Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Lee is now an outlaw  (Read 43614 times)

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
That Park Ranger may have busted him for taking too many invasive night crawlers and put him in crawler jail....

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
That Park Ranger may have busted him for taking too many invasive night crawlers and put him in crawler jail....

Don't know who started that rumor but da word is out on da street now. :banghead: As a madder a fact Borgie brought home a copy of da National Enquirer dis morning and my alleged photo was posted. So let's just knock it off wit da FAKE NEWS! ...... :taz:

Headline Read: "Crawler Bandit Nabbed During Cook County Sting Operation"
« Last Edit: May 05/14/17, 05:46:30 PM by Lee Borgersen »
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Hahahaha....if Lee is an outlaw...then I'm a death row in mate...  :rotflmao:
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
   It is wit great sorrow that I must inform my followers of the death of 250.

Unfortunately it seems that along with the caption stating "Lee Is An Outlaw" I can now add
"Murderer!"

:coffee: ...
Upon recent inspection of crawler flat #1 I noticed that several crawlers were laying on the surface of the bedding. That's not unusual except they were looking peaked. Me no like when I see that sign. Therefore they needed to be removed from da colony. I figured I'd wait 48 hrs. and give another peak. The plague had spread like wild fire and decimated da whole population in dat  one flat.

This morning I dumped da whole flat behind da shed. :pouty:  It was a quiet ceremony. No others to morn in my time of despair. Now why should I feel guilty? Because it was all my fault!  :bonk:

:popcorn:
You see that was da first pick of da season. Actually They came from da first heist of da season when I got busted by da :police: park ranger. I musta been a tad rattled dat day and put dem in da garage fridge without checking da temp setting. Two days later I noticed da bedding had some ice crystals on it. Dat's what I get for not having my glasses wit me den! The crawlers under da bedding looked fine. I'm sure now dat my error came back to kick me in da :moon: . The crawlers were negatively impacted from day one but bravely struggled to overcome my error. However the internal damage was irreversible. :cry:

Why do I share this information on a public forum. :scratch: Because I hope that others could learn from the errors of me ways. Also because my own family don't even give a crap. :taz:

I just want to lead my MNO family down the path of raucousness.
« Last Edit: August 08/16/17, 10:07:57 AM by Lee Borgersen »

Many BWCA Reports

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
my condolences   tut_tut-3315.gif
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
being an outlaw usually catches up to ya sooner or later!!!!!! its why i'm a model citizen!!!!!!!! :coffee:

looks like ole Lee may be out on the prowl again!!!!!! tut_tut-3315.gif

my condolences buddy.........i'm a leech guy myself!!!!!! been getting into more confidence in plastics too!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
being an outlaw usually catches up to ya sooner or later!!!!!! its why i'm a model citizen!!!!!!!! :coffee:

looks like ole Lee may be out on the prowl again!!!!!! tut_tut-3315.gif

my condolences buddy.........i'm a leech guy myself!!!!!! been getting into more confidence in plastics too!!!

When Borgie and I are in the BWCA the Leech out fishes the crawler for quantity every time. The crawler catches the largest walleyes though. Also when a front comes through and fishing's tough I'll take da crawler every time!

Many BWCA Reports

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Never figured this thread would make it this long. :scratch: :doah: Glad it has as it's still good for a few :laughroll:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Fawkinnae

• Executive Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
    • Fawkinnae Sportsman's Club T-Shirts
A sad, tragic tale...
Fawkinnae Sportsman's Club T-Shirts
Unique fishing, hunting, drinking and motorcycle t-shirts, caps, bumper stickers and more.
http://www.fawkinnae.com/
Find me on Facebook - http://tinyurl.com/6k5tkvv

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
:happy1:  The next time I get busted. :police:

The next time I get busted by (John Law) I'll have this info to back up my quest for crawlers.

Another study finds earthworms hurting maple trees in Minnesota forests.

By John Myers on Aug 15, 2017 at 9:08 p.m.

:coffee: ......
DULUTH, Minn.—Invasive earthworms from Europe that came over with early settlers and have been moving across North America ever since are causing sugar maple trees to decline in northern Minnesota forests.

That was the conclusion of a research project published in the latest issue of the journal Biological Invasions — the second major project in as many years pointing to earthworms as the culprit in northern Minnesota forest problems.

Scientists in the latest study, led by Michigan Technological University biologist Tara Bal, looked at plots of maples in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, Northeastern Minnesota's Superior National Forest and northern Wisconsin, and found maple trees experiencing "dieback" due to disturbances on the forest floor.

That disturbance was worms eating the leaves.

Dieback is when top branches that should be full of leaves instead had bare spots. That's a sign of tree decline, where trees stop growing or die. In some areas, timber companies said maples were dying and becoming worthless even before they could be harvested.

From 2009 to 2012, Bal made annual visits to the same sites to measure what was happening.

"We went into this not knowing what was causing it, thinking it could be (forest) management or insects or something else," Bal told the News Tribune. "But going out to over 120 sites over several years, you could see it was the worms and the lack of duff. We didn't see any older maple leaves because they're the leaves worms like to eat first."

That invasive earthworms are a problem isn't new. Scientists in northern Minnesota have been reporting issues for years. But the maple situation appears to be worse than others.

"It's not necessarily a death knell for maples. You can have trees and worms," Bal said. "But when you have worms and then you add on a drought or high temperatures or heavy deer browsing, they are combining to impact maples pretty severely. It's changing the forest out there."

Many people mistakenly believe that brown earthworms, including angleworms and night crawlers, are native. But there are no native earthworms in North America; they all were taken out during the last ice age. The only native worms are the whitish, skinny worms you might find under rocks. North American forests developed over the past 10,000 years without earthworms.

Last September a study published in journal Global Change Biology found that the invasive earthworms are reducing species diversity, changing the makeup of forests wherever the worms are prevalent. That study included research by more than two dozen scientists, including Lee Frelich, director of the University of Minnesota's Center for Forest Ecology and an expert on mortheastern Minnesota forests.

Frelich said the non-native worms consume the duff — the decaying leaves on the forest floor — as they eat their way across the continent's forests. The worms alter the physical and chemical properties of soils, changing the pH, nutrient and water cycles and disrupting symbiotic relationships between soil fungi and tree roots.

The recent studies back past findings by UMD professor Cindy Hale that found the worms' impact especially intrusive on hardwood forests. They seem to have less impact on evergreen species, probably because needles are more acidic and less tasty to the worms.

As worms eat the leaves on the forest floor, big trees survive, but many young seedlings perish, along with many ferns and wildflowers. That changes what kind of trees are in a forest, scientists say.

Scientists have been studying night crawlers on a peninsula at Leech Lake for years and determined that worms were first introduced in the 1950s, probably as they became popular for fishing bait. Now, there are 30,000 to 100,000 night crawlers per acre in that area.

In some parts of southern Minnesota, with better soils, there are up to 200,000 night crawlers per acre. And that doesn't include angleworms, which can be as dense as 400,000 per acre — all of them digesting plant material on the forest floor.

Bal and others say anyone who goes into the forest should make sure they are not releasing night crawlers into the woods because there still are some areas not impacted by invasive worms.

For more information on foreign earthworms and their impact on forests, go to greatlakeswormwatch.org.

Note: I will keep a copy of this in my car to show John Law if he throws da cuffs on me! :police:

Signed,
                        Da nightcrawler bandit
« Last Edit: August 08/16/17, 07:57:00 AM by Lee Borgersen »

Many BWCA Reports

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I read about this in the last year or two.  How interesting.  I always thought worms made the dirt more conducive to better growing conditions.  Wrong...

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 MNO Fishing Challenge Champion
    • Advanced Tackle Innovations
  Lee I hope you went back in.   Just tell them you were taking your pet crawlers for a walk in the park.   You tripped and they got out of their little worm box so you are just scooping them back up.   
Pai Mei tells the Godfather when it's time to tell Wayne  to pimp slap Eastwood.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
kind of like taking your pet fish for a swim!!!!

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  Lee I hope you went back in.   Just tell them you were taking your pet crawlers for a walk in the park.   You tripped and they got out of their little worm box so you are just scooping them back up.   

I knew we were missing something around here during your absences. It was your infinite wisdom! :happy1:

I did go back on multiple occasions but, unfortunately for the park service police :drillsergeant: we were not able to make contact. Lucky Them!

Many BWCA Reports

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
So you did wear your worm camo then??  :rotflmao:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Yea I've heard that too but not believing most of the bull in that article!!

My brudder and I made some nice moola when we were kids selling them worms to those Iowa and Illinois bull head fishermen. :happy1:

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
Yea I've heard that too but not believing most of the bull in that article!! :angry2:

My brudder and I made some nice moola when we were kids selling them worms to those Iowa and Illinois bull head fishermen. :happy1:

:doah:
Well, I guess dat settles it. I'm so confused now since Glenn has left me in doubt about da info I've posted. :scratch:  I mean like who would be more qualified to dispute da validity of researchers on a topic.
There is no doubt about it. It would have ta be someone wit outstanding qualifications. Someone dat actually first hand  made his first fortune $$$$ working wit night crawlers at a young age. Not only dat but he made his first fortune wit his partner (his brudder) who also was most knowledgeable in da field (catchin crawlers).

Thanks Glenn for setting da record straight.  I feel sad dat In my quest to reveal some educational info to others. It just turned out to be :coffee: FAKE NEWS!  :pouty:
« Last Edit: August 08/17/17, 01:28:58 PM by Lee Borgersen »

Many BWCA Reports

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
DONT feel sad Lee my friend............i'm quite sure with due diligence you can find another study that counterdicts everything that article you posted said!!!!!!!!!!!! :happy1: i have da utmost faith in ya!!!!!!!! :bow: :bow: :bow: :bs:  :oops1:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
HOLY CRAP!! :shocked:  Where'd ya find all dem big words, Glenny??!  :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
HOLY CRAP!! :shocked:  Where'd ya find all dem big words, Glenny??!  :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
las vegas..........union training!!!!!!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1: :rotflmao:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
     :bow: :bow:        :azn:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
and took all these years to figure them out!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
and took all these years to figure them out!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:
ah ..... Go play in traffic!! :mooning: :moon: :rotflmao:

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
       First Hunt a da season.

Well it's about time according to da calendar ta get ready to get ready. Problem is noboby told Mother Nature it's bout time. I mixed me up a large batch a Nightcrawler bedding in anticipation a da huge crawler deluge during my first Spring crawler hunt.

Took a early morning run to da happy hunting grounds (local woods) after da early am rain. Upon arrival I discovered all da gates were closed. Seems dat Cook county had decided ta cut some labor costs. :doah:

Switched over to plan "B" area and found dat da weather is not helping my cause. Were still bout a week or more behind schedule weather wise. Very few crawlers out and about dis morning and da size wasn't wort da effort. :banghead:

As fur now it's just a waiting game (can ya hear me mudder nature?) :confused:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgPePk3kGZk
« Last Edit: March 03/30/18, 11:36:58 AM by Lee Borgersen »

Many BWCA Reports

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Better be careful pokin' round dem early worm holes...

[attachment deleted by admin]

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
wasnt there just a post recently that illinois is adding more jail cells???????????? Le must see the handwriting on the wall!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Only one place to get worms in a jail cell......from da food!  :puke:

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
Only one place to get worms in a jail cell......from da food!  :puke:

You's guys are gunna give me nightmares so Knock it off! :doofus:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Many BWCA Reports

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
   First 2018 Attempt Dis Morning! :happy1:

5/3/18

:coffee: ......
After a long drought dis Spring we were blessed wit some major elictical storms all night. Da rain was gusshin down da streets all night. Also I was lookin forward to some major crawler huntin.
Managed ta get over to da Jr High parkin lot early before da woods were opened. Seems dat da lot was repaved since last year. Therefore crawler picken was poor (only some little dinkers) Not interested in dem little guys. :whistling:

:popcorn: ...
As soon as da gate was opened at da forrest preserve I was ready fur better action. Da largest percentage of dem crawlers were still to small fur picken. I did wind up wit 12 dozen dat were wert keepin. Could a got more a da small guys but it takes to long ta grow um. :bonk:

:doah: ...
I did get a small rush dare fur a minute when spotted a vehicle wit da roof bar lights flashin. Since I've become paranoid about bein a bandit it's not as relaxing as in da past. Fortunately It looked like da county maintenance truck checkin fur storm damage.
Well,  huntin should improve wit a few more heavy rains and dat will help da crawler sizes to. Gots ta go out to da garage fridge ta see if tem crawlers have managed ta burrow down in da bedding yet!  :pouty:
« Last Edit: May 05/03/18, 10:43:04 AM by Lee Borgersen »

Many BWCA Reports

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
So what do you do with all of the night crawlers?  OR shouldn't I ask?