Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Good Morning!!!!!!  (Read 4902584 times)

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Mornin' gang! 68 at choretime heading for a high in the mid-80's. Slight chance of some heavy weather moving thru later afternoon into the evening. Spent yesterday afternoon checking corn fields, particularly those bordering CRP plantings. Luckily most of that could be done from the air conditioned comfort of the pickup. Head is a little fuzzy today. Was a good evening to enjoy several libations. This last Beefeater I bought was only 44% alcohol. Normally it's 47%.  :scratch: Was adding a little extra per cocktail so must've overcompensated somewhat. Seemed like a good idea at the time...  :cool:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :happy1: :scratch: :tequila; Still learnin?  :doah:                                                 ;) :rolleyes: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Morning boys. A little over compensating can make for a foggy morning. I hate when that happens. 67 here this morning heading for the mid 80s they are saying. It was up around 90 yesterday again. :puke: Can't say I did much of anything except figure out that a coil went bad on the boat motor. Not sure why since they were all replaced 4 years ago. But at least it wasn't the $300 part that went bad. Thankful for that. New coil will be in Friday. Well, another fine Monday back in the salt mines. Have a good one boys.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
mornin all!!  glad ya had a fairly easy fix Jb!!  yes it was hot yesterday!!!  68 and light rain here now with more rain coming the way it looks!!  but going for a hot 87 today..  did get a nice bike ride in yesterday..  nothing going on outside for the most part today...   have a good day all!!
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Morning guys.   Getting a little badly needed rain this morning here at da lake.   May go  :fish2: when it stops.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Mornin gents, 72* already here & headed back to near 90* too. Some storms just north & west of us this am but not a drop here so far. We had some heavy stuff go just south & east of us yday but all we had was ~ a 1/2 hour of kind of heavy rain. :happy1: :cool: I did see somethin I've never seen before on 1 of the radar shots yday as that storm was goin through & that was black on the radar. The weather guy said he'd never seen that before either so he clicked on it & rainfall totals of 42.26 inches per hour popped up. :shocked: Think ~ that :scratch:, that =  almost 3/4 OF AN INCH A MINUTE for somewhere in the viewing area.:crazy: Flooding in < 5 minutes. :thumbs: There was some big winds(60+), the neighbors had a big limb come down, & hail in the area as well. Got some errands to get done before the heat kicks in today so I better go. Have a good day.
« Last Edit: June 06/29/20, 07:52:06 AM by Gunner55 »

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Morning boys.  Sunny with a little breeze here.  I need to get some mowing done before it gets too hot today.  Looks like some rain in our future but not today I don't think.  Good for you getting the motor figured out JB.  Well we binged yesterday and did finish Bates Motel.  Now what?  LOL  We have enjoyed doing these extended movie things.  I asked the wife after our drive yesterday well what do you want to do now?  We looked at each other and broke out laughing.  I knew she wanted to watch it and so did I. Man Gunner that is a lot of water falling out of the sky!  You all have a great day!

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
that brings new definition to pouring buckets outside. Wowzers!  :crazy:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Mornin' gang! 66 at choretime heading or a high in the upper 80's. .85" of rain at the ranch in the past 24 hrs. & .21" in Bugtussle. Typical Monday. Tons of calls & people wanting info. Still trying to get to some things one of which is an @ss chewing for the co-op after they knocked the fence down over at the neighbors for the third time in the last three years. Also planning on sending them a bill. Not a lot of fun battling mosquitoes, deer flies & stinging nettles trying to figure out where the fence is grounded out, let alone repairing what some dumb@ss who can't keep his boom out of the fence destroyed.   
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Anyone can make a mistake when running equipment and it usually means getting too close to something else.  I wonder if it was the same operator?  Maybe if you moved your fence over a few feet they wouldn't hit it.  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1: :happy1:   

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Unlikely to the first question as this is the third year in a row.  3 or 4 years prior to that they clipped the wooden posts on the west side of the pasture fence a couple times wrecking my bluebird houses but causing little structural damage to the fence itself. 

Not my fence to move I'm afraid. With the advent of guidance systems, when the sprayer operator starts out they set an A-B line and the machine will automatically parallel it with each subsequent pass, straight as an arrow. Younger, inexperienced applicators love to press the "easy button". Trouble is not everything is straight, this pasture fence included. The pasture was a wooded cattle lot that was overgrown. When Jim fenced it off 25+ years ago, none of this was an issue. The fence he built was a 4-strand barbed wire, primarily steel T posts with wooden corner brace posts. That's OK for a cattle fence but sheep will go right on through it. The easiest solution was to put insulators in between the bottom three strands of barbed wire and string electric wire. The good news: It keeps the sheep in and helps keep predators out. The bad news: raccoons, turkeys, opossums, etc. crawl through it, get lit up, snarling the electric wire with the barbed wire. Grounds the electric fence out dead. Things crawl thru it at will then. Same thing if some clown hits the fence with a sprayer boom and bends the steel posts into a "C" shape. Last year they hit 5 T posts in a row. I wonder how much stuff it tore off the boom not to mention how many nozzles it wrecked. The barbed wire alone would cut hoses & nozzle bodies to pieces.

Had an adult conversation with the guy in charge today at the co-op who claimed he was unaware there was any problem. Jim has never said anything even though he's been fixing a lot of the bent steel posts and restringing the broken barbed wire. I hadn't said anything until today after finding everything snarled & grounded out last night, again. The guy asked me what fair compensation was and I told him take care of Jim first. He's the guy who owns the fence. I told him that if he wanted to have lunch sometime, that'd be fine. He's aware now so no excuses.         
« Last Edit: June 06/30/20, 08:44:24 AM by Dotch »

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
mornin all, good form you Dotch, they need to know those things for sure...  got close to an inch of rain yesterday and all nice and slow..  unlike many other ares where there is major flooding..   strange year again for rain..  68 here going for the upper 80's...  got a few things to do today, maybe start mowing the yards..  I do the folks next door too..  have a good day all!!

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Morning boys. 67 here going for 81 today. No rain here but may get some overnight and tomorrow. Maybe you need to use some steel I-beams for fence post. When they rip the boom off the sprayer they might pay more attention. Reminds me of a story my old neighbor told me. A friend of his had a snowplow driver that didn't like him and for 4 years in a row they would wipe out the guys mailbox. So the guy would go into the county and complain to the guys boss. The 4th he went in the and complained he warned them it better not happen again or they might not like the results. Well, low and behold down it goes again. So, the guys planted an 8" I-beam for a mailbox post. So, the next winter some how the plow driver managed to rip the wing right off of the snow plow. Needless to say no problem after that. Well, just another fine day in the salt mines. Have a good one boys.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Morning boys.  I worked for a local farmer here a few years ago.  Helped him haul grain to the elevator in his semi and spent a lot of time doing field work in his cool big John Deere with duals all around.  Also had the GPS steering.  I really enjoyed it.  When I got near the end of the row it would beep 3 times so you knew it was time to turn to the next row.  I could eat lunch and watch wildlife and listen to the radio.  It was great!  And yes my eyes did get heavy at times too.  LOL  His wife told me that once the beeps didn't wake her up and she went through a fence.  LOL  I told a different friend here that farms that if he got GPS steering I would help him.  Too much stress without it.  Well it gets dark here like it may rain but hasn't so far.  The car wash here in town doesn't work the best so I would like to let my truck sit out in the rain to loosen things up a bit.  Then hit the car wash.  Those bugs really get baked on.  Maybe I expect too much from the car wash.  Also hoping for a phone call from Ray's Marine for me to go pick up my boat.  The Minnkota is back ordered which i guess is common this year.  I can have fun without it for awhile.  I see storms kicking up today in the Ely area.  I hope Lee and his wife have a strong tent! 

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Mornin guys, 74* & with a dewpoint of 72* already & only gonna get worse. :pouty: They're sayin 88* for the high today, it took some time yday for it to heat up as I was out ~ 2:30 & it was still cloudy, damp, & only 75* then. There's a couple things on my list for today too, the biggest is a run to the dump. 'Bout it for today, hopin your Tuesday's a good 1.  :happy1: :cool:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Mornin' gang! 73 at choretime heading for a high in the upper 80's. Another .18" of precip in the ranch gauge & in Bugtussle over the past 24 hrs. Slightly above normal for the second month in a row after a drier start. Ya the technology in some of this equipment is amazing. It is pretty funny though to hear kids whine when the auto steer doesn't work or to see what happens when they have to back a load of hay in a shed. Afraid we've lost a lot of understanding about the fundamentals of the whole process and instead have focused too much on the whistles & bells. I've seen farmers sit on the end of fields for several hours waiting for their GPS signal to come back on when if they still had markers on the planter, they could still be planting. That can be some real expensive technology when it decides to rain for weeks straight.       

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Morning boys. 67 here going for 81 today. No rain here but may get some overnight and tomorrow. Maybe you need to use some steel I-beams for fence post. When they rip the boom off the sprayer they might pay more attention. Reminds me of a story my old neighbor told me. A friend of his had a snowplow driver that didn't like him and for 4 years in a row they would wipe out the guys mailbox. So the guy would go into the county and complain to the guys boss. The 4th he went in the and complained he warned them it better not happen again or they might not like the results. Well, low and behold down it goes again. So, the guys planted an 8" I-beam for a mailbox post. So, the next winter some how the plow driver managed to rip the wing right off of the snow plow. Needless to say no problem after that. Well, just another fine day in the salt mines. Have a good one boys.

Actually, if this really happened,  there would be a problem after that. Although it is tempting to put up an "indestructible" mailbox post, in Minnesota and most states it is illegal and for valid safety reasons. Putting others at risk to make a point is not too nice. It might be a friend, neighbor, or relative that lost control of their vehicle for one reason or other and hit that I-beam.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I too, have heard that too roony...  but it sure would be tempting to do... 

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman

Actually, if this really happened,  there would be a problem after that. Although it is tempting to put up an "indestructible" mailbox post, in Minnesota and most states it is illegal and for valid safety reasons. Putting others at risk to make a point is not too nice. It might be a friend, neighbor, or relative that lost control of their vehicle for one reason or other and hit that I-beam.
You are correct they went after him. Form what I was told by my old neighbor because it happened so many times and it was recorded that the judge ended up throwing the case out. Just what I was told. Take it for what it is. Made a good story either way.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I remember when you could use whatever you wanted.  Was a challenge to beat the snowplower who knocked your mailbox down.  Used to see railroad ties, pipes, etc.  Was fun to see different ideas.  THEN the safety issues finally kicked in and took the fun out of it.   :rotflmao:

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
The county ditch mower guy messed mine up soon after I put a new one in last summer so I understand the temptation.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
There was a guy west of town here who got sick of kids smashing his mailbox with baseball bats. They were just being little a-holes about it and the cops were unable to catch them. He welded a mailbox out of 1/4" plate steel and never had any trouble after that. It was out there for many years but the county finally made him take it down. It would've killed someone if it had gone thru a windshield. Can you imagine though one of those kids leaning out of a car window and connecting with that thing? Must've made their hands sting pretty good and if it didn't, probably broke their arm! Try explaining that one to Dad!  :embarrassed: :scratch: 

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
I wrapped the back end of my 77 cutlass around a stone/cement post in the neighborhood going sideways,  my fault for showing off but it seems the plow guys are more interested in garbage cans nowadays. They say on the website not to put in the street but people do anyway and pow... :crazy:  they still don't learn.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Cutlasses in that year class were the most stolen vehicle.  That was for a few years.  Nice cars. 

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
that car reminds me of my Monte Carlo and I think it was a 77 too!!  ex wife got that sucker..  cheep price to pay to get the heck out of that!!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1: :happy1:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Monte's were darn nice too.  Most cars can be replaced.  May not seem like it at the time though. 

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Monte's were darn nice too.  Most cars can be replaced.  May not seem like it at the time though.
All it takes is money... :wowza:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
mornin all, got some light rain at the moment..  good day for rain as I'm taking the bike in for a service at 9am.  oh well rain get ready!!  well I started the mowing yesterday hoping to get a decent start..  well I got it done and even had the trimmer going..  but I sure was wet from sweat!!  go figure..  a little cooler today, going for 83..  have a good day all!!

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Morning boys. 67 and raining here. Heading for upper 80s again today. We got a 1/2" of rain overnight. That will be good for the grass. I think there is a chance for off and on rain most of the day today. Boy it was sure a steamy one yesterday afternoon. I was wishing that we had AC in the house last night. Told the wife I would be willing to put in a mini split right in the bedroom and she said no. Central air only. Well, we have a slab on grade and no duct work. No AC I guess then. Well, just another day in the salt mines. Have a good one boys.