Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: What's on the stove, oven, or crockpot today?  (Read 1489283 times)

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
FDA and the USDA are 2 different agencies with total different thought patterns...  the FDA also has way less inspection too and the USDA's FSIS agency is more in to meat inspection..  with a ton of science based facts to back it up... 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Here is how I view it. Del's meat, he's the one that bought it and gonna eat it. He can do it anyway he wants.

BUT, that doesn't mean I still won't give him sheet about boiling his meat!! :sleazy: :happy1: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's

:coffee:

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Do you like medium rare roast beef?   No matter how you cook it medium rare is 130.   The long cooking actually makes it safer since it kills any bad stuff. 

It's sort of like you.... If you are in a room at 130 for 5 minutes you will be ok and live to tell about it.  If you are in a room at 130 for 24 hours ...   Well, smurfy wouldn't have to put up with your jabs anymore....

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Do you like medium rare roast beef?   No matter how you cook it medium rare is 130.   The long cooking actually makes it safer since it kills any bad stuff. 

But it's not LEFT at that temp for hours for bacteria to multiply!!!!!!   :banghead:

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Bacteria don't multiply at 130.
We ate the meat after 24 hrs at 131 degrees, and still are ok.  It was delicious.  I'll let you know if we die in the next few days.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Morning has broken,......(I forget the rest of the song)
It is calm, clear, and 57 degrees here in wakemup village.
We survived the night with no symptoms appearing.!!
Coffee is done. 
Have a good one, guys

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
We ate the meat after 24 hrs at 131 degrees, and still are ok.  It was delicious.  I'll let you know if we die in the next few days.

The Food and Drug Administration sets regulations for commercial food production. These specify that cooked foods should sit out at temperatures from 41 degrees to 135 degrees, the range in which bacteria grow and multiply, for no more than four hours. The USDA is even stricter; citing two hours.

« Last Edit: August 08/15/19, 08:26:36 AM by Rebel SS »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman

The Food and Drug Administration sets regulations for commercial food production. These specify that cooked foods should sit out at temperatures from 41 degrees to 135 degrees, the range in which bacteria grow and multiply, for no more than four hours. The USDA is even stricter; citing two hours.

Still haven't read the document I linked to, eh?   

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya know what crossed my mind the other day?  SPAM!   Getting close to buying me a can of it.  Been about 6 months I suppose.  Will eat part of it any ways. 

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Just bought two SPAM Lite today...sliced on buttered bread with white onyums...yummo!

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
Just bought two SPAM Lite today...sliced on buttered bread with white onyums...yummo!

Didn't you fry it first?  :bonk: :bonk:
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Not for a sandwich! Cold, outta the 'fridge!  Fryings for bfast with eggs! :happy1:
« Last Edit: August 08/15/19, 03:25:30 PM by Rebel SS »

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I always grill it first............

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I fry me a couple of slices in a dirty pan so there is some bacon or onions or something involved.  Tastes great.  Then may have a cold sandwich with a little ketchup.  Then a "thin slice" or two since I am getting tired of it with some eggs easy over.  May even put a shot of catsup on that too.  That's about all I can take.  Takes 2 or 3 days to run through the SPAM menu and that is all I can do for another 6 months. 
« Last Edit: August 08/15/19, 07:40:59 PM by LPS »

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
and I have always reheated it.. not sure about cold???????????? :rotflmao:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I can handle one cold sandwich with good bakery bread which is all we use.  Thin slices of SPAM.  Then a little mayo or miracle whip with a touch of catsup.  Maybe some sliced Vadalia or Wala Wala sweet onion.  Not bad but I can only do one.  Should try mustard sometime. 

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I can even eat cold soup right outta the can.  Long story behind the cold meals.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
there are lots of foods I can eat cold, but there is a limit too!!!   :rotflmao:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I like those Midwest Pride breakfast links.  Put 3 of them in the pan frozen and let them thaw in the pan whilst I put a little olive oil with them.  Well I got a 5 lb bag of frozen precooked meatballs made by them.  I sauteed some onions and green peppers and put some meatballs in with them and let them simmer.  Then I added a jar of Alfredo Sauce and let it simmer some more.  Made extra wide egg noddles and poured the meatballs and Alfredo Sauce on them and it turned out fantastic.  I really like those meat a ball a's

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Sounds wunnerful, Chef!    :happy1:  :rotflmao:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Chicken breast sous vide.  A little bbq sauce from a cute little variety pack we picked up added to the bag.  Hawaii style from heinz was the flavor this time. 

3 hours at 150, then browned for a few minutes on the grill.   Perfect. Tender and juicy, just like Reb's heart. 

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
SO Del is yours 1000 watts?  Can you just put the food in any vac packed bag?  Do you use one of their plastic tubs or just use a pan on the stove/counter.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya know. ya could throw some flavor packets in a glass jug of water, then plop yer chicken in it, and let it sit in the sun on the porch all day. Sun soused chicken!   :puke:

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
I have the Anova which I think is 800 watts.  The only reason you need high wattage is to get the water hot faster.   If you start with hot tap water it speeds things up.
You can use a foodsaver type bag or even, like I do most of the time, a ziploc.    Leave it partly unsealed and lower it into the water.  The water pressure will push the air out of the bag.  Then seal it up.   

If it is a real long cook I sometimes double bag to reduce chance of leakage.   

You can use any kind of container that is big enough and will stand some heat.   Here at the cabin I use a Coleman party stacker with a hole in the lid.   At home I use a 12 quart container with lid, I think it is rubbermaid, from the kitchen supply store.  I have used my 5 quart SS dutch oven.   

For big containers and long cooks especially it is good to have a lid, to keep the heat in and reduce evaporation.

The beef that I cooked was two roasts totaling about 6 or 7 pounds.  Last year I did a whole pork loin  (reb will be happy, it was at 142, I'm not big on medium rare pork)

If you set a pan on the counter, put a cutting board or something under it.  Protects the counter from the heat.   

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya know. ya could throw some flavor packets in a glass jug of water, then plop yer chicken in it, and let it sit in the sun on the porch all day. Sun soused chicken!   :puke:

Except for the sun on the porch, that is poached chicken.   Chinese call it "white cooked".