Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: What's on the stove, oven, or crockpot today?  (Read 1488967 times)

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
That's a one person meal coffee?? Don't think I could manage that,  but sure does  look tasty.  Them nortens look mint Lps,  I'm trying to catch some but all I can catch lately are friggen sheepshead....wanna trade? :happy1:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
LPS, you put wine in your recipe?
That sounds great!
lit of reciepies fir pickled fish call for wine. Not sure why. :scratch: the one I currently use doesn't.

Oh and HD, IT probably won't be your home brew wine!! :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
That's your choice in the store for commercial herring, too....in wine sauce or sour cream.

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya those pickled pike are one of my favorite's.  I also use wine.  Since Silver Satin no longer exists I was going to go with Thunderbird but went to a little higher quality wine.  good luck.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I'll bet Del will pop in and advise ya on a nice, clean white wine to stick yer fish in, RH.  ;) :rotflmao:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
My Grandma used to make it using Silver Satin as most people did.

As Del told us:  Always freeze northerns for a few days to kill the worms that they may have before pickling.  I left mine in the freezer for a couple of weeks.

1. Mix 1/2 cup salt to each qt. of water.  Cut fish in chunks and soak for 24 hours in this brine.  Then drain brine off.

2. Cover fish with white vinegar for another overnight soak. Do this for 12 - 24 hours.  Then drain this brine off.

3. Final brine: 4 cups white vinegar, 3 cups sugar, 1/4 cup pickling spices.  Heat this up to hot but don't boil.  Let this cool.

4. I used pint wide mouth canning jars.  Layer onion - fish - onion - fish etc to fill the jars ending with onion on top.

5. When brine has cooled add 1 cup White Port wine to the brine.  Pour this over the fish in the jars so it is completely covered.  Put in frig.  Shake every day for about a week.  The fish should now be ready.   

I did my final brine X 1.5 to cover the amount of fish that I used.  I had 3 Northerns that were about 3 lbs. ea. 
« Last Edit: July 07/04/17, 04:35:25 PM by HD »

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
HD can you fix my last post.  In the final brine it should say 4 cups vinegar then 3 cups sugar..  Darn 

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Thanks for the recipe! I'll have to try it!
Mine isn't a cream sauce, it just sugar, vinegar and Mcormicks pickling spice.

I will will have to fix it later LPS... I'm on my phone right now, and I'm out in the barn.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
HD can you fix my last post.  In the final brine it should say 4 cups vinegar then 3 cups sugar..  Darn

Hit modify and go back to change it....:scratch:

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
I guess I should pickle some of those Vermilion pike since the slot requires everything over 24 to be released.   

Should have kept the 23.5 I got this afternoon...

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Hit modify and go back to change it....:scratch:

Thanks I didn't realize we could do that. 

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey LPS I did the same thing when I first started I am learning as I go!!!!!!
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
LPS, that recipe is pretty close to mine.  Never fails.  I keep the pickled pike in the jars for a week before eating.  good luck.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I am not sure how long the pickled fish keep in the frig.  2 or 3 months I would think.  Maybe more.  Anyone have the answer to that.  Won't last that long anyhow but would like to know. 

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
had some longer than that, they were good.  I'm not saying let them go that long at all as normally that would not happen here!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I am not sure how long the pickled fish keep in the frig.  2 or 3 months I would think.  Maybe more.  Anyone have the answer to that.  Won't last that long anyhow but would like to know. 

USDA says six weeks...my jar I bought in January says use my August 1st. Home-made I'd guess 2 months is fine.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

USDA says six weeks...my jar I bought in January says use my August 1st. Home-made I'd guess 2 months is fine.

did 26 years with the USDA, bah hum bug on them for some things.. in other words they cry wolf........     I see the blue guy better look out his window to the south west, he could get some nasty weather!!!  good luck little buddy!!

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Well the official government answer is 4 to 6 weeks for homemade pickled fish.  Commercial pickled can last longer.  Mine don't last that long to worry about it.  Make enough so you can eat it in that time range.  Sure it will last longer but on the safe side stick to this time frame in my opinion.  Being in this buisness for many years I stick to the safe side and have seen how long stuff lasts.  good luck.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
my fish might last 2 months. never usually have to worry about it. hard to imagine it going bad when its been in a pickling salt brine and now vinegar!!!!!!!!!!! hard to image though LPS how little time your reciepe says to leave your fish in the alt brine. mines 5 days, then when its in the pickling solution another 5 days where I shake and mix it. then I let it set a week before I try it!!!!!!

yea mike i'm keeping an eyeball on it. sure would welcome some rain!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

yea mike i'm keeping an eyeball on it. sure would welcome some rain!!!!!!!!

Run thru yer smurf sprinkler!!  :rotflmao:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Well the official government answer is 4 to 6 weeks for homemade pickled fish.  Commercial pickled can last longer.  Mine don't last that long to worry about it.  Make enough so you can eat it in that time range.  Sure it will last longer but on the safe side stick to this time frame in my opinion.  Being in this buisness for many years I stick to the safe side and have seen how long stuff lasts.  good luck.

RH I agree on the safe side all the way but some times common sense has to work to is all I'm saying  and I think we all under stand that side of it.. 

the dating thing is from another part of the agency that we did not deal with I might add....
« Last Edit: July 07/04/17, 07:34:07 PM by mike89 »

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Yup you are all right.  Better safe than sorry.  The dating thing is for corps to make more money by making people throw out good food prematurely and buy more in the name of safety. 

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Yup you are all right.  Better safe than sorry.  The dating thing is for corps to make more money by making people throw out good food prematurely and buy more in the name of safety.

well said!!! :happy1:

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya that dating thing.  You would be surprised how long even fresh meat lasts in the cryo vac packs it comes in.  You would be surprised what get's thrown away every day at the grocery stores.  Perfectly good food.  Can't sell it past the experation date.  Especially smoked stuff like bacon for example.  We called it shrink.  Experation code dates are often put on by the meat dept for their use in marking it down one day before use before this date on fresh meat that is cut in the store.  We used to use 4 days on fresh cuts on beef and pork.  Pull it on the third day and then mark it down.  Ground beef that is ground in the meat dept is given only one day.  Ground in the morning.  Anything left the next day is marked down.

Pre-packages ground beef can have a much longer use before this date.  Same on the pre packaged cuts of beef, pork, and poultry you see in some stores.  I buy all fresh cut and not pre-packaged.  I think the way commercial pickled herring is packaged lets the code date be exteded.  I'll have to check out their ingredience the next time I'm in the store also.

Some stores have a marked down section on their fresh meats,seafood, and poultry.  I check it out all the time.  Beef and pork items I will buy if I see something I like.  However I'm not a fan of marked down poultry and seafood, but that's just me.  Ya common sense is the key.  I worked as a meat cutter for over 35 years and have seen it all.  good luck.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Weenies. It's odds 'n ends nite.   :azn:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
i ordered Tacos fer tonite!!!!!!!!!!!!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Pedro is riding in on his burro with yer supper?!  :scratch:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Pedro is riding in on his burro with yer supper?!  :scratch:
nope............one of them bikini clad fishin girls!!!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Hoo boy, the suns really got to ya! Better put a cold cloth on yer noggin and lay down!!   :doofus: