Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Good Morning!!!!!!  (Read 4900991 times)

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Lunchtime! Need to go manufacture me a sammich! Not much rainfall and the breezes are relatively light so farmers are scrambling to get some fields sprayed before getting potentially rained out tomorrow. Some of the giant ragweed sprayed over weekend really took it on the chin. Love seeing them get rolled!

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 05/24/16, 12:40:13 PM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline leechlake

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
looks like my oat field.   
Two Buck Chuck 2016.

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Wish my dandelions would do that.  What did you spray with?   Roundup?

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Wish my dandelions would do that.  What did you spray with?   Roundup?

It's clopyralid, trade name Stinger at 4 oz./acre. They've lowered the price on it and the patent is off so there are generic sources available. Stinger goes for about $2/oz. Good dandelion chemical, has both post emerge activity and soil residual. Sprayed the lawn one time with it in the fall and was disappointed. Didn't appear to do much. It was cool however. In the spring it was still there and just annihilated the dandelions. 
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Find a pair of rims dew2.  Great town , lots of relatives in and around the area yet. Usually if I'm in town it's to get parts   or visit.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Too bad about the daughter thing Boar.  My friend has that same deal going.  The daughter always has some drama going and gets everyone involved.  I guess it is how some people get attention.  Sure hope it all works out for you and the wife.  AND have a fun grad day.  Say hi to Haillie.  We won't be able to make it as we will have the grandson so want to show him how much fun it still is at Grandma and Grandpa's house you know.  Boat rides, fishing, rides in Grandps's truck over and over and over again.  lolol  It is great.  Carla is just smiley about it.  He is 5 now so I may have to take vitamins to keep up with him.    :happy1:

The guy who says he is buying the camper is coming up on Sat morn.  He gets a plate put in his truck tomorrow.  I have had 3 other calls and told them if it doesn't go through I will call them.  Will be nice to finalize the deal.  I am so relieved that I told him to come up here to get it.  I saved myself a lot of work by just saying NO.    :bonk: :happy1:

Well have a great day you guys.  Looks like some rough weather for some of you.  We are at the north tip of it so maybe I can get some mowing done tonight.  Still have to do some weed whipping.   Looks terrible around the barn. 

Offline leechlake

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
LPS-  my dad's grandkids loved visiting at the lake and also did the truck rides.  He had a F350 dump truck he kept after retiring from the concrete business and they loved dumping gravel...heck who doesn't?  Great times for sure.

Checked the weather for the weekend and who knows about the rain but the wind is going to be a different direction almost every day.  I don't like that but we can figure out the fish because we'll have to.  Some of the best fishing days are the ones that aren't supposed to be.
Two Buck Chuck 2016.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
morning fellers!!!!!!! hard at it early cause me thinks it will be an early out!!!!!!!!!!! pretty quiet on the union front. the anticipation of heading north is getting the best of me. my wife thinks I act like a little kid in a candy store when we head to the cabin. I think shes over exaggerating. not sure why since I have been going there since we have been going there 50 plus years. not sure I like dealing with all the idiots that go there on these  holiday weekends but we will make due.
it appears we will deal with on and off showers. hope no thunder and lightning as that seems to put the fish in lock jaw mode. have a good day gentlemen!!!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Glenn,  I feel the same way every time I get a chance to go up north.  Kind of like Grizzly Adams without the bear but I do have my dog Lucy.  I remember one time many years ago a moment that I  will never forget.  Probably in my 20's and it was during firearms deer season.

We were up there a couple of days early and in those days, cocktails were prefered over beer for me.  Just couln't sleep anticipating the opener.  They were talking snow but the sky's were clear and the stars were out in full glory.  It was 2 am or so.  I was with my brother and we were having manhattens sitting by the fire.  He got tired and I decided to stay out there.  Put that lawn chair in the reclyne position and just looked up at the stars and the satellites and shooting stars.  Heard wolves, owl's, and other awesome sounds of the north woods.  Ended up just staying there and never did go in the camper until coffee in the morning.

Doesn't sound like much but that was sure special.  We did get snow later in the day and the following days not one star was seen, but the wolves and owls were there and even saw a young bull moose walk by my stand.  We still hunt the same place.  Public land in the wilderness, but it feels like our own after all these years.  Hard to move anywhere else and I don't see that day coming anytime soon.  good luck.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Glenn,  I feel the same way every time I get a chance to go up north.  Kind of like Grizzly Adams without the bear but I do have my dog Lucy.  I remember one time many years ago a moment that I  will never forget.  Probably in my 20's and it was during firearms deer season.

We were up there a couple of days early and in those days, cocktails were prefered over beer for me.  Just couln't sleep anticipating the opener.  They were talking snow but the sky's were clear and the stars were out in full glory.  It was 2 am or so.  I was with my brother and we were having manhattens sitting by the fire.  He got tired and I decided to stay out there.  Put that lawn chair in the reclyne position and just looked up at the stars and the satellites and shooting stars.  Heard wolves, owl's, and other awesome sounds of the north woods.  Ended up just staying there and never did go in the camper until coffee in the morning.

Doesn't sound like much but that was sure special.  We did get snow later in the day and the following days not one star was seen, but the wolves and owls were there and even saw a young bull moose walk by my stand.  We still hunt the same place.  Public land in the wilderness, but it feels like our own after all these years.  Hard to move anywhere else and I don't see that day coming anytime soon.  good luck.
your right reiny............oh the memories........and stories!!!!!!!!!

Offline markn

• Master Outdoorsman
  Good morning all, getting some much needed rain in Alex area.
mm

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
The rain is coming down around heretoo.  It's the kids last day of school today so I'm going to go watch their concert and awards ceremony.  The plan with the rain is to make some finishing touches on the castle tonight.
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
so where you takin that castle on its maiden voyage????????

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
To your old stomping grounds but on the other side of the lake.

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
holy crap your gonna be extremely close to my goodies! :doah: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
holy crap your gonna be extremely close to my goodies! :doah: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Just point the way minus the buckshot ;)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
no gaurentees!!!!!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Glen Glen Glen we don't want to hear about your "goodies"   

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Glen Glen Glen we don't want to hear about your "goodies"
the general does!!!!!!!!!!!!! and for clarification those would be asparagus and winter onions!!!!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Oh man I am so sorry, I didn't think that is what you were talking about.   :rotflmao: :censored: Thanks for clearing this up. It has been sort of bothering me all morning.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
have a good weekend everyone..........i'm outta here!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
whew hes gone, now on to important things.  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Please!!!!! Make it stop!!!!!

Had a nightmarish ending to the workday yesterday complete with numerous after hours phone calls and my neighbor brothers in my yard when I was trying to finish mowing my lawn last night about 10 o'clock. Was out looking at their field this a.m. and found corn seedlings like the one in the photo below. Yes, goofing up and putting a grass killer such as generic Select (clethodim) in the starter fertilizer rather than the bifenthrin insecticide can yield disastrous results.

In the next photos we see the culprit and resulting damage of said culprit. Seems cover crops have become all the rage except for one minor detail: No one has done their homework when it comes to pests when making this sudden sweeping change in cropping practices. Enter slugs. They enjoy moist, cool, and generally low light environments such as those created by cover crops. However, kill the cover crop off and guess where they head to next? That's right, the soybeans you planted into the cover crop you just torched off!!!!! This ain't rocket surgery folks... :bonk:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Coffee118

• Master Outdoorsman
Good morning, hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday weekend. Late night last night watching game seven. Going no where or cooking anything special this weekend, just burgers and hot dogs on the grill. 4:45 am so it's time to turn on the open sign, enjoy the weekend and be safe.
if you kick me when I'm down you better pray I don't get up.

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
coffee, man do ineed some, got of work at 5, hung curtains and stuf in the house then worked on the yard till 10. cant wait till this is done.
78.50"

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
 Looks like I get to cut grass today.Whats that saying ? Kneehigh by the 4th of july.Mine is approaching that length!! I only cut once this year.
 Got some young kid wanting to rent my side lot that will help cause I told him you have to cut the grass.2 lots 3/4 acre each lots a trees to go around.
 NOT looking forward to the holiday weekend!!! All the city slickers will be out opening cabins, a few have opened some already..Just to much noise and the narrow dirt shared drive 3-4 blks long gets looking like kids 4 wheeler raceway even 6-8 year olds all day long!! Maybe we should have thought of goin to Wadena and visit Sandys mom and relatives??
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Just came through Wadena about 4 hours ago Dew.  We picked up our almost 5 year old grandson and then turned around and came all of the way home with the little tyke.  He is such a talker and says the darndest things.  Like clever smart things for such a youngster.  So glad I was driving.  My wife loves playing the word games and I laugh at them but I can only stay involved for so long.   :bonk:  She is wonderful and has so much patience.  I try but can't keep up with him.   :bonk:  I am already shot.   :rotflmao:  Actually I am having a little libation in an insulated coffee type cup so the tyke thinks grandpa is having coffee....  :coffee: I just love him and it is really cool cuz he likes saying "Hey Grandpa" for everything.  That makes me feel good.  I told the wife I am grilling ribeyes "for him" tomorrow night and smoming some St Louis ribs on Sunday "for him".   ;)

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
LPS, you said it great.  I remember when my oldest daughter was born.  Could not wait for her to call me dad.  Never been a dad before.  That moment was so awesome.  Fast forward and I had my first grandson and it was Papa he called me.  Now I have one grandson and 4 grandaughters and they all call me Papa.  So special.  They talk about the empty nest syndrome when your kids leave the house.  Never happened. 

Makes me think about this weekend.  Memorial weekend.  What to be thankful for.  I'm a veteran and I think of all of them including first responders every day.  To me there is no "special" day for them, for each day they are special to me.  Those who served, and those who are serving now.  But I am also thankful for the family I have.  My very special wife and all who are my family.  But those grandkids,  those grandkids, to me are so special and I am very thankful for them.  Can't get enough of them.  good luck.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I gave you  both an  :clap: for that, great post  boys!
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
78.50"