Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: What's on the stove, oven, or crockpot today?  (Read 1488746 times)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
:
got to cubs and they had been out of the pork roasts since Monday!!!!  they gave a rain check that's good for 30 days!!! 

I was going to cook one this weekend too!!!  new plans will have to be figured out now!!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
i love o good old pork roast with gravy and smashed spuds........but my wife doesnt care for it........ sucks to be her iffin i'm cookin!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Well Glenn, if you would sous vide the pork roast she would probably love it.
:doofus: :tut: :tut: :tut: :tut: :tut: :tut: :tut:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Went to Cub today and they were almost out for the day with the butts.  Did get one though.  Going to get a rain check if they are out tomorrow.  When these genious's  write up a ad you would think they would get enough for the ad.  Not the stores fault at all, it's the wharehouse. 

I say butt because that is meat cutters talk.  I'm sure there are employees now in the meat department who don't have a clue on different cuts.  Very few real meat cutters left.  They hire part time kids now to fill the counters and help customers. 

You can call them butts, Boston butts, or pork shoulder it's all the same.  On the label it should say pork shoulder.  Other cuts you can get from a butt besides a roast is country style ribs and pork shoulder steaks.  Bacon from a butt is called cottage bacon. Bacon from a pork loin is called Canadian bacon.  I have made cottage bacon and Canadian bacon many times.  good luck.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
I'm glad you set things straight!!!!!!!! Including pigger steaks!    :happy1:  :rotflmao:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
And here I thought the reason there were no picnic hams anymore was that millennials were too lazy to go on picnics!  :confused:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Dotch they still sell picnics here and there.  Depends the area the store is located.  Just like Tri tips for example.  Not everyone carry's that cut but some do and they sell well.  We sold lots of picnics both fresh and smoked in the stores in the city's limits.  But the suberban stores you see less of them.  Just like in the city's, things like pig ears, pig tails, pig feet, cow hoves, chicken feet and more odd ball stuff like that sold all the time.  While in the suburbs you dont see much of that.  Picnic's sell well on the holiday's.  good luck.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
All this talk about cuts of meats and what there called. Is there a trade school or classes/ courses that teach meat cutting?? :scratch:

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
All this talk about butts...

Maybe we ought to move this discussion to 'da Saloon.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Dotch they still sell picnics here and there.  Depends the area the store is located.  Just like Tri tips for example.  Not everyone carry's that cut but some do and they sell well.  We sold lots of picnics both fresh and smoked in the stores in the city's limits.  But the suberban stores you see less of them.  Just like in the city's, things like pig ears, pig tails, pig feet, cow hoves, chicken feet and more odd ball stuff like that sold all the time.  While in the suburbs you dont see much of that.  Picnic's sell well on the holiday's.  good luck.

I appreciate hearing your input RH! I remember my folks buying picnic hams and wondering what the big deal was. Haven't seen one locally in eons. Seem to be lotsa pork steaks & country style ribs though, something we'd get when we had a hog butchered. We had none of it cured. Those cuts weren't that common in the stores back in the day. There can be such a discrepancy in what some of these cuts are called. The leg of lamb cuts are an example of that. Some disagreement locally as to what constitutes a shank & hock roast. Most of the time we split ours so there's what I've always known as a butt & a shank roast. I've heard some of the places are going so far as to call them hams! To me that's terminology reserved for pork.     
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
In a pig's eye! Even Scout knew what a ham was!! Say, that looks like a picnic ham.... 

:rotflmao:  :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: January 01/03/20, 06:31:09 AM by Rebel SS »

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
All this talk about cuts of meats and what there called. Is there a trade school or classes/ courses that teach meat cutting?? :scratch:

yes there was I think it was in Marshall Minn.. closed it up..  not enough people I heard ti keep it going...  I think at one time it was a federal Plant too!!  might have been in pipestone other wise...
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Don't really care what they call it. I'll cook the dad bird thing and eat it. :happy1: :rotflmao:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I went back to Cub and talked to the guy behind the butcher counter. He said that they only got the one truck at the beginning of the sale and were sold out that day. They never got anymore. He told me to go to the register and get a rain check because a new load was going to arrive Monday.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Pipestone is right by Luverne where I grew up.  The meat cutting school was part of the Vo-Tech school there.  Was a real popular class for many years.  They cut up deer too so we brought ours there.  They did a good job and affordable too.  And yes they did close that class up.  I heard it is because there aren't many places that butcher whole animals anymore.  I had a few friends that went there. 

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Probably small town locker plants are about it for whole animals not in assembly line fashion.   My buddy uses the one in Zumbrota.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Ye Olde Butcher Shoppe here in town will hire you on (tough to get in, though) and you can  work yer way up. Large animal processing, too..deer, elk, etc.
« Last Edit: January 01/04/20, 10:41:09 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
i'd never make it in that profession...…….i'm way to picky and I want every scrap I can get!!!!!!

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Nothing beats left over venison and mushrooms in gravy over bread (easy on the bread).  Through some good planning on my part this year, I managed to keep venison only from a doe and a young buck.  Normally all the venison gets mixed together as it's processed and split up between those who want venison.  Although quite fair, this results in getting meat from some old rutting bucks.  (Yes, we usually shoot a few of them).  I guess they may figure it out next year and when I say "you go ahead and do what you want with that buck and we will get other deer".   :rotflmao:   

***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I went back to Cub and talked to the guy behind the butcher counter. He said that they only got the one truck at the beginning of the sale and were sold out that day. They never got anymore. He told me to go to the register and get a rain check because a new load was going to arrive Monday.

same thing here!!  got the rain check..  it's good for 30 days too!!

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Most Cub stores don't get a Sunday night delivery.  So better off going Tuesday.  good luck.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Most Cub stores don't get a Sunday night delivery.  So better off going Tuesday.  good luck.

Yup, I probably will be going back on Tuesday. I won't have time on Monday cause I got an appointment for a Lasik evaluation.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman
Some of the Cub stores are franchises, I don’t know how many. I know the one in Rogers is, at least that is what the manager told me, and the franchises don’t always have, or honor the Cub weekly ad. Example, when Cub had the walleye on sale for $7.99lb a few weeks ago, the Rogers store said I would have to go to the Elk River store because they did not have that sale. That was the third time that has happened to me?

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Same here, Coop. That's why I no longer will go there anymore. Ad comes out; went there, mgr says "that's the ad for Mpls/St Paul area"...yet it was in our local weekly shopper. He refused to honor it.Happened a second time, they were out, and wouldn't give me a raincheck. I walked outta there and have never been back.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Yup, I probably will be going back on Tuesday. I won't have time on Monday cause I got an appointment for a Lasik evaluation.
OK Glenn...………...leave this alone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Alex is a franchise, but they are good with the adds over all... 

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
i'd never make it in that profession...…….i'm way to picky and I want every scrap I can get!!!!!!

So, this is you?   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/ZKBQ/fox-sports-super-six-ketchup-featuring-terry-bradshaw

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
! I KNEW that was gonna be the reply!!!  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: January 01/05/20, 01:33:36 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Boneless chicky thighs in cream of chicky made with half & half; with added sage, green peppers, and rosemary. Yellow & white cawn off the cob, sage stuffing.     :tongue:
« Last Edit: January 01/05/20, 06:26:30 PM by Rebel SS »