Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: What's on the stove, oven, or crockpot today?  (Read 1480820 times)

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Ya know. ya could throw some flavor packets in a glass jug of water, then plop yer chicken in it, and let it sit in the sun on the porch all day. Sun soused chicken!   :puke:

Except for the sun on the porch, that is poached chicken.   Chinese call it "white cooked".

They would. Chicken IS white when cooked.
« Last Edit: August 08/18/19, 10:23:21 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
They would. Chicken IS white when cooked.  :rolleyes:

Except when it is brown and crispy...

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
 :happy1: :happy1:  So I see someone cooked a chuck for 13 hours or something like that.  SO that is to get it tender like in a crockpot I suppose?

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
They would. Chicken IS white when cooked.  :rolleyes:

Except when it is brown and crispy...

Oh, then that's when it's cat? 😺 Sneaky Chinee.
« Last Edit: August 08/18/19, 10:27:07 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
 :puke:

[attachment deleted by admin]
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
:happy1: :happy1:  So I see someone cooked a chuck for 13 hours or something like that.  SO that is to get it tender like in a crockpot I suppose?

One of the cool things about Sous Vide is that you can cook something a long time to get it tender and still not have it too done.   Like a chuck or the round I cooked the other day.    Cook for a long time to make it tender, and it still can be medium rare.   

Fake prime rib.   Chuck at 131 for 24 hours or whatever.   Quick sear in a hot pan or on a grill, and it is a lot like a rib roast in flavor and texture.   
The saying is that "time is for tenderness, temperature for doneness"   

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
A serious question....my chicken, beef, roasts, etc., almost always come out tender and juicy, with proper cooking/or marinade...so why the souse vide thing?

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
A serious question....my chicken, beef, roasts, etc., almost always come out tender and juicy, with proper cooking/or marinade...so why the souse vide thing?
he likes to live dangerously

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman

There are a variety of reasons.   One is that you can get tenderness and not well done on cheaper cuts of meat.  So, if you were to cook a chuck roast or a rump roast medium rare, it would most likely be tough.   

A second reason is that it is more uniform.   If you cook a steak medium rare in the conventional manner, only the middle is medium rare.  The rest is cooked more done.    With sous vide and a fast sear, the whole interior is uniformly cooked to the desired doneness.   

A third reason is that it is pretty much foolproof.  Not completely since fools are quite ingenious.  Say you are cooking salmon...   The difference between cooked perfectly and over cooked is just a few degrees of internal temperature.   So if you are doing it on a grill or in the oven, you better have your timing just right.   Sous vide, whenever you are ready...   Likewise with steak.   You can do the low oven/post sear which is similar in results to sous vide, only without the machine or the water.   

Fourth... Why not.   It is another tool in the bag.   BTW sous vide glazed carrots are awesome.  Hollandaise sauce becomes easy.   Tempering chocolate....   Making custards like creme brule or flan.   Egg bites like at Starbucks.    Cheesecake.   

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
I gotta have my salmon smoked. So basically it's a two step process with whatever your cooking,  so be it if it turns out it's still worth an extra step. You whip up several different spreads and have us over del is the only way your going to sell that contraption. 

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I'll opt for the Delmonaco Sun Souse in -a-jar Kit...operators are standing by!  Call now, and get 10 different flavor packets, valued at $9.99!!   :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: August 08/18/19, 05:29:42 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
I think Del's food toy has some merrit.  I have some friends that use it and rave about it.  I haven't pulled the plug on it {yet} because I like the way my stuff turnes out.  I would have to argue one point of what Del has said about how uniform the steak gets with his method.  If you have looked at some of my steak pic's I would say they are uniform as for as the result wanted.  Now I do screw it up once in awhile and that's where Del's toy come's in.  I think some resturants use them also for good results.  I will get one some day.  All of these "toys"/tools of cooking have a purpose.  Like Bobber, my salmon has to be smoked and there will be no other way.  Don't like it any other way but it's just me.  To me it's like sausage making.  Always looking to get a better outcome.  good luck.

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
In the meantime its steak n chicken fageetas,  cawn cake and  homemade salsa. I'll be marinating in this tomorrow.. :happy1:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
That salsa looks great!  :hubba: Trying to spice up the missus a bit? Maybe you two can do the salsa later...  :dancinred:
« Last Edit: August 08/18/19, 06:11:14 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Nice job Bobber!!  I like all of it.  good luck.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
If I knew he was havin' that, I'da traded him my leftovers!  :tongue:  :rotflmao:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on one Del.  Have thought about it for a long time.  Just another cooking toy to play with.  That is a fun thing. 

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on one Del.  Have thought about it for a long time.  Just another cooking toy to play with.  That is a fun thing.
watch for a sale on amazon or the anova site.   black friday coming up.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I 'spose now we haveta start a "What's getting soused up today" thread... :rolleyes:  :rotflmao:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
[qu

g:ote author=Rebel SS link=topic=33502.msg319133#msg319133 date=1566225582]
I 'spose now we haveta start a "What's getting soused up today" thread... :rolleyes:  :rotflmao:
[/quote]I was soused sat nite. Came in 12 oz aluminum cans!! :toast: :toast: :drinking:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
 :doofus:  *HIC*    :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

« Last Edit: August 08/19/19, 09:59:43 AM by Rebel SS »

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
[qu

I'm soused every sat nite. Came in 12 oz aluminum cans!! :toast: :toast: :drinking:
[/quote]There, fixed it for ya ,57!  ;) :laugh:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
[qu

I'm soused every sat nite. Came in 12 oz aluminum cans!! :toast: :toast: :drinking:
There, fixed it for ya ,57!  ;) :laugh:
[/quote] :tut: :tut: :tut: :pouty: :pouty: :pouty: am not!;

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
A co-worker is on vacation and I get to work 5 days this week.  Including a Sunday [time and a half Glen, still paying union dues].  So I want something easy when I get home.  So Burritos it is.  good luck.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
oh yes!!!!  good eats!!!   :happy1: :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Looks more like Enchiladas, not that there is anything wrong with that. :confused:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
A co-worker is on vacation and I get to work 5 days this week.  Including a Sunday [time and a half Glen, still paying union dues].  So I want something easy when I get home.  So Burritos it is.  good luck.

:happy1: :happy1: good job!!!!!!!! and that food looks awesome!!!!!!!! :hubba: :hubba:

ya know its been a long time since i asked when them adoption papers are going to be final so i can sit at your dinner table!!!!! :scratch: :doah: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: