally don't add a lot to burgers other than the seasoning which I change up routinely. Bear in mind I'm generally grilling lamburger. I have a hard time remembering the last time I grilled a beef burger. When I grill the lamburgers it's 1/3 lb. burgers, two one pound packages thawed about 6 hours ahead of time. I toss a little different wood smoke at them sometimes and usually I'm trying for at least two different doneness levels on a standard sized charcoal Weber. Not always easy to do as our lamb is very lean. A couple minutes too long and you've made a medium burger into something that really sucks if it's reheated. :sad: 

Tonite's episode: more brats & sausage, sauerkraut brats and smoked maple rope sausage from Morgan's. Hadn't done this variety of sausage on the grill before and it turned out great. Direct to sear and indirect to finish. Add some Swiss, HONEY mustard, a Superfantastic tomato, COTTAGE CHEESE, tater salad with a light dusting of paprika. With Mrs. Cheviot gone I could grill uninhibited from any threat of any unwanted advances.  :happy1:

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 09/11/19, 09:01:44 AM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Cripes!! That meal would have the liddle blue guy screaming while he ran!  🏃‍♂️

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Cripes!! That meal would have the liddle blue guy screaming while he ran!  🏃‍♂️
you aint kidding either. he should be arrested for tomato mutilation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :taz:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Hey, what I choose to do with my tomatoes is my business, you little blue perve!  :tongue:  :rotflmao:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey, what I choose to do with my tomatoes is my business, you little blue perve!  :tongue:  :rotflmao:
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: this is true..........BUT posting pictures of it on the world wide web takes it to the illegal level!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :moon: :moon:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: this is true..........BUT posting pictures of it on the world wide web takes it to the illegal level!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :moon: :moon:

And then THAT from a Union jacker....... :doah:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Lots on this plate that will solicit comments from the peanut gallery!  :tut: Didn't have pork steaks cut today so settled for some large model loin chops and did to them what I would've done to the pigger steaks. Garlic & roated herb seasoning, seared direct, finished indirect while slathered with some BBQ sauce of unknown origin. Very juicy and tender with plenty of leftovers. Celebrity mater, COTTAGE CHEESE, Mrs. Gerry's mac salad & some of the last of the fall STRING BEAN crop.  :happy1:

« Last Edit: September 09/15/19, 08:03:16 PM by Dotch »

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Lookin' good there, Dotcheroo.  'Tis better to have some kind of pigger than no pigger at all". :rotflmao: 
You musta run outta chives for the cottage cheese, right?
Good thing that's the last of those STRING BEAN invasive species ......the singin' kind is OK.  ;)

« Last Edit: September 09/15/19, 10:34:11 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
You sure lucked out that the Mrs is otta town dotch, or you'd be hiding amongst the sheep after that spread!   :bow:   Me I lucked out as well since the Mrs. Was jumping and yelling at the tube today tiring herself out, I did up more beef and shrimp kaboobs with sweet taters  :happy1: she'll be out in no time!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I dunno  :scratch: but I woulda ran the udder way when I seen the cottage cheese anywhere near them wunnerfull mater's!! :doofus: :doah: :doah:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Attaboy Boober! Quite a menu you got there. Sometimes ya just gotta rock them womens back on their heels! (or as you say put 'em to sleep so they can't bother you!  :happy1:)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Meh! :doofus: you guys talk a good show but ......... :rotflmao:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I need to stay in practice in Mrs. Cheviot's absence so when she comes back I can still get away while she's dozing off. Grilled chicky tonite with a little BBQ sauce. Another small Celebrity mater & Mrs. Gerry's mac salad. I know it's gonna knock me out. Nigh nigh! Zzzzzzzzz...

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
musta ran outta gin iffin he's got milk?????????????????????????

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Good stuff guy's.  Chuck roasts on sale so chuck eyes are cheaper.  Picked up some and grilled them up just using Montreal steak seasoning.  good luck.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
awe man that looks nummy. nuttin better then a red in the inside chunk of cow!!!!!!!!!!!! :hubba: :hubba: :hubba:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
dat looks awesome!!  wish I could find the chuck eye's more often!!! 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
STOP IT! STOP IT! STOP IT! I can't take any more of RH's pics!!!!!! I'm eating my screen!!   :taz:                :wowza: :hubba:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
STOP IT! STOP IT! STOP IT! I can't take any more of RH's pics!!!!!! I'm eating my screen!!   :taz:                :wowza: :hubba:
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: way to torture Reb Reiny!!!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1: :happy1: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :evil: :evil:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Ah, go suck on yer spaghetti noodles!!!  :moon:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Ah, go suck on yer spaghetti noodles!!!  :moon:
:confused: :pouty: :pouty: WELL............................. :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :doah: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :confused: :confused:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Couple o' pigger chops, just-off-the-farm-truck 'maters, loaded salad, last of the green tops, and iced tea.   *urp*  :tongue:

« Last Edit: September 09/20/19, 06:01:34 PM by Rebel SS »