Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Minnesota River READ  (Read 3096 times)

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
 Favorite river to fish near my home. I love to spend a few days at a time to overnight flathead catfish!! Never a slow time on the river so many species!!

http://tomcherveny.areavoices.com/2016/04/26/from-eels-to-paddlefish-to-walleyes-and-cats-minnesota-river-home-to-over-70-fish-species/
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
flaties, now thatd be fun. gots channels up here, no flatties.
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Very interesting. A positive piece on the MN River when routinely what we hear is what rough shape it's in. And quoting someone from the DNR no less...hmmmm :scratch: Not that there aren't things that can be done to improve the health of the river but that's certainly a refreshing perspective for a change.  :happy1:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline corny13

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 ROCKBASS CHAMPION 2014
Good article when I was a kid fishing on the Red near Grand Forks I caught a American eel.  Had to have come up the Minnesota thru lake traverse in a flood year.

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
Very interesting. A positive piece on the MN River when routinely what we hear is what rough shape it's in. And quoting someone from the DNR no less...hmmmm :scratch: Not that there aren't things that can be done to improve the health of the river but that's certainly a refreshing perspective for a change.  :happy1:
Its in the process of getting cleaned up! There are a number of groups who work with farmers to desilt the waters,Septic clean ups by upgrading them,Tributary creek groups who joined to clean the small creeks! Its great! Its been said the river valley is the boundary waters of the south, 90% totally wild river bottoms from (where I roam) Granitefalls to Franklin in a kayak,canoe and even a 14 ft lund 15 hp motor Lose a prop now an then!! The Minnesota dam south or down river from Granitefalls was removed. Beatuiful area!! Great fishin,Huntin just a fine outdoor experience!!

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
Good article when I was a kid fishing on the Red near Grand Forks I caught a American eel.  Had to have come up the Minnesota thru lake traverse in a flood year.
Got a few while fishin for sheepsheads for cut bait.Also caught a ugly 16 inch??I looked it up once, some kind of a salamander, mudpuppy?? Got a pic somewhere. That sucker spooked me! Didnt want to touch it cause i had never seem one.Found out they are harmless but I didnt know that!!
 Think I even experienced BIGFOOT!!!

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2016 Mno rockbass challenge champion
I love fishing the river. Was just carp fishing the Minnesota last weekend with a big jig to keep it on the bottom and a worm and caught a 8lb flathead. Also lost another cat, looked like a flathead to just by the tail. Was over 20lbs for sure. You never know what's on the end of your line because no matter the bait you have something other then what you're targeting will take it.

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
What part a the river were ya fishin Cody??
 Know where Skalbanken park is? That was the best fishin accordin to me.Then a flood washed out the banks and changed the course a the river.I still stick to Franklin area or Skalbakin.Had a friend fishin with me an the ole girl who got a 48lber.BUT I just cant  get over 35 lbs on the flats!! Someday hey?
 We aint been down there since spring a 2013 eye fishin.
 We're goin to montiviedo after opener below the dam for eyes an channels.Got some busisness in monti so we'll make the best of the trip!
 Always carry the recurve with a fish arrow down there fer dem carps!! Smoked their great!
« Last Edit: May 05/11/16, 04:37:02 PM by dew2 »

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2016 Mno rockbass challenge champion
In the metro. I live about a block from the Minnesota. Want to get out to some remote areas away from the cities this summer. My biggest is 22lbs so I haven't caught any of the pigs yet, had a few on but the stars didn't align an wasn't meant to be those days I guess. Biggest blue came from then mn river towards Jordan and that was 26lbs.

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
that would be cool!!!!!!! back in my younger days we canoed the sauk river. pretty much think I did the  whole river, most of it anyway. the canoe hasn't hit the water in several years. thinking I may sell it. only draw back is I bought it with my graduation money!!!!!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
did start the sauk at it's head waters?
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!