Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Meat prices. What's a sale?  (Read 66027 times)

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Reb, we got a cub foods....  And nobody got rainbow any more.  They went belly up a few years ago.  Some became Roundies

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
what really bites about this thread is I don't have any of those stores in close proximity of me to make these screaming deals worthwhile to go to!!!!!!!
UGH??? jeeze 57 Cashwise consistently beats all those stores prices!! Watch the flier an you got one in Coldsprings 6 blocks from yer house!!!! Compare em! burger 80% is $1.89 a lb right now,couple weeks ago whole loins 1.98 a lb.The best prices is around this time a year and you buy whole primal cuts for almost 1/2 counter prices.If yah dont know how to cut em contact me.
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Reb, we got a cub foods....  And nobody got rainbow any more.  They went belly up a few years ago.  Some became Roundies

You know about me and Cub, Del. Never, ever step foot into that store again. Plus, they're like 9 miles away from me...one way. Way opposite end of town. With store manager buddies that will meet any price in town, why go elsewhere? Plus, Walfart meets any price. Scan the ads and go there. Except for meat.  ;)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
what really bites about this thread is I don't have any of those stores in close proximity of me to make these screaming deals worthwhile to go to!!!!!!!
UGH??? jeeze 57 Cashwise consistently beats all those stores prices!! Watch the flier an you got one in Coldsprings 6 blocks from yer house!!!! Compare em! burger 80% is $1.89 a lb right now,couple weeks ago whole loins 1.98 a lb.The best prices is around this time a year and you buy whole primal cuts for almost 1/2 counter prices.If yah dont know how to cut em contact me.
dats  not a cashwise.............its a Teals???????????? and I quit getting the local paper. got tired of reading last weeks news!!!!! and there ads aint in the st cloud times!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

You know about me and Cub, Del. Never, ever step foot into that store again. Plus, they're like 9 miles away from me...one way. Way opposite end of town. With store manager buddies that will meet any price in town, why go elsewhere? Plus, Walfart meets any price. Scan the ads and go there. Except for meat.  ;)
walfart sells it cheaper cause its probably road kill or the animal had man cow disease. an there other merchandise is produce with slave labor for 11 cents an hour!!!!!!

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
dats  not a cashwise.............its a Teals???????????? and I quit getting the local paper. got tired of reading last weeks news!!!!! and there ads aint in the st cloud times!!!!
OOPS STCloud had cashwise 15 minutes from yer place! Al tho Teals does have 2 great meat sales a year and one is about this time.Have you had the ribs they cook onsite? Ribfest is again on Sat the 3ed!

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman

walfart sells it cheaper cause its probably road kill or the animal had man cow disease. an there other merchandise is produce with slave labor for 11 cents an hour!!!!!!
Yes yer right once a large store buys meat to resell they need not label it as prime ,choice or utility. Once they stamp it store named meat they get around that requirement an most their meat is utility grade!!!
« Last Edit: August 08/31/16, 03:51:46 PM by dew2 »

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

I wouldn't even feed Walfart meat to you, munchkin! They guarantee it's great taste/whatever, but why would ya wanna buy meat there? It's not cheap! And it looks like crap! Does to me, anyway. Ick!  :puke:

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Walmart does have choice meat.  It is clearly labeled.  However most of the beef sold there just says goverment inspected.  That is Select grade which is most of their meat.  If it's not labeled choice it's select.Cubs, sam's, Costco sell all USDA Choice.  All the meat in those stores is choice.  Hy Vee has choice meat only in their service case.  All the meat in the regular cases is no different than Walmart.  It is select grade.  I think they label it black angus premium.  Nothing premium about it.  I shop at Cubs, Costco, and County Market for the most part for meat.  All of their meats is choice. good luck.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
And isn't another word for "select" utility grade, RH? That's what I learned years ago.....

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Grading beef has changed over time.  Now it's Prime, choice, and then select.  Back in my day's they used to grade them by yield numbers as well according to how much waste [fat ect] is on the animal.  So it was choice yield 1 for the least waste and so on down the line.  We used to get choice yield 2 most of the time.  The lower the number, the more it cost at purchase time for the buyer [store, meat locker].  Used to be a caner label also.  Meant for beef just for grinding trim not for cutting into steaks roasts ect.  Utility is something I can't remember but there could have been that label.  Something like that is usually meat for grinding only.  good luck.

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
And isn't another word for "select" utility grade, RH? That's what I learned years ago.....
Used to be. But in the early 60s to mid, retailers didnt want to use the name utility sounded to crude and people didnt want it.So the USDA was lobbied by retailers to create a more marketable name! Now in stead of 4 grades a meat (beef only) Prime,Choice,utility,grinder/hamburger.They complied for the new 8 grades.Their only graded at slaughter houses,then sent out for retail.Now goverment cuts are a whole different story when they put in orders for canning!! Thats tough trimmin for govt! no grading fer govt the inspecter stands over yer shoulder!! Heres the new grading
http://www.fooducate.com/app#!page=post&id=57A35098-1187-A9B6-47A6-8D299A8C1630
« Last Edit: August 08/31/16, 07:29:42 PM by dew2 »

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Aha! Thanky dew! I'll stick with choice, and prime, if I ever find a rich girlfriend!  ;)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Aha! Thanky dew! I'll stick with choice, and prime, if I ever find a rich girlfriend!  ;)
I feel like being nice tonite si I'm just leaving the NL outta this. :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey! I was talking to the new NL babe tonite, when the OTHER NL rode up on her bike.......there I stood, between the two...I swear I heard the music...

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
Used to be. But in the early 60s to mid, retailers didnt want to use the name utility sounded to crude and people didnt want it.So the USDA was lobbied by retailers to create a more marketable name! Now in stead of 4 grades a meat (beef only) Prime,Choice,utility,grinder/hamburger.They complied for the new 8 grades.Their only graded at slaughter houses,then sent out for retail.Now goverment cuts are a whole different story when they put in orders for canning!! Thats tough trimmin for govt! no grading fer govt the inspecter stands over yer shoulder!! Heres the new grading
http://www.fooducate.com/app#!page=post&id=57A35098-1187-A9B6-47A6-8D299A8C1630
When I made this post I left out my source! If you get Pivot TV a show about whats left of meat packers their only 5 left Cant remember the shows name its on Pivot TV bout everyother month long show,Then one on History or discovery called the making of America gos through the beginning of meat packing to present

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I would like to see that.  Some buddys and I went down to Sioux City after we graduated from High School and worked at Armour Pork.  Tough work but we thought we were rich at pay time. 

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I worked for a local meat plant for a year. Thought I was in great shape after working in a steel place, slinging steel all day. NOT! Grabbing huge slabs of beef with a meathook and slinging them up and over the sides of the big grinder tubs all day built the muscles up!

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
That's what it was like in the early days of my butcher career.  Every day we took hind quarters and front quarters off a semi.  Put them on your shoulder, put them on a meat hook, and then process them into various parts for cutting.  Now it comes in big boxes, and then you cut them into various cuts for the case.  Sometimes I wonder how I lasted so long in that buisness without an injury.  The cold gets y ou though.  Every day in 45 deg or less is tough on your hands.  Still have all my fingers.  Lot's of the guy's have some missing.  Have to pay attention to that power saw and your knife everyday.  having a sharp knife is very important and safer than a dull one.  good luck.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Anyone having any charcoal on sale?   :scratch:

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
Anyone having any charcoal on sale?   :scratch:
Just went through all 4 sales papers around here,Now you brought charcoal up NO I didnt see any Cub,Cashwise,Teals an Aldi. Strange?? I'll give you a free bag just stop by :scratch:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I found it odd, too. Nothin' at Maynards, Home Despot, or Walfart....hmmm...maybe AFTER Labor Day?

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Got my 2 big bags!!!   ;D They're goin' like hotcakes when I was there....better git out and git some!

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
Got my 2 big bags!!!   ;D They're goin' like hotcakes when I was there....better git out and git some!
Few years back when HomeDepot had the sales they included the Hickory an Mesquite,2014?2013 we bought the limit 5 each. I got 3 hickory an 2 Mesquite Double bags, the ole girl got 3 Mesquite an 2 hickory.Then I got 2 double bags of regular.The shed still has bunches!! Course I aint used much for 2 years, Ribs are on the menu after the holiday. Havin a rib an chicken family BBQ an smoke Sept 21.Think we have 3 racks a babys and 5 racks spares.Spares are our fav's

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
I always thought it was somewhat strange or maybe even ironic that the bones off the pork loin sell for more per pound than the boneless meat does.....

Aren't baby backs just the bones that get removed to make boneless pork loin?  The boneless loin is like 1.89 and the bones are 2.99+, so the more meat left on the bone the more profit, if I have it figured right...

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Check out THESE baby-backs from tonite!!!  *urp*  ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 09/03/16, 08:56:32 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Wow! That looks great Reb!
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Nice meal Reb !!!  Cub this week has boneless 1.99 lb.  Beef boneless chuck roast and steaks 3.99 lb.  10 pound bags of chicken leg quarters 59 cents lb.  Beef bone in NY strip steaks 8.99 lb.  93% lean ground beef 3.99 lb.  Some of the cubs will probably run the baby backs for 2.99 through Monday or until they run out.

County Market has beef boneless arm roasts 2.98 lb.  Boneless arm steaks 3.48 lb.  Pork shoulder roasts or steaks 1.99 lb.  GoldnPlump drums or thighs in 56 oz packs for 4.29 pack.  good luck.

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
1.99 chuck roast?  Now you're talking....