Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: How to Avoid a Poison Ivy Rash  (Read 6082 times)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
This is all well and good and may be very effective in preventing a outbreak, however, the one thing missing is how to know if you have the oil on you?  Most people don't know they have been in contact with it prior to an outbreak.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline leechlake

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
good post and video.  We have it lousy on one side of our lot at cabin.  The dogs are in it frequently doing their business.  What's goofy is that the brand name stuff I get at drug store claims it works on poison ivy itself on directions which it does not.  You gotta get that urisol oil off of you with that stuff or dawn and some elbow grease.  Once you got that rash your in trouble depending on your level of allergy to it. 

I'd suggest every few hours your wife or girlfriend should take you in shower and use the dawn soap on you.  Very effective although personally I've never been offered this  :happy1:
Two Buck Chuck 2016.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
I use to get poison ivy soooooooo bad. I think I can spot that crap miles away and avoid it like the plague. been pretty fortunate lately. as I kid my parents took me to the doc to get a shot for it!!!!!!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Generally not affected too much.  There are a few patches on my land.  A number of years ago I used a machete of clear access to a bear blind.  I was wearing tennis shoes and shorts.  Not paying attention, I cut through a patch of ivy.  Yes, I did have a good case on my ankles. 

***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
My life got much easier since I found the Technu stuff.  It works great.  There is a scrub that I rub on my arms whenever I think I may have an itch coming or was in suspicious weeds.  Or when the dogs are in it.  Then I wash it off and I am good.  They also have the gel stuff you just rub on and leave it on.  Also works great.  Even if I am getting a rash already I rub the stuff on and then rinse with cold water later or just leave it on.  Takes the itch out and I can sleep much better.  Oak and Ivy is the brand name I think.   

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Had that stuff a few times poisen oak as well,one day while I was shooting carp along a small stream bumped into an old timer fishing,he noticed the tell tale signs of ivy rash on my arms,told me to use rubbing alcohol everytime coming out of the woods,said you have a few hours before the ivy oil takes hold,he said to spray down your cloths as well with the alcohol,have'nt had a bout since.

Also read if folks burn a patch of ivy the smoke can cause respiratory isses as well,nasty stuff.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
When I worked for the city of Mahtomedi I was working on a fire hydrant.  It was green lush all around it.  Well I am on my hands and knees and this guy says to me  "hey that's poison ivy all around you".  LOL  Dumb azz me!  I got up and instantly took the gas can with mixed gas/oil and doused my arms with it.  It wasn't fun neither.  Then I headed to the shop and washed the gas/oil off with lots of soap.  I never got a bit of ivy blister.  Got it off in time.  I have had it many times over the years but seems like not as much lately.  I read that your resistance to it can go up and down over time.  I try to spray it with Roundup when I see it here on the place.

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman

It's interesting to me that out of the 45+ years that I have spent in the wood at all times of the year I have only gotten it on my hands a few times clearing places to sit by trees Turkey or bow hunting.

I walk in the woods a lot in boots and shorts when Bear baiting, cutting wood, looking for mushrooms and have never got it on my legs or it never bothered them?  :confused:

Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
wowzer LPS musta been really bored!!!!! :confused: :scratch: :rotflmao: dug up a 3 year old thread!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

back in my younger years...…….I"d just think of poison ivy i'd get it...…………...and I mean latterly all over. I remember twice going to da hospital. I started getting shots for prevention back then. I can spot that crap 3 miles away and avoid it like the plague, however I don't get it like I used to.

matter of fact I don't remember the last time I had it......but dats a good ting!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
I didn't hardly even know what it looked like. But after we moved up here in 2007 Both the wife and I started getting it. I do like Barry. Try and hit it with the roundup when I see it.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I must be lucky because I don't recall ever getting a poison ivy rash.  I don't really look to avoid it, so maybe I'm not very allergic.  Stinging nettle and other itch weeds...? Youch!  Juniper and spruce?  Not good either.