Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: What's on the stove, oven, or crockpot today?  (Read 1489492 times)

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
My pot roast with RH gravy may have been the best thing I ever ate.  I love a steak but it is hard to beat a pot roast with veggies and a nice gravy. 

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Minnesota style chile.  Berger, onions, stewed tomatoes, kidney beans.  Chili powder. 
Sliced french bread on the side.  Sour cream and cheese for optional toppings. Two kinds of cheese.

There, did I type slowly enough?

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I made some monster chicky thighs from ALDI (Sure lovin' their meats!) with a glaze I whipped up of OJ, honey, plum jelly, and soy sauce. Paired with a loaded salad and a pile o' brussel sprouts in butter.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
All with yer Suzy Homemaker?  :happy1:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Nice glaze Reb.  Like it when folks think out of the box.  good luck.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
All with yer Suzy Homemaker?  :happy1:

Yup. Too much wind and snow to grill out. Woulda sucked the heat right outta the grill!  :bonk:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Nothing like a good breakfast on a frosty morning as the sun is coming up.... :tongue:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm stumped for tonite. Don't have a clue.......could turn into a scrounge nite.   Maybe Delmar is making Lobster croquettes with Himalayan goat cheese baguettes, and candied lichee nuts torts for dessert....hmmmm...might haveta swing by.... :tongue:
« Last Edit: October 10/14/19, 04:16:17 PM by Rebel SS »

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Think he'll toss in some some Silver Lake Branta canadensis gizzard tartare as an appetizer while he's at it? :confused:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm stumped for tonite. Don't have a clue.......could turn into a scrounge nite.   Maybe Delmar is making Lobster croquettes with Himalayan goat cheese baguettes, and candied lichee nuts torts for dessert....hmmmm...might haveta swing by.... :tongue:

Reheated chili from last night.   toasted slices of baguette, from last night.   A bag of Mediterranean salad from Costco.   
Sorry to upset your fantasy.... :mooning:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya know, ya told me it's just you and the missus, and ya don't buy that much.....so why do you shop at Costco? Everything I've seen in there when I was shopping with a friend comes in huge portions, what was that bag of salad? 5 lbs.? I'm serious..... :confused:
Have ya considered ALDI, since it's a block away from Costco?
« Last Edit: October 10/14/19, 04:49:29 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
A couple big fat over loaded lotsa mozzas this away!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Did you know that with 3 slices, ya can make a pizza sammich?   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :bonk:

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya know, ya told me it's just you and the missus, and ya don't buy that much.....so why do you shop at Costco? Everything I've seen in there when I was shopping with a friend comes in huge portions, what was that bag of salad? 5 lbs.? I'm serious..... :confused:
Have ya considered ALDI, since it's a block away from Costco?

Had bad luck with Aldi and expired stuff a few years ago.   So haven't been back much.    Salad is 19 ounces including dressing and toppings.   Artisan baby romaine is 5 heads for like 4 bucks.  Keeps a good while.    Meat, I portion out and freeze.   Baugettes and bread, eat one freeze one.   

I have found Kirkland stuff to be good.  Aldi mystery brands.... ?????  Like going to sly vee.   

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I've found I really like them...their braunschweiger is probably the best I've had, and I've had a LOT of that. I saw Kirkland was really rated high. Haven't tried any Kirkland yet, but their deli stuff like chicken salad and tater salad was really good. Maybe that was Kirkland....?
I sure do like their pigger chops and chicken, some of the consistently biggest ones I've seen anywhere. Pop into that one and see what ya think.....as far as freshness dates, all the stuff I've got (and I'm nuts about checking that) was dated waaaaay out. Very fresh.
« Last Edit: October 10/14/19, 05:12:35 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Made some pea soup tonight.  Been brewing since 1 pm and I'll post pics later.  So far taste's good.  I don't soak the split peas overnight.  Just about 2 hours while I do the pre cook work.  They get tender and fall apart during simmering.  good luck.

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
No aldi's fer me neither.  We hit up Costco a couple times a month,  I dont like to freeze steaks but will when they get cut up for different dishes, the rest freeze away.  Hate to say it tho my first stop in the store is clothing, great deals on heavy hoodies and what not then the cart gets filled with whatever I'm craving for chow and not to mention paper plates, towels and butt wipe..

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Some interesting reading.

https://www.foodandwine.com/lifestyle/best-supermarket-america-usa

Target scored 2 spots higher than Walmart.....both rated lousy.
« Last Edit: October 10/14/19, 06:02:01 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
interesting Reb...  I still enjoy Aldi's.  to me it's like any store, watch what ya buy...  I have had good luck there for sure...
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Well, I sure am glad ya talked me into going there!  :happy1:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Like I've said before from Waterloo/Cedar Falls, Mason City, Austin, & GR we rarely drive by 1 when we're grocery shopping. Don't always have a cart full but usually pick up some of their produce, cereals, meat, &  milk. :happy1:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I like the vacuum packed beef and steaks..... :happy1: :happy1:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
going to make some clam chowder today I think...  maybe put some oysters in to for something different.. 

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
At $13 a pint???!  Better not spill a drop!   :doah:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Homemade pea soup was the deal last night and left overs today.  Had some cheesy toast on the side.  Smoked ham shanks, onions, carrots, garlic, pepper.  I don't add any salt because the ham shanks have enough.  Didn't have to add any more ham since the ham shanks had plenty.  Don't soak peas long.  Don't need to.  Takes about 2 hours to simmer the ham shanks tender and I soaked the peas in that time in water.  They get tender during the simmering time.  Used quality bone chicken broth for the liquid.   good luck.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Oboy! Split pea 'n ham! One of my two favorites! Hope someone has ham on sale soon so I can get a slab with the bone in it.... :tongue: