Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Good Morning!!!!!!  (Read 4901285 times)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Dotch. I work part time for a friend of mine thst has a implement business. I have rebuilt all kinds of different tractors for his business. But, when a Cockshutt shows up, they request me to come work on it.

Finished up with the tators today, jarred up another dozen pickles. I tell ya what.....I thought a ghost pepper pickle was hot....but, we tried some scorpion pickles yesterday that will melt yur face off! I  got a blister on my lip from the heat! Mixed up some marinated cucumbers with roma tomatoes & onions we'll have as a side for dinner tonight...just gotta figure out a main course.

Have a great holiday boys!
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Interesting reading that many of you had the same experience growing up around farms and farm equipment as I did.  I spent the first 18 years on a farm.  Yes we also had a Cockshutt 30.  I do remember putting up loose hay.  We would pull the "hay loader" behind the wagon, and then spread the loose hay over several layers of rope which we would then attach to the cable and pull it up into the barn.  It was a big improvement going to a square baler but the work was actually harder.  My dad would drive the John Deere 2010 pulling the John Deere 14-T baler while my brother and I piled the bails on the wagon.  He really enjoyed putting his foot up in the fender, puffing on a Crooks cigar, and pound down the throttle and just grin as we fought furiously to keep up.  Good times for sure. 
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Had a great time at the cabin the past few days.  My son, his wife and their son joined us on Saturday.  While having lunch in the porch, my grandson says, look her comes a deer.  A very respectable buck came running over a hill and towards the cabin.  He turned and went in the woods about 100 yards away.  Quite a sight at high noon.  Never did see anything chasing it. 
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Interesting reading that many of you had the same experience growing up around farms and farm equipment as I did.  I spent the first 18 years on a farm.  Yes we also had a Cockshutt 30.  I do remember putting up loose hay.  We would pull the "hay loader" behind the wagon, and then spread the loose hay over several layers of rope which we would then attach to the cable and pull it up into the barn.  It was a big improvement going to a square baler but the work was actually harder.  My dad would drive the John Deere 2010 pulling the John Deere 14-T baler while my brother and I piled the bails on the wagon.  He really enjoyed putting his foot up in the fender, puffing on a Crooks cigar, and pound down the throttle and just grin as we fought furiously to keep up.  Good times for sure. 

And that is one reason I went to college and got a degree.  My folks always said "get an education" and that was one reason. 

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Already 78* deg down here, with killer hume. Waiting for the big typhoon that's allegedly going to dump 5" or more on us down here in swampland. Sure glad I did that tiling and sump pump three years ago. Looks like a soggy, stormy week to start the back-to-school kiddies off. Makes me flash back right  to the yellow rain coats, and those floppy boots with the flip-over buckle thingies....sitting in the bright classroom, looking out at lightning flashing in the black sky. I'd do it all over again, if only I could. I sense a ham and cheddar omelet in the very near future...enjoy the day, guys.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Man Reb you better get the galloshes out.  How cool the grandson got to see that deer while at grandpas cabin.  Got a lot done around here too.  I stacked almost 6 cords of firewood this weekend.  Have a little more to stack but I got most of it done.  Also burned all of the branches we trimmed off the driveway.  Feels good to have that done.  i didn't even get out fishing over the weekend, was too busy.  Brought the crossbow out to the deer blind to see how it felt and I think it will work great. 

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Maybe I shouldn't have sold my boat, LPS!    :cry:

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Morning gents. couldnt sleep last night. was up 7-8 times thru out. called in sick. figured screw it, 2 inches of rain on saturday, wont be spreding fertilizer or taking soil samples, but actually struggling to to keep busy.  first time in over 2 years ive called in sick. first time on the new job at 9 months in. dont like doing it feel guilty, but when people around go home early cause they say they dont feel good, or this hurts ect. screw it, im good for one. I also use to ride the hay wagon and put up bails in the barn, tough work, hated it. I can also vividly remeber dad and grandpa hoisting loose hay thru the barn door in the hayloft.  the one thing that stands out the most is my brother convincing to grab on to the hay rope,"I wont pull you up to high, I promise" long way down...ouch. got a good bear on the pile to I post it in the big game thread. Have a good day guys.
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
WHY OUR HEALTH CARE COSTS ARE SO HIGH!

Those of us who spend much time in a doctor's office should appreciate this! Doesn't it seem more and more that physicians are running their practices like an assembly line?
Here's what happened to Kevin:

Kevin walked into a doctor's office and the receptionist asked him what he had. Kevin said: "Shingles."
So she wrote down his name, address, medical insurance number and told him to have a seat.

Fifteen minutes later a nurse's aide came out and asked Kevin what he had...
Kevin said, "Shingles."
So she wrote down his height, weight, a complete medical history and told Kevin to wait in the examining room.

A half hour later a nurse came in and asked Kevin what he had. Kevin said, "Shingles.."
So the nurse gave Kevin a blood test, a blood pressure test, an electrocardiogram, and told Kevin to take off all his clothes and wait for the doctor.

An hour later the doctor came in and found Kevin sitting patiently in the nude and asked Kevin what he had.

Kevin said, "Shingles."
The doctor asked, "Where?"
Kevin said, "Outside on the truck. Where do you want me to unload 'em?"

;D

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
LOL! sounds like union glnn to me....
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Say, where is that union monger anyway? Someone pull a Hoffa on him?!

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
Say, where is that union monger anyway? Someone pull a Hoffa on him?!
The Acorns are ripe an fallin !!!! Maybe he's wit his cousin's gathering???
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
He's in Minneapolis asking all those nurses at Allina if they want some "help"  and wanna see his picket. 

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I think he's showing them the "proper" way to lean on a shovel..... that, or the role of quarters he has in his pocket.  :scratch:
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
He just needs to remember the potato goes in the front.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Sheez i ain't been around in 5 days and still get slapped around! :bs: :surrender: :surrender:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
That must be a sign that you were missed Glen.  That is a good thing.  Good one about the shingles Reb.  By the way after watching Terry Bradshaw's commercials on shingles I went in a got the shot about a year ago.  A friend of mine had shingles a few years ago and he was pretty uncomfortable and nothing you can really do about it I don't think.  I told the nurse Terry Bradshaw sent me.  She smiled but I don't know if she knew what I meant.  Rebs you better go buy your boat back.  You have more rain coming I see.  I told the wife I love that part of the state but it sure seems like lots of rain every few years makes for lots of flooding and erosion problems.  Maybe I will just stay put up here away from those Zika squitos. 

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I got my shingles shot last year, LPS. Don't need those along with the other issues. Ya, I miss my boat, but not being able to take it out because of physical limitations was almost harder...there it sat, and I couldn't do much about it. A nice family bought it and loves it, so I'm happy. Not to mention I actually sold it for exactly what I bought it new for years back! I'd say I got my money out of it!  ;) Waiting to see how bad we get flooded here in Swampville right now, I can't see the rain gauge from here, and I'm not moving until my coffee's done...kinda like Glenn.  ;D
Supposed to be a solid week of T-storms here. I snuck out yday afternoon on the rider and got the yard done before the rain hit. Figgered in a week, with the rain, my yard will be a foot tall and I'll have to have Dotch bring his baler down. Or maybe drop a few sheep off.
Good to see yer OK and all in one piece, Glenn. Thought maybe BOar had taken ya out on a bear hunt and left ya in the woods. Well, I need another cuppa joe, so I think I'll amble out to the ran gauge to see how far along we are. Have a good day, guys!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
ahhhhhhhhhhh you guys miss me!!!!!!!!! I'm blushing!!!!!!!!!!! morning all.............headed to red wing today!!!!!!!!!! need to buy a new tackle box, mine went KAPUT over the weekend!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
ahhhhhhhhhhh you guys miss me!!!!!!!!! I'm blushing!!!!!!!!!!! morning all.............headed to red wing today!!!!!!!!!! need to buy a new tackle box, mine went KAPUT over the weekend!!!!!!!!!!!

Ya, that seemed to be an issue with those, handle/latch breaking off a lot.  ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
naw reb..............the fish was sooooooooo big the tail smashed it wit its tail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Morning all. Drying out after all the rain on Sunday. We had 2.65" of rain. At our hunting land I hear it was 4" of rain. We our supposed to go there this weekend and get some work done. I think we may get some wet feet. I am glad the Vikings went and got Bradford. At least they are being aggressive. Have a good day.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
He just needs to remember the potato goes in the front.

:laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll:
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
My dad owned an implement dealership for 40 years.   We lived in town but my dad would loan me out to every farmer on the planet in the summer.   I bailed hay, milked cows,  walked beans, picked rock.  Come to think of it I'm not sure I was loaned out as I never saw any money.   From about the age of 5 or 6 I  was driving tractor, combines,  and fork lifts.   If it can be driven I can drive it.   
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
On the shingles thing: Had them 3 years ago. Started as a rash on my right side. After treating it unsuccessfully for a week with anti-insect bite and anti-fungals it spread so went to the doctor. She prescribed some acyclovir horse pills and it calmed down after about 10 days. In the meantime it was painful to the touch. Tight fitting clothes made it hurt and sleeping was difficult. The worst was showering. Even cool water felt like it was scalding hot when it hit the affected area, enough to make me grit my teeth and cuss. After about 10 days the pain subsided although the scars were evident for months.

We were spared the brunt of the rain with only 1.39" and 1.08" in town and at the ranch respectively since Monday. The soil moisture profile in the top 5' is full though and the mosquitoes are unreal from prior rainfall events. For the months July and August we had almost 17" of rain total at the ranch, only about .8" less than we'd typically expect for May - August.  Crop won't be using much more now it's approaching maturity. Needs to dry out to avoid making a real mess come harvest time.

The Bradford signing looks like a good move at this point. Finally someone who can get the ball down the field when necessary and is still mobile enough so he doesn't need a cane or a walker.  :happy1:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Another 3/4" of rain snuck in on us last night.  Our cukes have just kicked in in the last few weeks.  No green peppers yet, just little flowers.  I think so much rain here just slowed everything down.  Maters are doing good now.  Eating them in salads every night.  Good time of year.  I am haveing a small zucchinni cut up in chunks as part of my lunch today.  I like to do that with cukes too.   Well the weekend is getting close.  Have a good one all. 

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Well, the massive storms and have rain didn't materialize. Flood watch/warning cancelled. I had a whopping 1/2" rain in my gauge from it all. The wedder morjits blew it again...and for once, I'm glad. It's like a tropical steambath down here in Swampville today. We've had consistent dewpoints above 70* all summer, which is in the gag me range. Only thing benefiting that I can see are the skeeters and my 'mato's. Picked some last nite, and the skeeters attacked in swarms. Suns struggling to come out right now, funky orange sky out there.
No more of those big omelets with toast and jam...I've gained four lbs. Think it's all the mac salads I've had for side dishes, and the occasional bowl of ice cream, which I never eat, but picked some up a few weeks ago. Back to the lettuce salads and a small piece of meat for supper....dang. Have a good day, guys.

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Another day in paradise. We ended up getting just over 3/8" of rain last night. Still more than we needed. I hear ya Reb about the good food and gaining weight. Always so easy to put on and so hard to take off.  Speaking of that we will be eating good at the hunting camp this weekend I'm sure. Have a good day everyone.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
morning fellers............not much happening. could use a bit more rain around central mn . gonna start working on  the lawn here soon, real soon.  talking all this food gonna be grilling pig chops tonite......................and reb ..........a bowl of ice cream tonite sounds good!!!!!!! we go thru ALOT of 5 qt pails of ice cream. kemps chocolate, mint chocolate chip Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yesterday in red wing had a seasoned sausage burger and fries at liberties. datz a good burger! well back at it.

the weekend brings a little family get to gether...........yippee........not. maybe a fire and some brewskis!!!!!!! 

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
The wedding bug has bit around these parts. Got one coming up on Saturday. Ish. I hate weddings. Fortunately it is relatively local so it doesn't involve long distance travel like sometimes. 32nd wedding anniversary today so probably better make a token effort. Did oil the hinges on the fold down front seats in the Stude should Mrs. Cheviot get me in a compromising position. Getting oil changed and new nerf bars put on truck so I'm afoot and not on horseback.  I told them they could keep the wire as a tip at the shop. They can probably use it for future repairs. Has been no dating fat chicks in the meantime.  :doah:

[attachment deleted by admin]
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)