Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Good Morning!!!!!!  (Read 4902711 times)

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Columbus Day was one of my favorite Holidays.  We all forgot about it till the week before the Holiday.  It was always a surprise.  Keep the name the same...

Are you going down to lake whatever it is now to celebrate?  :scratch:

https://www.kaaltv.com/news/minnesota-celebrates-indigenous-peoples-day/5523764/?cat=10151

I reckon so. If I remember correctly however there were some distant relatives of mine killed by indigenous people in Nebraska. That should qualify me. I'll probably just watch an extra episode of Gunsmoke tonite instead.   :pouty:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm gonna grill some piggers....and celebrate the whole MONTH!  :happy1:

https://nationaldaycalendar.com/national-pork-month-october/

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Sprinkler blow out at nephew's went fine.  No rhyme or reason as to where they put zones and heads but that's for him to decipher now.   :confused:

Today I did the finish sanding on a couple wood projects I started on Saturday.  Ready for sealing and who knows what next.

My buddy working on turning a bowl.

Cut this from large red pine that blew over. This cookie is 24"X42". Should make a great table top.

This cookie is for a mirror.  The hole was cut last year to prevent cracking while drying.

***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
deadeye, how thick is that????? i ask because we tried that with black walnut. wasnt quiet that big but was cut about an inch thick and still split. i would think putting it in something to dry slower may have ended up with better results.  :scratch: :scratch:

other thing i noticed, and i dont know if it works the same with wood as it does with steel, but when that piece was cut out i didnt see the corners drilled out. when you do that with steel it wont crack or split beyond the drilled hole!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I just got done moving my roll in dock out of the river.  It got me to the floating dock and worked great.  BUT.  The river is up at least 3' and still rising.  It took chest waders to get to the roll in that was high and dry before all of this rain.  I was going to leave it in for the winter as I did with my old dock every year.  It took 2 come alongs and my plow truck with a lift kit in it just to get the dock to high ground.  I didn't dare back my truck any deeper in the water so had to drag it a ways to get to where I could work on it.  I will sleep much better tonight knowing I have it out of the river.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
When we cut them last year they were between 2.5 - 3.5 inches thick.  There are two ways to stop or at least minimize splitting.  Splitting is the result of the outer part drying faster than the inner part.  Several things can be done to prevent this.  One way is to wrap the piece in brown paper or cardboard to trap moisture and slow the process down. This can take 6-9 months or even up to a year for the piece to dry.  Cutting out the center can also help considerably to prevent the splitting.  One problem with slow drying wet pine is it can mold which is another issue.  Another way is to paint the wood with a liquid that slows the drying process.  My friend rough cuts a bowl when the wood is wet or freshly cut and leaves it much thicker than the final product will be. Then he covers the wet bowl with this magical liquid and puts it on a shelf for 3 months at which time he checks the moisture content and if dry enough will complete the bowl or what ever he is making.  I've learned a lot about wood by working with buddy over the past few years.  He cut some black ash slabs for table tops last year.  It can easily take over a year from cutting the tree to a finished product.  Most of the time is used properly drying the wood to prevent splitting or cracking. 

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I just got done moving my roll in dock out of the river.  It got me to the floating dock and worked great.  BUT.  The river is up at least 3' and still rising.  It took chest waders to get to the roll in that was high and dry before all of this rain.  I was going to leave it in for the winter as I did with my old dock every year.  It took 2 come alongs and my plow truck with a lift kit in it just to get the dock to high ground.  I didn't dare back my truck any deeper in the water so had to drag it a ways to get to where I could work on it.  I will sleep much better tonight knowing I have it out of the river.

Wow....this is the stuff that worries me big time about what Spring is going to be like if we get much snow or Spring rains...the river is still way over No Wake zone down here. *ulp*

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Wow....this is the stuff that worries me big time about what Spring is going to be like if we get much snow or Spring rains...the river is still way over No Wake zone down here. *ulp*
i know it bites with a high water table or in a river setting but this is the best thing the lakes up in our area at the cabin could see. them lakes were really bad low!!!!!!!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
besides with my skills and fishing abilities...........the fish need as much of an advantage as they can get. :happy1: :happy1: and more water gives them a bit more of an edge!!!!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
It's today DE!.
What? indigenous peoples day?   Yeah , would have saved me a trip to the mailbox if I had remembered....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yzzCYJDPrQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qXHU6wla8A

Can't find video of the old song with the lines....
Christopher Columbus what do you think of that
A great big lady sat upon my hat..
   My boy scout hat
   she squashed it flat.   

Can't remember the rest....Anybody?   

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Of course, Delmar....just fer you.   :bonk:

My Boy Scout Hat

To the tune of "Finiculee Finicula"

One day I took with me upon the subway,
My Boy Scout Hat, My Boy Scout Hat.
I laid it down upon the seat beside me,
My Boy Scout Hat, My Boy Scout Hat.
A big Scoutmaster came and sat upon it.

My Boy Scout hat, he squashed it flat!
A big Scoutmaster came and sat upon it.
My Boy Scout Hat, he squashed it flat!
Christopher Columbus! Now what do ya' think of that?
A big Scoutmaster sat upon my hat.
My hat he broke, and that's no joke!
My hat he broke and that's no joke!
Cristopher Columbus! Now what do ya' think of that?

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
We sang "a great big lady" not scoutmaster.  We weren't  PC back in the day...   
And I was looking for a video, doesn't seem to be on youtube.     

But nice to have the mostly correct lyrics.   

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Well cripes, can't satisfy anybody today. WTH 's in the water?! Perhap's it's a figment of yer partially addled mind, due to substances imbibed over the years,  mayhap?   :smoking:
« Last Edit: October 10/14/19, 05:04:53 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Well cripes, can't satisfy anybody today. WTH 's in the water?! Perhap's it's a figment of yer partially addled mind, due to substances imbibed over the years,  mayhap?   :smoking:

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman

You sing it the PC way, I'll do it old school.     :sleazy:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
mornin all, 39 going form 44 and a small chance of rain..  not much going on today so just go with it..  have a good day all...

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
44* here to jump up a whole 5* to 49* for a high, then rain. What else?   :coffee:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Mornin gang, 40* when I 1st looked. No rain(70% chance) yet, 'bout 9 they're sayin. I grabbed the leaf blower yday afternoon & worked on the driveway a little. Some prep work for the snow fence we put up to protect the front of the garage too. Not sure :scratch: what's on the list for today. Have to find somethin to putz around with. Have a good Tuesday! :happy1:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Morning boys.  Raining here.  Just what we need.  I think it is another inside day today.  Getting tired of this weather.  Glad I took the boat out when I did.  Have a good one to all of youse.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
We had rain 4 out of 7 days average all Summer....says the NWS. Made Seattle look sunny.
"The rainy Nor'wester falls mainly in CAWchester"..... :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: October 10/15/19, 07:42:44 AM by Rebel SS »

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I heard something on the radio a couple of weeks ago about rain/weather records set in your area.  I just looked and we have 1/2" and it is still coming down.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Morning boys.  Raining here.  Just what we need.  I think it is another inside day today.  Getting tired of this weather.  Glad I took the boat out when I did.  Have a good one to all of youse.
Our lift will be comin out 1 of these next couple days when it gets nicer too.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
morning fellers..............you too reb!!!!!!!! :nerd: :nerd: well i put da boat in Moms shed for the winter last nite. kinda pathetic, only fished out of it once this past summer. oh well off to the next adventure.

sounds like a rainy day, so i need to get da big gun cleaned tonight after its been in wet humid wedder all of bear season.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Pretty much done with all the winter prep around the home.  Still need to dig cannas, swap the lawn mower for the snow blower, and till the gardens.  Need a hard killing frost so I can do the last mowing and other work.  Planned on hunting today but forecast indicated rain and wind (now that's new) for this afternoon so maybe I will go tomorrow. 

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Mornin' gang! 41 at choretime heading for a hi in the upper 40's. Starting out kinda cloudy & dreary. Dew is staying on so it'll be a while until soybeans are dry enough to go. Some corn being picked in the meantime. Wet. 25% is the driest I've heard. Pretty muddy yet too so guys need to pick their spots or the machines will go down. Since yer in digging mode deadeye, yer welcome to dig my cannas while yer at it!  :bonk:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Mornin' gang! 41 at choretime heading for a hi in the upper 40's. Starting out kinda cloudy & dreary. Dew is staying on so it'll be a while until soybeans are dry enough to go. Some corn being picked in the meantime. Wet. 25% is the driest I've heard. Pretty muddy yet too so guys need to pick their spots or the machines will go down. Since yer in digging mode deadeye, yer welcome to dig my cannas while yer at it!  :bonk:
dotch....roundup should work!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1: :happy1: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Cannas got pretty well freezer burned over the weekend so not much uptake there and I sure ain't gonna spray deadeye with roundup!  :huh:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Cannas got pretty well freezer burned over the weekend so not much uptake there and I sure ain't gonna spray deadeye with roundup!  :huh:
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :pouty: :pouty: :confused: