Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Good Morning!!!!!!  (Read 4904288 times)

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Mornin gang, 73* already & on it's way to 92*. Looked like they got some rain up at the lake yday ~ 2 & it looks like they're getting more now. :happy1: Nothin here yet but there looks to be a pretty good chance for some tomorrow. We're goin back up to Austin early today so I better roll. Hopin your Wednesday's a good 1.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Scenic

• Master Outdoorsman
Gmorn.  A nice 62 and it’s been raining since about 0430.  Been just a nice steady rain.  Good day to get paperwork done.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
well the rain seems to have stopped for the day maybe, talked to Jim, my friend down the road, and he had 2 inches about in his rain gauge!!!  there is one low spot in my yard that I have tiled..  didn't open the tile and yet it's going down fast...  that is how dry it is!!! 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
morning fellers..........holy hannah did that cloud bank when i left for work look scary. my phone lit up with 6 alerts. pretty dark here in Ramsey now too.

off to Hagar city today, gotta stop at Thorne brothers to get my ice rod fixed that broke this past winter.  :doah: :doah: :confused:

tommorrow a say trip to grand rapids.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Morning boys. Still dribbling a little bit here at Federal dam. Having some decaf while I wait for it to stop. Just the trees dribbling now. Going to have some cereal and then pack up and head home today. Otherwise just another day in paradise. Have a good one boys.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Morning boys. Still dribbling a little bit here at Federal dam. Having some decaf while I wait for it to stop. Just the trees dribbling now. Going to have some cereal and then pack up and head home today. Otherwise just another day in paradise. Have a good one boys.
safe travels JB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Mornin' gang! 75 at choretime heading for a high in the low 90's. Fat man warnings are out for the afternoon. Glad to hear some of you fellers got some needed rain. Looks like we're gonna get aced out of much for rainfall this time around. I'll fix that. I'll likely mow hay over the weekend. The heat has pushed it along so fast we've already got some blossoms on the alfalfa we baled 3 weeks ago. This time it's gonna be real haying too. Small squares, none of this pussy round bale stuff... :rotflmao:   
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Mornin' gang! 75 at choretime heading for a high in the low 90's. Fat man warnings are out for the afternoon. Glad to hear some of you fellers got some needed rain. Looks like we're gonna get aced out of much for rainfall this time around. I'll fix that. I'll likely mow hay over the weekend. The heat has pushed it along so fast we've already got some blossoms on the alfalfa we baled 3 weeks ago. This time it's gonna be real haying too. Small squares, none of this pussy round bale stuff... :rotflmao:

You gonna pick them up off the ground and throw them on the hayrack like a real farmer?   Those rectangular deals were fun.  Then run them up into the hayloft and stack them.   

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
WOW. I'm actually at a bar/ grill having a sit down burger and fries. :sleazy: the bluffs in Hagar city.

When I left Ramsey, my car said 71 degrees, pulled into the bluffs it said 88.  :shocked: radio said a heat index of 103 today. :crazy: :doofus: :pouty:
« Last Edit: July 07/08/20, 11:43:07 AM by glenn57 »

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
had a great burger at a bar in Malmo yesterday, Muggs I think the place is called... 

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman

You gonna pick them up off the ground and throw them on the hayrack like a real farmer?   Those rectangular deals were fun.  Then run them up into the hayloft and stack them.

:rotflmao:

I've spent many days on a hay rack over the years but we always had it hooked to the baler, stacking bales as they came out of the chute. Actually with the setup the neighbors have, the baler plops them on the ground on their side and they're picked up with a New Holland Stackliner. When their Dad could no longer do it, I graduated to old fart status & get to drive the baler. Ideally, you have a shed with 16' - 20' sidewalls so the stacking unit can tip up like in the video, resulting in bales that are already stacked for you. Alas, my pole barn has 12' sidewalls. Then the process becomes tip the unit up and let the bales fall in a heap outside in front of the overhead door. Each Stackliner the size the neighbors have holds ~65 bales. With no conveyor I pick them up and stack them in a 9 bale "pod" in the skidsteer bucket. I wheel them inside, set them down & come back to load another pod. Then I proceed to stack it once they're under cover to conserve space.  Typically I wind up handling each bale at least twice, sometimes three times when I throw them up on top of the stack as I go along. I rarely find anyone willing to help. As I've said many times before, the fastest way to get rid of someone is to mention you need help baling hay. Works every time!  :happy1: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSZNIlafTtI 
« Last Edit: July 07/08/20, 12:15:19 PM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :happy1: Seen quite a few of those around over the years but that's the 1st time I seen how they actually work. :cool: Looks like it'd be a big help if it's used properly.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Very fun video!  I used to help farmers bale for extra money in the summers.  The smell of hay almost made me start sweating for many years even after I wasn't doing it anymore. 

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
nice set up, only did by hand when I did it, yuck!!!  but got it done!!! 

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
I use to like baling straw.  :mooning:

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
My uncle farmed up east of Ladysmith.   Not greatest farm country... but that is where Grandpa settled.   

We always went up to help with haying.  When I was a little kid, it was horses and loose hay with one of those loader thinks to pick up the windrow and dump it on the hay rack, and a fork pulled by a horse to get it into the haymow.   He had about 30 or so Holsteins.   

Then he moved up to a tractor and a baler that had its own engine.    Learned a lot of new words from uncle when baling.    Sometimes they would hook a hayrack on behind but usually drop the bales on the ground and pick them up later.   

Used the fork to dump into hayloft and kids to stack.   Then got bale elevator...  Still kids stacking.   

Don't miss it too much.   

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I actually didn't mind baling straw roony. It was almost fun compared to some of the places where we'd bale hay. We'd bale at a friend of mine's where they had an Oliver 620 baler with hydraulic tension. It typically made 70 - 80 lb bales when his grandpa would crank the tension down. The nice thing was we stacked in an open shed, just poles and a roof. The bales were uniform and stacked really nice too. A crew of five of us did 1500 bales one afternoon when the high temp reached 105. I just laid in the lawn when I got home I was so pooed.

The worst places were some of the dairy barns where the hay was put up wet. It would heat adding to the heat from outside. Some of those places were dangerous & the operators kinda reckless. One time I was in the hay mow and the guy started the elevator, one of those also used to move grain. His little kid ~four years old years old must've climbed into the thing while his Dad was trying dislodge some bales in the thrower wagon. The elevator was squealing loudly as they typically did & with the tractor running down below I couldn't hear much back where I was stacking. I suddenly heard screaming once the kid made it through the barn door still being moved along by the paddles in the elevator. I ran up there as fast as I could and managed to grab him by his bib overalls just before he went over the end of the elevator. It had a grain spout on it so if he'd gone over, it would've messed him up real good, possibly killed him. The paddles had pinched the kid's fingers on his ascent into the barn but otherwise he was OK. His Dad acted like it was no big deal as though nothing had happened. There were other things too. I finished the day but swore I'd never go back there again. Not too long afterwards that barn burned due to the wet hay and saved me the bother.  :huh: 

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
I meant it when I said I liked baling straw. It was so easy, we had a new Holland baler,  the one where you see the plunger go up and down. It made huge bales.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
darn lucky kid Dotch!!  good for you :happy1:

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Lots of careless things use to happen on the farm. For the most part things are safer now, lots of accidents with the big grain bins though.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Morning fellers. Toad trip to grand rapids this morning to rally the ASV troups before we start negotiations. :happy1:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Morning boys.  PTO shafts were very dangerous too.  People stepped over them and that was before the days of guards on them.  Good luck with the toad hunting Glenn.  Don't lick them though.  We had some lightning and thunder early this morning but only got a little shot of rain from it.  That is better than all of the damage in Ottertail County.  I feel for the people affected by it.  I went through one heck of a storm when I lived there about 15 years ago.  The settlement from so much damage is what I moved up here with.  Hope our brothers near those area are ok as well as everyone else. 

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Mornin all, have fun on your "toad" trip Glenn!!!  I know fat fingers!!!   :rotflmao:  it was most diffidently warm yesterday..  but did get a few things done.  I see I have branches on the ground this mornin too..  we did end up with 2.3 inches of rain yesterday..  and we needed it too..  now we will see when the next rains come..  have a good day all!!!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
yea that weather in Otter Tail Cty is only about 50 miles or so from me..  in fact the way it sounds  most of the bad weather was that close to us from the west and north.  nasty stuff for sure...

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Yikes. Wicked video Mike. Morning boys. 68 here this morning and no thunder or rain here. Must have all stayed down by LPS. Good thing too since we had all the windows open overnight. We made it home about 3:30 yesterday afternoon. Did the unpacking, ate some supper and had a fire down on the dock. Just going to be a go with the flow kind of day today. See what the grandkids want to do. Have a good one boys.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
That looked like the house where the car was dumped down on it.  I think the people got hurt there too. 

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Mornin' gang! 75 at choretime heading for a high in the mid-70's. Rain hanging off just to the west of us on a diagonal down to about Blue Earth. Cool video Mikey. No tornaders here yet. Cell phone took a dump on me yesterday afternoon so spent 3 hours last nite getting that rectified. Old one just died or so I thought. So did the tech person at the store. Nothing on the screen & none of the buttons worked. Most of the data & info transferred but not all. Got the new one home and decided I'd dink with the old one. Plugged it into the computer USB port to see if I could recover anything. All the sudden the screen lights up & says it's charging. This a.m. looked like everything on it worked again. Hmmm...probably play with the phone tonite & see if we can get more of the stuff to transfer. Technology is great, when it works. When it doesn't, well... :angry:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
just seen this on you tube..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4ut5ltVQD8
hey you dingleberry, if you can post youtube crap you can post pictures too. :tut: :pouty: training-087 :banghead:

Then you can show me how. :confused: :cheerleader: :banghead: :taz:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
all I did was copy and paste the IP address ya ding dong!!!  any one can do that...  I have no idea how it changed so the video itself came on there!!  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1: 

how's the toad run going???   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: