Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Duck boat  (Read 1580 times)

Offline Moon Lake Refuge

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Hey all,
I have an old fishing boat that was passed down to me that I'm converting to a duck boat.  Wanted to see what others have seen/done.  So far we have only shot from shore.  Boat has a 9.9 johnson and a little kota trolling motor.  Thinking about taking the johnson off as we will usually just be hunting smaller ponds in the Alexandria area.  Was going to paint tan inside and out and do a grass blend on the sides.  What else should I be looking for?  Its a little v-hull boat so not super stable but I was almost thinking about trying to mount a bracket or two on either side and fixing some dock poles I could slide down and tighten with a thumb screw for stability?  Any input would be great!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
How long a boat? Mines is only a 12 footer, so I took the front bench out so I  had room for all the decoys.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Moon Lake Refuge

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
12-13 foot.  Looking like two people but may have a third at some times so I would like to keep the seat.  If we do three it will just be for the ride out and 1-2 of us will stand in waders.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Most of the time, its the boy and when we go. But I have a lot of deeks. You can always float them behind if you don't have enough room.
I never really done anything special to it after that. I always just grabbed a bail of hay out'a the barn to use for cover up.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey all,
I have an old fishing boat that was passed down to me that I'm converting to a duck boat.  Wanted to see what others have seen/done.  So far we have only shot from shore.  Boat has a 9.9 johnson and a little kota trolling motor.  Thinking about taking the johnson off as we will usually just be hunting smaller ponds in the Alexandria area.  Was going to paint tan inside and out and do a grass blend on the sides.  What else should I be looking for?  Its a little v-hull boat so not super stable but I was almost thinking about trying to mount a bracket or two on either side and fixing some dock poles I could slide down and tighten with a thumb screw for stability?  Any input would be great!
Maybe we can put our heads together? I have a 15ft narrow lund with the split 2nd seat I plan on turning into a duck boat to sell.
 One thing I can say the interior will be blue gray with brown spots!! I had a uncle who owned some airplanes and he always pointed out what a slew looks like from 100 ft to 1000 ft up,it was always the reflection fo the sky,Boats with brown even cut reeds were stand outs just blobs!!
 Since 2000 I have rebuilt maybe 15-20 boats and have a bit a experience +all the rivit tools for blind and solid rivets.The side stablizers you mention are something I have thought about and will install! What materials is my problem I cant weld aluminum and want to keep it light as possible, Maybe some PVC?? I wont even start till summers end to much to catch up on around home!! Heck my fishin boats arent even ready and both need motor work!!!
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Offline Moon Lake Refuge

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Maybe we can put our heads together? I have a 15ft narrow lund with the split 2nd seat I plan on turning into a duck boat to sell.
 One thing I can say the interior will be blue gray with brown spots!! I had a uncle who owned some airplanes and he always pointed out what a slew looks like from 100 ft to 1000 ft up,it was always the reflection fo the sky,Boats with brown even cut reeds were stand outs just blobs!!
 Since 2000 I have rebuilt maybe 15-20 boats and have a bit a experience +all the rivit tools for blind and solid rivets.The side stablizers you mention are something I have thought about and will install! What materials is my problem I cant weld aluminum and want to keep it light as possible, Maybe some PVC?? I wont even start till summers end to much to catch up on around home!! Heck my fishin boats arent even ready and both need motor work!!!

Yeah, my dad and I built(most) of an airplane so rivet work wont be a problem.  We're looking into an aluminum welder but its not likely.  I was looking into just C-Clamps on either side of a dock bracket to slide a tube through.  I'm not worried on weight as I'll be towing it out but like the idea of clamping them on so I can take them on and off as needed.