Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Good Morning!!!!!!  (Read 4904948 times)

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey you are an interesting looking dudy Glenn....    lol  Happy Birthday buddy and I hope all is well with the missus.  Now you can raise some heck whilst she is laying low.......

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
well ended up with 3 hams and a turkey, 2 hams for the senior center and the other ham and turkey to woman's shelter.  they were very happy and such a small thing to do for them.. great way to start the day!!!!

Hey, way to go, Mike!!!! What a great thing to do!!!    I missed this post earlier....   :happy1:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya I agree, you are a good man Mike.  I am sure many will appreciate it.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
thanks guys, to me it's a small thing to help those with less that are trying.....

I'm lucky where I'm living today
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I usually volunteer at the Salvation army on the holidays, to serve the dinners, been doing that for about ten years or so. Haven't gone the last couple, due to my walking issues. BUT, I noticed years ago people could never get enough milk for some reason, and most of what they serve is kool-aid or weak coffee or punch. SO, I would go out and get as many gallon jugs of milk as I could on my way down to the dinners. (And anything else I could get the store to toss in as I paid for the milk) If it didn't get drank, then it went in the 'fridge for the lunches they serve at noon during the week. I was eating dinner with some of the folk on Thanksgiving a few years back when I got done serving, (You get to have a dinner whenever yer done serving) Two guys asked me if they could have a dinner to take with therm, because they had nothing to eat that nite, and one had a friend that he knew wouldn't have any. I told 'em to hold on and went and put a three together on plates covered with foil for them. One of the "in charge" ladies there told me I couldn't do that, because we don't "do take out". I looked down on her and told her if she wanted to try to stop me, go for it. I don't deal well with that kinda crap. They got their dinners. And my buddy that heads up the school lunch program tells me about how a certain group of imports dump their food in the trash, and just take the fruit and drinks. The school HAS to give them the full meal, knowing that it's just going to get dumped in the trash. Makes him ballistic. I'm surprised he hasn't punted one of them 20 yds yet.....

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
If I may,  (I'll move this to another thread if ya want, HD) I'd like to post a short story I wrote seven years ago for a magazine. (Ya, I used to do short stories....)
It's called  "The man on the street", and it's a true experience that happened to me, as I learned about humility from my Dad. He was a very successful businessman, who never forgot where he came from, Twelve kids in his farm family; all parceled out to orphanages and his only brother to Father Flanagan's Boys Town. I still have a xmas card and pic from there from uncle Ronny. Dad quit school at 17 and went into the Navy, where he served admirably as a corpsman in WWII. (Pharmacist's mate)  Dad would often stop on the street, and give somebody enough money for a meal, or, if he was going into a restaurant, drag the guy in with him and buy him a meal. Anyway, here's the story...

The Man on the street

When I was a kid in the 60's, there was a dirty, disheveled guy with a big lump on his head, that would shuffle up and down the main drag, seemingly oblivious to the world and people around him. He seemed ageless. Because of the lump on the side of his head, kids named him "Onion head" or "Onion Joe". These seemingly intelligent, well-bred middle class future politicians/rocket scientists would harass this poor person unendingly. I myself would often hoot at him, displaying my plethora of highly intellectual verbiage for my age. My Dad owned an appliance store, and every summer would have a big outdoor tent sale, replete with food and beverages, which seemed to attract every street urchin within a 3 mile vicinity.
The people with no homes or jobs were, in that day and age, bums. Period. No empathy, need or justification could raise them from that unwanted status.
During one lazy afternoon at the tent sale, as it was my highly important and status-raising job in that twelve- year old bracket, to replenish the sodas, hot dogs and barbeques that were free fare for all who wished. I put on my tough twelve-year old demeanor when my Dad wasn't around, and attempted to shoo away these pesky "bums", who with streetwise knowledge, ignored me as they would a puffed up horny toad. For some reason, my Dad never minded feeding folks down on their luck. Suddenly, there was old "Joe"....grabbing a bun, making a mess, and attempting to make himself a barbeque sandwich. I don't remember what it was I said to him to get him out of there, because there suddenly was a hand around my neck that yanked me flat on my back in the gravel, then helped me stand up by pulling my shirt in a vertical yank. "What the $#@! did you just say to that poor man?!" said my Dad's red face, inches from mine. "Get your a** out of here right now and in my office!" I was too surprised, hurt, and ashamed that my tough demeanor was shattered in front of my equally tough pre-teen comrades, not to mention the pain that was still in my back from hitting that gravel drive like a drop kicked mule. I was there long enough to see my Dad go over and give Joe a paper plate, make some barbeques for him, and ask him if he wanted something "to drink"..not "wanna soda?" but "Would you like something to drink?"
That day, I learned humility,empathy and to appreciate fellow human beings for what they were , are, and may be, from a great human being, my Dad.
Not so long ago, right before I took my early retirement from law-enforcment, there was a pic of "Joe" in the local obituaries. His real name was Ronald, and he was 70 years old. He had died in a group home in town.  I was reading this in the break room with one of the officers on my team, who, oddly enough, was named Joe, and I mentioned, "Did you ever know old Joe?", I asked, chuckling. He was quiet for a bit, then softly said to me, looking down at the table, "Yes, he was my brother".
The world froze for an unknown amount of time, as did my unthinking mouth.
I learned "Ronald' was a highly intelligent young man, until the car he was in coming home from school was broadsided, killing his sister and leaving him impaired.
I volunteer at the Salvation Army, and spend most Christmas' and Thanksgivings there, serving the dinners, eating my dinner there,  with whoever doesn't mind me sitting next to them, and enjoying the day. I randomly will help folks out with a spot of money or whatever I can if they look hungrier than I am. I have no problem with sharing my lunch in a park with someone, be it another person, a stray pooch, or maybe a wayward pigeon.
It's taken most of my lifetime, but I like to praise myself by wishfully thinking that maybe I finally understand a little bit of what life SHOULD be like, if I can at least make it that way, a little better, for someone, for just a little bit...
Like Father, like son.
« Last Edit: September 09/20/17, 08:14:02 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Thanks guys deer da b-day wishes. Yea LPS I'm way more handsome than that! :happy1:

You done good Mike, but I'll keep my thoughts in regards to women shelters to myself.

Momma is doing fine, should go home tomorrow. Pretty much back to normal, she's already bossing me around; :surrender:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Morning all. I like your story Rebs. It is amazing how we get older and wiser. Glad to her momma is doing well Glenn. Not much new happening her, just another day in paradise. Have a good one!
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
mornin all, good reading Reb!!! Glenn I understand your thought's too.  it is what it is I guess, I just try to help when I can.. like I have said before, I know I'm lucky to be where I'm at today..

another great day in the books and we got one heck of a storm last night about midnight.  winds lighting thunder and 1/2 inch of rain..  it was really making some loud noises!!!!  well lets see what the day bring us today!!!  have a good one all.... 

you to Glenn with commander back barking orders!!!
« Last Edit: September 09/20/17, 07:59:46 AM by mike89 »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
SUPER NICE STORY REB!!!!!!!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1: :happy1:

morning fellers............holy hannah did we ever have a storm last nite. woke about 1 50 am, i heard he thunder earlier but it was pouring out. it was non-stop thunder, and i mean non stop for at least 1/2 hour. checked this morning and i had 1 3/4 inches of rain.

not much else, expect to kidnap momma outta da hospital today, not sure when, depends on when she passes the therapy quiz!!!!!! could be 9 am or 3 this afternoon.

lawn needs to be cut and other things done. tomorrow its give blood day......so they leave me alone for a while!!!!!!! sheez there pesky!!!!!!! 

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Mornin' kiddo's. Not much sleep last nite. Windier than a cow, had the windows all open because it was so warm, and the blinds were snappin' and flappin'. Was supposed to T-storm and rain, but as usual, wedder morjits were way off again. I wasn't. I told my buddy at 9:00 last nite no way was it gonna T-storm. All we got was wind; just like from the wedder morjits. Some blood tests today, and that's about it. I see cawfee is finally on sale; Fareway has the 3 lb tubs of all varieties of Folgers for $5.99;  $7.99 everywhere else. Gonna go grab about six. (if they let me) That will get me thru the winter. Now, if bacon would go on sale, I'd be all set. Last thing on my freezer list. Other than that, not much going on. I've got all my Fall stuff done the last couple weeks except fertilizing and aerating. That's gonna happen about Oct 15th, or so I've planned, if the wedder cooperates. Gonna drop my fert then my buddy's gonna come aerate. Mulch the leaves until they're all down with the red rocket, and call it good. I gave up leaf raking two years ago and just powder the leaves with the mower. My place is surrounded by a gazillion huge maples. Just way too much work and expense to rake. 25 yrs of it is enough for me.
Hope ya get momma home OK, Glenn. Good luck.   Have a good day, guys... :coffee:

Offline markn

• Master Outdoorsman
Great story Reb. Thanks for sharing it.
mm

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Great story Rebs.  Thanks.  Always good to get back down to earth and see things as they really are or should be.  My Dad is one of the 2 nicest people I have ever known and that has been a good influence on me although I will never be in his category.  I just talked to him an hour ago.  Have a good one all.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Morning all.  TGIT.  The weekend is close although the weather forecast is not good.  Looks like rain and cooler weather.  Oh well we need more current the river to attract the shiners and therefore the walleyes.  Almost no current now.  BUT the rain needs to be east of us to do any good.  Well back to the Honey nut Cheerios. 

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Morning all. Yep, weather is looking crappy for the weekend and until mid next week. Going to go and feed Houdini the bear tonight. May sit to depending on if he has been coming in consistently or not. Wind direction is not looking to good either. Well, not much else happening. Good luck bringing home the boss Glenn. Have a good one all.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
mornin all, yea rain is supposed to be here to this weekend.  not a lot going on here today quick run to town for some food and then this afternoon ride over to Camp Ripley to make arrangements for my wife and me, always some thing!!  have a good day all!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Morning all. 52* and sunny here. Heading for 78* today,  94* tomorrow, and low 90's Sat and Sunday. End o' summer cook off. Gonna be putter around day. Picked up some chicky quarters to smome on da grill. Need somethong to go along with them, I'm sick of all the salads...mac, potato, 'cukes, etc.,  and cole slaws. Maybe make a pot of spicy beans.
Have a good one, guys.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Mornin boys, 49 early & breezy,so no :fishing: Yday was grocery day again, heard 3 people standing in line at the checkouts talking about their power being out when they woke up yday. We had a lot of wind, lightning, & about a 1 1/2" of rain in the gauge from Wednesday morning. Near as I could tell it was about 2 am when it hit here. Bfast is on & my laundry is about done so I gotta go. Hope you all have a good Thursday.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Coffee118

• Master Outdoorsman
Morning all. Not much today but work. It's going to be a hot humid weekend here, Friday golf after work, Saturday go watch the World of Outlaws sprint cars and relax and watch the games on Sunday. A friend of ours son races sprint cars at a local track and this July he raced with the outlaws for the first time and had the fastest placement lap time. He is only 16 years old and on the first lap and the first turn of the feature race the old timers put him in the wall to say welcome to the club young man and ended his night. Needless to say his mother doesn't want him to race Incase they do it again but he's out for revenge and to give them a whooping. Y'all have a safe and fun day/weekend
if you kick me when I'm down you better pray I don't get up.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
morning everyone. kinda working from home this morning. gotta give blood at noon, to much driving forth and back so i'll go do the blood thing then head to work. its meeting night so it'll be an extended day.

got momma home yesterday, damn she's needy. :rotflmao: :rotflmao: actually she is doing really good. getting around in a walker now. no trips to theraphy she can do it at home.i now have my bionic woman, both new hips and both new knees!!!!!!

got the lawn cut yesterday along with some udder tings in between checking on the wifey. a co-worker adopted a kid up bythe cabin so gonna head that way for the get to gether. was gonna spend the weekend but not with allthe rain in the forecast. not much else.

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
That was a great story Reb!!  Your dad was a great man and did more good with heart than most on earth do with their money.  That heart was installed within you and it is a eternal gift.  Showing kindness is often more of a blessing than some cash in hand.  That cash can go quickly but the act of kindness will last in time.  Just some house work today and placing a order with Curley's.  good luck.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks, RH. Appreciate it.  :smiley:

Offline ThunderLund78

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I usually only check-in here every couple days, so when I saw peoples' comments, I had to go back and find your story, Reb.  You're father was a good man, as was (and still is) mine. I'm raising two boys now and they're good kids; but I often torture myself by thinking of how could I ever be as good of an example for my kids as my dad was to me.  Because of him, My sisters and I had a pretty comfortable upbringing.  We weren't wealthy - or even well-off, but when there were struggles, the kids never knew.  It wasn't until we all got older and stories were shared at holdidays, etc. did we know what lengths my parents went through to make it good for their kids.  My dad was raised DIRT POOR in a big family, was never a great student, went to trade school, joined the Navy and then became a Pipefitter by trade for the rest of his working days.  He's the most resourceful and handiest guy I know - can pretty much fix anything; maybe not perfect, but he can make it work :)  And a better work ethic, I have never seen.

Anyway, I got to go to college - which he paid for, I have no student loan debt and I sit in a good white collar job. And while I had to work for all of that and work every day to support my growing family, it's nothing like he had to endure.  So I do often lay awake at night wondering how do I show my kids - who play sports, wear brand name clothing and have an XBOX - that you don't take anything for grant-it...  well Reb, your story is a good example of how showing humility to those in need is an easy thing to do - and it can make a VERY long-lasting impression.  Thanks for sharing!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
HAPPY 1st DAY OF FALL!!   I'm up and yer not.  ;) 'Morning from Swampville, even though they say we're too dry down here.  Already 72* and 95% hume, with a gagging 70* dewpoint. Headed for a record high of 94* , windy, with a 100* heat index. Some Fall day, huh? I'm stayin' in and havin' cold chicky and leftovers for dinner. Hard to believe Summer is over; where did it go? Cicada's and crickets were really goin' at it last nite. Seemed so short this year, with all the rain and storms we had, not many just plain lazy, summery days.... :sad: Will be startin' the Fall stuff in earnest next week. Going to schedule my furnace check. Three years old now, time for a more thorough tech check than the ones I do yearly. So danged spendy, though. Got my fertilizer, grass seed, and spreaders ready to go. Everything that needed it has been painted, caulked, and checked. Will do windows last. Blowers are ready to go. Major stuff is all done.
Freezer's full, cupboards too. Bring it on; I'm ready for you. Speaking of, some smomed bacon, eggs, toast, and juice is sounding good about now....enjoy that first day of Fall, y'all.  :azn:

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 09/22/17, 06:36:26 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Wow what an overachiever Rebs.  To be honest I didn't do a thing last night.   :rotflmao:  Just sat after work and watched the PBS Viet Nam thing.  We are DVRing it.  Man what a quality done show.  That Ken Burns knows how to do it.  That show he did on The War was mostly interviews of men from Luverne where I grew up.  I knew them all.  Fathers of my buddies.  Some have died since the show.   They had the Grand Opening of it in Luverne at the beautiful Palace Theatre.  Even Ken Burns attended.   Impressive gig...

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Morning all. Happy TGIF and as Reb said Happy first day of fall. Poof is where the summer went. Not much ne w happening here. Have company coming up this weekend. Have a good one all.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
O joy...... :doah:  :angry:

..HEAT ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 1 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO 7 PM CDT THIS EVENING... * TEMPERATURE...highs in the lower to mid 90s. * HEAT INDICES...around 100. * IMPACTS...heat illnesses are possible, especially for those who are active outdoors.
« Last Edit: September 09/22/17, 08:18:57 AM by Rebel SS »

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
mornin all, yes it's been a different summer for sure...  got 1/4 inch of rain this morning again and still talking major rain tomorrow and sunday, we don't need it!!!  not much going on today so play it it as it come along.  got all the final plans done with the cemetery at Camp Ripley yesterday so one more thing done...  well have a good day all!!!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Mornin gents, 67 last time I looked, they're talkin 80 for us. We had some thunder & what I used to call heat lightning about the time(~6) I was thinking about going :fishing:. Maybe a little mowing down by the road otherwise not much on the list. So I'll have to see what comes my way.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Hi, guys.  I plan to get things together for a weekend deer hunt.  I know it's a little iffy with warm temps and windy but you have to start sometime.  Big bucks are waiting and I don't want to let them down.   :deer:
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***