Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Meat prices. What's a sale?  (Read 65738 times)

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
:happy1:

http://www.orgasmicchef.com/mains/rare-rump-roast/

in the oven at 160?   She needs a sous vide. 

So do you cook the crap out of it in a crock pot or do you cook it to 130 and slice it?   It is bottom round and I figured it would just get dry and tough if pot roasted/braised.   

Boston butt?  That something the Kennedys chase?   

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
With a marinade and on low for 4 hrs. I've never dried any of my meat out. Ever. I know how to cook. Mine comes out med rare and delicious.  Yer not into smoking and BBQing Del, so the boston butt stuff is lost on ya. That's just basic bbq smokin'. Sorry. Look at some of boobers stuff he's done....

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I was just wondering Del...you were yakking about carnitas and pork the other nite...where the hey do you think pulled pork comes from??! Special little pkgs of piggy meat??! It's Boston Butt..... :doah:
Here, some very basic reading for you to do. No  more questions until you've read up on it. See Dick run.   :coffee:

http://barbequelovers.com/recipes/pork-recipes/secrets-for-the-perfect-smoked-boston-butt
« Last Edit: December 12/08/16, 10:02:38 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
I don't know why you think I haven't or don't barbeque/smoke stuff like pork butt and ribs?  Or make pot roast?   I use chuck for that.  Been a while since I made swiss steak, now that I think about it.   

Done it and will do it again.  Not much of a crock pot fan, except at the cabin.   

Getting to know the sous vide thing.   Works real well for some stuff.   And in the winter when it is too cold for me to fire up the smoky mountain or weber.   

Well, today I am fixing aforementioned pot roast for when the grandkids come tomorrow, unless the weather hysteria freaks everyone (especially my wife) out and they cancel.  And off to pick up the Christmas cards at costco sometime. 

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I don't know why you think I haven't or don't barbeque/smoke stuff like pork butt and ribs?  Or make pot roast?   I use chuck for that.  Been a while since I made swiss steak, now that I think about it.   

So, this Chuck guy knows how to make a proper pot roast? Is he a neighbor?  :scratch:
« Last Edit: December 12/09/16, 09:47:21 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
I don't eat my neighbor, unlike some Rebs I know...    :censored:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
DELMONACO! Shame! To yer room!!!  :rotflmao:

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Wow....the nuke was dropped...and hit dead center....

Glenn. ....go check for survivors!
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Uhh...uhhh...I didn't think Del had it in him.....

[attachment deleted by admin]

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Wow....the nuke was dropped...and hit dead center....

Glenn. ....go check for survivors!
Ain't no way. I ain't getting involved ib that Rochester love triangle!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya still can't count to to three, can ya?!   ;D

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Cub this week is celebrating a grand opening of  another store off 109th and University in Blaine.  Pork half boneless pork loins 1.59 lb.  80% lean ground beef in 3 lb. tubes 1.99 lb.  Cooks smoked ham, bone in, half portions 1.39 lb.  hormel spiral half ham bone in 1.99 lb.  Beef Bone in prime rib roasts 7.99 lb.  Beef NY strip steaks boneless steak or roasts 6.99 lb.  Perdue fresh boneless chicken breasts 2.99 lb.  Oscar Mayer bacon 2/$7.

Coupon. Sugardale semi boneless smoked half ham 1.28 lb. with a $20 purchase.  Boneless beef prime rib roasts 8.88 lb.  Bone in Hormel cure 81 spiral sliced half ham 1.88 lb.  Frozen Jennie o turkey 1.18 lb.  Boneless round tip steak or roast 3.59 lb.  Boneless beef rump roast 2.99 lb.  Boneless pork sirloin chops or roast 1.99 lb.  Essential everyday frozen turkeys 1.29 lb.

Aldi has fresh bone in turkey breast 1.79 lb.  Appleton Farms spiral sliced half ham 1.69 lb.  Beef bone in ribeye roast 5.99 lb.  Beef boneless sirloin tip roast 3.49 lb.  Appleton Farms smoked ham butt portion 1.09 lb.  Appleton Farms boneless spiral sliced hams 2.99 lb.

One thing to keep in mind when buying a prime rib roast.  Lot of folks look at the price and not the trim.  Why buy a cheaper bone in prime rib or boneless when there is a inch or more of fat covering it?  Sure I look at the price, most places have them on sale now, but I look at the trim also.  Don't mind a 1/8 to a 1/4 inch fat cap but not much more.  good luck.

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Yep.  Got to decide between the boneless rib roast in Cryovac at Costco and the nicely trimmed one at ye olde butcher shop (that's really its name) here in Rochester.   Probably 2 or 3 bucks a pound difference, so need to take another look at the trim on the Costco ones.   

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
That is  something to think about for sure.  Costco, Sams, Cubs, Coburns, Festival, and County Market all have the same beef.  USDA Choice Angus beef.  Hy Vee has choice only in their service counters, NOT in the meat case.  Their meat case is all Select as far as beef is concerned so you have to note that also.  Walmart has a  small amount of choice and it is marked choice and the rest of the beef is Select just like Hy Vee has.  good luck.

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Yep, I figure it all comes from the same packing plants, although Costco sometimes has actual prime beef for sale.  Boy is that stuff spendy. 

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Some good buy's this week.  Cub has a bogo [buy one get one free] on Beef bottom round, eye of round, sirloin tip and half boneless pork loin roasts.  Bogo on Tyson 2.5 lb frozen boneless breasts or thighs .  Beef bone-in NY strip steaks for 6.99 lb.  85% lean ground beef in 3 pound tubes 3.99 lb.  Perdu boneless chicken breasts 2.99 lb.  48 oz. packs of 85% lean Jennio ground turkey 8.99 each.  Pork boneless chops 2.99 lb.

County Market has a HOT price on fresh pork butts 98 cents per lb.  Boneless beef chuck roast 3.48 lb.  Beef boneless rump roast 3.59 lb.  GoldnPlump drumsticks or thighs 4.99 each 56oz pack.  Beef boneless chuck steak 3.99 lb.

Aldi has  fresh boneless pork butts for 1.49 lb.  Fresh family pack chicken thighs 5 lb. average 69 cents lb.  Beef eye of round roast 3.99 lb.  Beef chuck roast 3.49 lb.  good luck.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Fareway has their fresh gr 85/15 for $2.99 lb. Just bought 10 lbs. Sirloin tip roasts, $2.99 lb. Pork shoulder roasts. $1.88 lb! Make

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Get to yer Fareway foods, guys!!! fresh ground 85/15 for $1.98 a lb!!!!!  Whole briskets $2.99 lb!  :shocked:
« Last Edit: June 06/29/17, 06:51:27 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
We don't have one of those stores here but we do have Cubs and they have from today till next Wend:

80% lean ground beef in 3 lb. tubes 1.88 lb. limit 2
Fresh boneless chicken breasts or wings 1.99 lb.
Gourmet pub burgers 3.99 lb.
Beef bottom round roasts 4.99 lb.
Smithfield seasoned St. Louis ribs 3.99 lb.
Bone in ribeye steaks 7.99 lb.
Pork baby back ribs 2.99 lb.

good luck.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I think you and I must be the thrifty ones, RH!   :rotflmao:

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Yep.  Pretty much watch the sales and go for it.  Got to slow down a bit, my freezer is getting full.  good luck.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Fareway has those gourmet pub burgers, too....4 for $10. What are they? Never heard of 'em... :scratch:

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Pub burgers come in a variety of flavors.  Plain, bacon cheddar, swiss mushroom, and pepper jack jalapeno for example.  The one's in Cubs are made right in the meat dept and sold in their service case.  But they come boxed up and sold in the freezer cases also.  Good sized burgers.  good luck.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
ooh...thanks! Kinda like a Reb burger!  :azn: I like to stuff mine with coarse shredded sharp cheddar and onions.....

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Splurged and picked up a nice thick chuckeye @ $6.99 lb

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
You guys are making me hungry...

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Made a batch of Reb's cukes and sauce, too...passel o'' green top onions...radishes... :tongue:   :azn:

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I can't remember when I last had beef ....99% of the time it's venison.
Maybe the last time was a burger, and even then, we have venison burger....  :scratch: I'll have to think about that one.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
The last time I had a steak was last summer...really.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
picked up some top sirloins for 3.99 the other day, going to have them tomorrow!!
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!