Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Mushroom ID Please  (Read 2633 times)

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I have quite a few of these mushrooms in my spruce tree grove.  There is another kind too but I only picked these cuz they looked the nicest.  The others are white and smaller and seem to not get real big and then fall apart.  Anyways the ones in the pics are the ones I am curious about.  Can I eat them without dyeing or getting sick????   Are they a boralis or something like that???  I am Baudette and picked them yesterday.  It has been real wet here as I have told you in the Good Morning thread.  What worries me is that the deer don't eat these and they are right in the area of my mineral block where the deer are. 

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Here they are

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
And here is another shot.  The wife said she isn't eating any of them.....  lol

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
Here they are
OOH you may have a score there! Mostly wide stemmed rooms are OK to eat.Without having one inhand and can scratch it or smell and look close.Look up a American Matsutake. Their kinda a dirty to see if they have a vail or light ring around the stem bout 2/3eds up from earth.
Google that room,compare and see what you think.I'd love to have one inhand
« Last Edit: August 08/29/16, 06:50:21 PM by dew2 »
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I will look Dew.  Thanks I have a big smile on my face.  And my fingers are crossed. 

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
I will look Dew.  Thanks I have a big smile on my face.  And my fingers are crossed.
a small taste wont hurt UNLESS da squirts happen.
« Last Edit: August 08/29/16, 07:05:17 PM by dew2 »

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
lol  Here is a shot of them split in half Dew.  I don't see that ring that is in some of the pics.  Should I just sautee them in butter?  Would you eat these if you had them????

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I put these in a zip loc in the frig.  I think there are more out there.  What should I do with them?  Do they store long?

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
I put these in a zip loc in the frig.  I think there are more out there.  What should I do with them?  Do they store long?
Dont eat em till IDed,That pic of em split may help me in my Peterson's field guide to rooms.I'll look soon and if I find something I'll pass it along.Remember if in doubt chuck it out! an no liver failor that way :happy1:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks Dew I appreciate it.  This is exciting and I see that they do come out in Sept just like these did.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I just dropped a couple of these shrooms at the DNR office here in beautiful Baudette.  They are going to take pics and do a cross section of them and send to Bemidji to get a little more info for me.  Should hear today.  I will let you know.  I see lots of them popping in the spruces this morning. 

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
I just dropped a couple of these shrooms at the DNR office here in beautiful Baudette.  They are going to take pics and do a cross section of them and send to Bemidji to get a little more info for me.  Should hear today.  I will let you know.  I see lots of them popping in the spruces this morning.
Wise move LPS.I never thought of that and I am 7 miles from a DNR office!
 I looked again this morn to try to ID positive,But I cant I found 3-4 that look similar and 2 are poision.n
 Get a book learn  to scratch an sniff almond and anise smell are no good the color they extrude once scratched helps,the cross section of stalk Hollow,fibrous, spore print on white paper.You'll still be indoubt just like me unless I get help. I'm still intouch with the professer,Asking him on the phone is worthless he always says bring it over!!  I donated my microscope to a local grade school so spore print can be done but I cant see spores without it and they are great for ID.
 Hope yers are eatable an you can try some other than white buttons, All the different flavers is nice!

Let me know what you find out!!
« Last Edit: August 08/30/16, 09:05:41 AM by dew2 »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Dont eat em till IDed,That pic of em split may help me in my Peterson's field guide to rooms.I'll look soon and if I find something I'll pass it along.Remember if in doubt chuck it out! an no liver failor that way :happy1:
kinda explains a few things about you and boar,,,, funny mushrooms and wacky hay??????????????
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman