Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Good Morning!!!!!!  (Read 4956986 times)

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya Dotch,  I try not to complain about the heat and the dewpoint because winter is up ahead.  Funny thing is that I don't complain much about the cold as I do the heat.  One reason is that ice fishing is something I favor over open water by a little bit.  I like open water early and in the fall.  I used to get these stares when I told folks that I will we have a couple of weeks of below zero nights to get safe ice early.  Still wish that.  Once the pre-season Viking games start I feel fall coming quickly.  I've been cutting dead branches of my Oak trees today.  Damn chainsaw won't work, so I'll have to cut the large branches in pieces when I get it running.  I used a long pole saw to get up there to cut them down.  Always something to do around the house.  good luck.

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
your words are like peotry rh1,  ice ice baby. cold, cant get enough of it...
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya I am looking forward to fall too.  The air smells nice then and I seem to have more energy when it cools down.  Hard to get motivated after work when it is so hot.  Also more fun to cook when the house is not so hot too.  Saw a coyote on my way home from work.  Running as fast as he could when he crossed the road. Also now we have two immature eagles eating horse apples in out pasture.  Then they just sit in a dead tree along the edge.  Pretty sight.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I hear you there LPS.  July and August are just not made for working in the woods.  Along with the heat you have to contend with the bugs and by bugs I mean, deer Flies.  They are a killer in the woods.  I will take a break from the hunting land and wait until late August to start the fall prep of the hunting land.  Clearing deadfalls and mowing trails will come first followed by checking and repairing stands. 
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
yeah thats the tough thing about bear hunting. august baiting and site prep. always seems to be 90 plus when i start and it 2 or more weeks befor it cools down. whe we had a spring hunt.
78.50"

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Morning all. I agree with the lack of ambition when it is hot out. I am like RH, I prefer to ice fish over boat fishing. But I like all fishing. Probably won't be any bear hunting for me this year unless I can score 1 of the 17 surplus tags for area 12. Not holding my breath. It has been a busy start to the week this week at work. Seems like everyone wants everything yesterday. Have a good day everybody!
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
It is tough to get motivated on days like today. AC spoils a guy and makes it easier not to get 'er done. Picked cukes, did garden weeding and spraying last night until I decided I'd had enough of the mosquitoes. Was drenched so the AC was definitely welcome. Saw these guys  in the yard as I was driving up. We've had ducks, geese,pheasants and Huns but this makes the first sandhill cranes we've seen. Apparently Jr. who could not fly yet somehow managed to get there so Mom and Dad kept him/her under their supervision. They sure can get up quickly as I'd hoped I could get a quick photo face to face. Oh well, it was still cool to see and their call remains one of the most unique I've ever heard. Eventually Jr. walked down the neighbor's driveway and across the road to the hay field where the others were calling.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Then there's always fishing.  My son and I went out last evening.  In three hours we caught a dozen bass and lost quite a few others.  Great evening on the water.  Never noticed anything regarding heat or humidity. 
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
the thing with me an hea/humidity, is once I'm in it I gota stay IN in it. I used to work for speedee del. and it was in and out making deliveries. heat to cold, heat to cold. made me nauseaus all summer. If I got stuff to do outside after work, I just go do it. wait for the ac when I'm done.
78.50"

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
in Moorhead now..............looks like some nasty weather coming later tonight. phone/accuweather says we here in Moorhead are in a tornado watch right now.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Morning all! Gotz a half day in already. Made the scenic drive from Moorhead to Bismarck this morning. All I do is work work work!!! :bonk: :bonk: :banghead: :banghead: what a difference a day makes. A whole 65 frigid degrees here

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Looks like Glenn survived the storm! So far we've missed out on the first wave this a.m. but looks like the second shot should get here some time around noon-ish or shortly thereafter. Cranes were back in the neighbor's hay field this a.m., making racket and scaring the sheep in the pasture. They moved across the road into a bigger hay field. Not sure what they're finding to eat but it could be frogs, night crawlers or insects. Fun to watch them.  :coffee:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Beautiful morning here today.  We got 2.5" of rain the other day and last night we got another 3/4" of rain.  Food plots are getting greener and need to finish the deer stand pronto and get it out there.  Gonna do some camping this weekend though.  Will be nice weather for that too.  Need to figure what to bring to eat.  Will hook up the camper tonight.  No work for me tomorrow.   ;) 

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
hwere ya going lps??
78.50"

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
I would assume he is going camping south in staed of most minnesotans that go up north
Cookie's on Upper Red Lake
e-mail: cookie16@paulbunyan.net

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
Just left international falls from a long hard week of fishing in Canada.   I'm just not sure any of you guys could have handled catching hundreds of walleyes and polishing off that much alcohol.   Later tonight I'll post up some pictures. 

[attachment deleted by admin]
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Now we have to watch ourselves again.  The General is back.  So that must be the designated driver with you. 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Now we have to watch ourselves again.  The General is back.  So that must be the designated driver with you.
LPS, that is not the general in the picture, the guy in the picture is much better looking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
yeah the general is more like a.private...
78.50"

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
It is tough to get motivated on days like today. AC spoils a guy and makes it easier not to get 'er done. Picked cukes, did garden weeding and spraying last night until I decided I'd had enough of the mosquitoes. Was drenched so the AC was definitely welcome. Saw these guys  in the yard as I was driving up. We've had ducks, geese,pheasants and Huns but this makes the first sandhill cranes we've seen. Apparently Jr. who could not fly yet somehow managed to get there so Mom and Dad kept him/her under their supervision. They sure can get up quickly as I'd hoped I could get a quick photo face to face. Oh well, it was still cool to see and their call remains one of the most unique I've ever heard. Eventually Jr. walked down the neighbor's driveway and across the road to the hay field where the others were calling.
Kool Pics EH! I got a few from 100 yards away wit long lenses.From 10-14 years ago!!! Had to drive north 100 miles to get em, around Wadena area.I believe I know yer area from the post goin out on a pontoon with friends.Makes me smile that they are that far south now!
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
The sandhill's are way cool. There were 7 of them bopping around that hay field a couple hours ago. Appears to be a good place for the young ones to get their wings figured out. They started showing up about maybe 10 years ago. Apparently they have taken a shine to some of the smaller restored wetlands such as ours. Still makes me laugh to visualize them walking around the yard like they were.   

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King

That is my dad and my son.  No need for a designated driver as the Canadians won't let you have a beer on the boat.  It's like they don't want me there.  Glad to see everyone is still doing well and Boar that is Private Sir to you.

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Yes sir, Private sir. Hope ya'll had a reat time!!
78.50"

Offline leechlake

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Hey fellas!  Long time. 

Had my first real guiding gig the past three days.  Four guys from KC MO.  Worked my butt off.  They caught some beautiful walleyes and had a blast.  All four caught 26-28 inchers and it's fun to see how excited they got.  Its just something I wanted to try, it was really fun.  Of course the old guide here caught the biggest a great fighting 29.5 incher.  I can't post the photo from my phone says "you can not upload that type of file only allowed extension are ..."

I've caught quite a few 28-30 inchers and this one I caught crappie fishing on 3 pound test.  I couldn't get him off of the bottom, great fighting fish.  Great experience. 
Two Buck Chuck 2016.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Man LL that's some good fishing.  Congrats.  We just got back from camping at Lasalle Rec Area south of Bemidji.  Had a good time.  Only two hours from home too.  Well look at the trail cam pics I posted.  Looks like a mountain lion to me?????   Still not done with the deer stand.  Have to get back on that project.  As of last night the local doe is still around so no critters got her anyhow.  Saw a couple of fawns nibbling at the crops a few days ago.

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
offdah, is all I can say, Friday night I hauled the IC 10 miles to Hout state park just wet of me, Friday night the wife met me after work and sat in the screen tent till 1130, sat mourning about 11 we caught up with some freindsand hit the road and put about 150 on the bikes. ate some good food and had a blast. we then all me t up back at Hout park for a local ABATE gathering with about 30 peope and campfires food and fun. I finally hit the hay about 230 this mourning. Yikes I usually don't do that cept for eelpout. Little slow moving today for sure. Hope all is well with everyone. LL good to hear from ya man. Glad your Guidinf went well. Hope thing are good.
78.50"

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
Sounds like you guys are having fun.  I put myself on a weekend detox after a week in Canada.  Going to grill some shrimp I picked up from Morries on the way home.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya back to the old grind today.  Was a nice weekend too. Looks like a little rain this week.  May not be as hot neither. 

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
You guy's catching fish and drinking adult beverages make me jealous.  I was busy at our church picnic.  No fish and no adult beverages.  Hot day with very little wind.  it was out at Lake Rebecca Park.  Ton's of people there and all the parking spots were full, including the grassy area.  Good food out there.  Mexican and Russian food stands.  I got me some kabobs and fried rice from t he Russian stand.  Very good.  Grandkids had a great time out there.  Animal petting area, pony riding, and plenty of those inflatables to jump and slide on.  LPS, there are mountain lions in Minnesota.  Someone hit one with a car not too long ago in the Ely area. 

I was up by the Isabella/Finland area a few years ago camping by myself.  Slept in back of the truck the whole time, since I was moving from lake to lake.  One night it was dead calm.  Woke up around 3 am, when mother nature called [had a few beers in the daytime].  Got back in the back of the truck where I had a mattress and sleeping bag.  I laid there for awhile looking at the stars through the windows and I heard this very loud roar.  Cat type roar.  Maybe a mountain lion, who knows.  Could have been a Lynx or bobcat also but it sounded like it came from a large cat.  good luck.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
They are pretty cool animals.  There have been a few spotted up here every now and then too.  In Warroad they closed a walking trail last year due to so many sightings of a female and cubs.