Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: John Deere LX 176 stopped running  (Read 3253 times)

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 MNO Fishing Challenge Champion
    • Advanced Tackle Innovations
  I inherited a John Deer lawn tractor with the purchase of my new house.  I was cutting the grass yesterday and after about an hour the tractor quit.  Just like it would do if it was out of gas.  I checked the gas and that was not it.  It wouldn't start again.  I checked the air cleaner and it was filthy.   I removed the outer layer and washed it and tapped out the paper filter.  The problem was the cover was slightly askew and leaves and dust were in the air cleaner compartment.  I could see some small particles down in the throat past the filter.  I vacuumed out the compartment and replaced the filter and the engine would still not run.  Am I going to have to pull the carburetor?  My lawn is in bad shape and extremely dry and dusty.   I know I should have checked that filter before I tried to use the tractor but I was pressed for time.  Now I am stuck.  Any advice would be appreciated.
Pai Mei tells the Godfather when it's time to tell Wayne  to pimp slap Eastwood.

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
 How about a fuel filter? I,d check the main 2 things that makes a engine run Fuel.Spark, compression in yer case can be passed.
 If those are OK start looking at safety switches.
 Do you have a manual? Those safety switches are a pain at times,One on the seat,One on the blade engagement,maybe one on a clutch/break Thats where the manual comes in handy just locating the kill switches
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
  I do have the manual and I have read it.  The safety switch I know of is under the seat.  In the troubleshooting the engine not starting, running rough, all lead to dirty air cleaner.  I looked at the fuel filter and it was clear but they recommend changing them every year.  I have no idea if that's ever been done.    There is no fuel getting to the carb as there is no firing at all.   Can a spark plug foul out while your are running the motor?   I have a John deere dealer not far away so I will swing by and get a new fuel filter and air cleaner filter.  I will look into the kill switches too.   Thanks Dew.
Pai Mei tells the Godfather when it's time to tell Wayne  to pimp slap Eastwood.

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
 A easy test to see iif its no fuel is to pull the plug or plugs,Put fuel right in the cylinder through the plug hole stick the plug back in an fire it. If it fires an runs for a short time then kills then yes a fuel problem.

EDIT>>> If the upkeep is as bad as you say,I would replace plugs,fuel and air filters along with oil. You sure it has spark? And when you say no fuel to carb you must mean you think the cylinder is not getting fuel?Right.
 Killing like you said just mowin and it stopped may lead to the CDI/electronic ignition?
« Last Edit: May 05/23/16, 10:35:08 AM by dew2 »
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Had a problem on my Agco Allis once that sounds similar to that. Would die when mowing then not start for several hours then die when mowing again the next time. Someone had stuck a fuel filter on it that was likely too fine and definitely not the Briggs filter it should've had. Along with that it had a lot of insects on the bottom of the gas tank. Knowing the previous owner likely from him just pumping gas from a farm barrel without screening the fuel after it left the nozzle. Cleaned the tank out. Still died on me. Changed the filter. Still died on me. Replaced the fuel pump. Success! Has run well ever since.
« Last Edit: May 05/23/16, 01:42:45 PM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
I would get it running and trade it in on anything besides a John Deere.  I'm guessing it has a 14hp Kawi which you might get a little value for.  Maybe if you trade that and the Mercury at the same time you could upgrade to a YardMachine from Menards.   ;)
« Last Edit: May 05/23/16, 03:47:22 PM by The General »
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline MN RACK ATTACK

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
You might want to take a look at the bottom of the carb and see if you have an electric auto fuel shut off solenoid. they just up and go bad and your carb gets no fuel. if that's it, ive seen people cut off the plunger or replace the whole unit. almost always the design changes from the oem.
2020 Big Buck Slayer

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
  Thanks for the tips guys.  I blew a little compressed air in the air cleaner housing and put a couple teaspoons on gas in the throat and it popped right off.  I let it run for a little while but didn't try cutting with it because of the rain.  I will see what happens tonight.  The yard is so sandy and dry right now I will need to be checking that air cleaner a lot.   :happy1: