Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Volunteers needed!  (Read 4806 times)

Offline gophergunner

• Master Outdoorsman
A good friend of mine is in charge of the Youth Outdoors Activity Day held in Alexandria every year. (Check out their Facebook page, or their web address)  This is an annual event held to expose kids to the out of doors.  It's coming up-the date of the event is August 28th.  I have volunteered the last couple years, and just had a ball.  The kids get to attend this totally free of charge, including a free lunch.  They will get a gift bag with lots of handouts, and there will be lots of prize drawings for fishing poles, bb guns, etc.
The kids get to walk around and learn all kinds of stuff from fun activities centered around the great out of doors.  They will have a chance to shoot muzzleloaders, bb guns, throw a tomahawk, learn about duck calling and hunting, fishing, talk to a game warden, geocaching and GPS usage, ride ATV's and much much more.  The program is very popular, and growing every year.  They expect over 2,000 kids this year.  Many volunteers are needed to pull this off, and your help would be greatly appreciated. 

We always talk about what we can and should do to give back to the out of doors, and our youth.  Here's your chance.  Go to the Facebook page, the web site, or contact me here to get put in touch with the right people.  The event is Sunday August 28th, and we need to be there by 10 a.m.  The event starts at 11.  If you can go, get in touch, as they need to know how many volunteers to count on, and how many shirts they need to order and heads they need to feed.

Look forward to seeing you there.  Besure to stop by the muzzleloader shooting exhibiton.  I'll be loading rifles for the instructor.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Sounds fun.  I believe it's held at the Shooting Range where the State High School clay target meet is held.  While working that event, I talked to a guy about this Youth event.  Sounds like it's been growing big time.  Sounds like something the local MDHA Chapter would be interested in.  gophergunner, shoot me a PM if they are not involved and I can give you some contact information.
« Last Edit: August 08/15/16, 08:24:58 AM by deadeye »
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline markn

• Master Outdoorsman
deadeye, the Alex Chapter MDHA will be there doing the mock blood trail. We had a ball last year there and are looking forward to doing it again. About half of the trap shooting instructors that will be helping out are also members. We have had kids from 50 and 60 miles away come to this event the past two years. It's a great time and a great thing to do for kids.

Anyone passing by or looking for something to do on the 28th stop by. The Alex Shooting Park is just South of I-94 on Hwy. 29, take Co. Rd. 87 East a mile and you're there.

markn
mm

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
markn, way cool there and thanks for the general invite I know this will be a fun event for all. 
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline gophergunner

• Master Outdoorsman
We really need help guys.  2 weeks notice here.  Can you clear one day from your calendars and give us a hand?  It's totally for the kids, but you will get way more out of this than you will give.  It shows in the faces of the kids. 

These kids are the future of our sport.  We need to get them interested NOW.  Here's our chance guys.  Please come join us.

Offline gophergunner

• Master Outdoorsman
My wife's friend will be driving in from Brookings with her kids for the event.  Great to see kids coming in from other areas, as they will tell their friends and hopefully get them "hooked" as well.

Offline gophergunner

• Master Outdoorsman
80 views, but no one interested in helping.  What a shame.  I've run this on 24 Hour Campfire too and gotten similar responses.  These kids need our help guys.  Can't anyone give up ONE DAY to help some kids, and help our hunting and fishing heritage continue?  Come on guys.....

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Sounds like a great event!  :happy1:
But, it would be pretty neer impossible for me to volunteer that particular day.  :sorry:
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline gophergunner

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks for at least considering it.  Apparently Sunday's are tough for everyone. Wouldn't be the first time I missed church, and I'm sure it won't be the last.

Offline gophergunner

• Master Outdoorsman
Disappointing that not a single member here is willing to help out.  Our sport's in a bad way when we aren't willing to give up one afternoon for these kids.  To put it quite bluntly, this is disgusting guys. 

Online Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
hmmmm ya know theres no need for that. peoples lives are extreamly busy, and pretty much planned out the entire summer, if anyone was actually sitting around wishin for something to do I'm sure theyd help, I would help. but I'm so locked in with whats emcompasing my life and my familys, I cant get away. My wife works every 3rd weekend after a 40 hr aweek regular job, I work for an agronomy center were I 45-50 hrs a week and getting busier with fall fertilizer spreading, Ive two weddings back to back starting the first weekend in September, my mom is in the middle of radiation treatment for lung cancer, pluse all the little family things that pop up with two young adults at home, and on a selfish note, I'm in the middle of bear baiting. Ive no need to explain my lifes schedual to you, but I do apologize of how digusting it is to you. I'll try and clean it up for you and other peoples kids from parents that are sending their kids to this event but aren't volunteering either. sorry I cant help.
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm with you Boar.  Between family, work, and things needing done at home I don't have time to do that much volunteering neither.  I wish I had more time to do more.  I do the Take A Kid Fishing thing every year and donate to many organizations.  That is all I can do.  Sorry!!!  Now I have a long list of things I need to get done so see ya all later.

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
Disappointing that not a single member here is willing to help out.  Our sport's in a bad way when we aren't willing to give up one afternoon for these kids.  To put it quite bluntly, this is disgusting guys.
Not commin down on you at all here but a 13 day notice this time of year is short.I'm 50 miles from alex and would have been happy to show,But we always have weekend plans made in advance.Now if a months notice was given I would have made time for a day.
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Offline gophergunner

• Master Outdoorsman
This event has been planned since last year.  It's been announced in many formats.  Yes, my notice was a bit short, but I find it hard to believe that everyone had their summer totally planned out.  That being said, here's my challenge to all you guys.  Plan on this next year.  I'll keep you posted here, but it's time to pony up and help the kids.  How many out here are taking a kid hunting this fall?  I mean a kid who's not your son.  Maybe the kid down the street who doesn't have a dad to show him the ropes.  Maybe your son's buddy who always perks up when they talk about what they're doing next weekend?  These kids are the future of our sport, and we can make excuses all day long, but when the rubber hits the road, it's upon us to make a differnce, not an excuse.

Offline gophergunner

• Master Outdoorsman
The Youth Outdoors Activity Event Day was yesterday up in Alexandria.  My wife and I were a little concerned about the weather as we drove through lots of rain heading up there yesterday morning.  It cleared up nicely when we got past St. Cloud on 94.  The day was actually very nice weather-wise.  The final tally was 1800 very happy, satisfied kids through the gates.  A great time was had by all.  I worked the muzzleloader shoot.  I loaded guns for the demonstrators all day, and my wife played traffic cop handing out safety glasses and ear muffs, and feeding kids up to the demonstrators.  Flintlocks and black powder are dirty to work with all day like this.  I'm still scrubbing black powder residue off my hands this morning.  We had two demonstrators , 4 loaders, a repair guy who we kept busy knapping flints all day, and my wife at the end of the line guiding the kids up to the shooting stations.  it got a little tough loading the guns as they got dirty, but we did a pretty good job of keeping up with the kids.  I don't think we ever had more than about 7 kids waiting to shoot.  I talked to the organizer and he said we were a little short on help up by the regristration area.  I never heard a complaint from anyone.  It's great to see the looks on a kid's face when they fire up one of these old front stuffers.  We had all smoothbores-everything from a beautiful little 28 gauge single shot to 75 caliber smoothbore muskets.

A great time was had by all.

Offline gophergunner

• Master Outdoorsman
Okay guys, so here' s your first announcement for next year.  It will take place on Sunday, August 27th, and we need a lot more volunteers.  We had 1800 kids show up yesterday, and I wouldn't be surprised if we have over 2,400 next year.  Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Online Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
my lifes details are not an excuse! but you seem to thinks so. So once again here I am. giving upmy lifes detail just so you back off or try and get the picture. Shooting sports is something you volunteer for. So do I, I help run the the shooting sports 4H program in my county every wensday throught the summer and fall we take a wensday evening and go down to the shooting range and work with 4H kids less fortunate, we bring bows, shot guns, ML, cross bows, bb guns, 22's vertical bows and traditional. and for 2 hours we work with the kids. Then when Ice season hits, I help coordinate a pancake feed to help raise money for equipment to use for ice fishing. 1 weekend out the winter I volunteer my time to to put kids and their parent on ice, show them how to use an auger, set lines, set a tip up, saftery measures, ice thickness, weve had DNR fisheries stop by and give presentations ect ect ect. this is the sport I love and where I choose to give back. yhese kids are our future in this sport also, is that enough for you. LPS has stated his area of giving back, and there are others here alos that give back in the selected are that they feel appropriate. this is really not a direction I feell I want to go on this forum, DONT call my lifes details they you've know understanding of an excuse!
78.50"

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
That's ok boar, we all seem to volunteer in one form of another for kids. I help with gun training EVERY spring, run & help with the turkey clinics put on by the DNR and also take a kid that is handicapped on a deer hunt every year.....to much to list.....do I  yank my own chain.....nope....

I know DE volunteers alot of his time with the MDHA....

Now, that I  know ahead of time about this event, I will try and work it in. Not promissing anything....but will try.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
my lifes details are not an excuse! but you seem to thinks so. So once again here I am. giving upmy lifes detail just so you back off or try and get the picture. Shooting sports is something you volunteer for. So do I, I help run the the shooting sports 4H program in my county every wensday throught the summer and fall we take a wensday evening and go down to the shooting range and work with 4H kids less fortunate, we bring bows, shot guns, ML, cross bows, bb guns, 22's vertical bows and traditional. and for 2 hours we work with the kids. Then when Ice season hits, I help coordinate a pancake feed to help raise money for equipment to use for ice fishing. 1 weekend out the winter I volunteer my time to to put kids and their parent on ice, show them how to use an auger, set lines, set a tip up, saftery measures, ice thickness, weve had DNR fisheries stop by and give presentations ect ect ect. this is the sport I love and where I choose to give back. yhese kids are our future in this sport also, is that enough for you. LPS has stated his area of giving back, and there are others here alos that give back in the selected are that they feel appropriate. this is really not a direction I feell I want to go on this forum, DONT call my lifes details they you've know understanding of an excuse!
boar can I come?I am a kid at heart an wanna try a vertical bow,Whatever that is can I just show up on wensday or maybe early on tusday :scratch: :doah: :bonk: :happy1: :happy1: ;)

PS if yer makin pancakes I'll skip that!!!!!!
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Offline gophergunner

• Master Outdoorsman
Guys, all I said was I'd keep you posted about next year.  That's all I'm doing. That all I'll continue to do.  I'll revisit this in a month or so if there's anything to update you on. Sorry if I offended anyone.  Wasn't really my intent.  Those who volunteer in other ways-good for you. 

Offline gophergunner

• Master Outdoorsman
Boar-I have time for more volunteer activities.  Why don't you let me know when I could join you in one of your efforts?  I'd be happy to help in any way possible.  Let me know.

Online Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
got it coverd, if you have that much time on your hands to drive 6 hours north to volunteer, I would assume you have time to organize the help you need more locally. Good luck
78.50"

Offline gophergunner

• Master Outdoorsman
Well the offer stands if you change your mind.  l