Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Walleye Fall, Do a little Jig, Get Down Tonight!  (Read 1828 times)

Offline fishing32wild

• Outdoorsman
The title of this article is somewhat self explanatory.  Jigging becomes a factor again during these last few months of open water.  I absolutely love the fact that minnows become a factor again as well.  My choice would be either fatheads or redtails.  Smaller the better in my mind, however those who are pursuing monster walleyes should consider large redtails or pike suckers.  I still think the industry standard is 2.5 inches preferred.

Colors and shanks can be argued all day.  Personally I like short shank and lighter is the best.  When on the hunt for these fall fish I look for sharp drop offs in tucks or pockets.  I really focus down on ledges where I can pitch light jigs and get them really dancing with a lively minnow on the down fall.  Tungsten jigs have been known to work well in these situations, my perfect situation is those perfect eating walleyes 15 to 17 inches in size, smaller panfish jigs work well when trying to pick off keeper fish.  Also, presentation is everything so I use lighter line, magnathin stren or something like a 4 lb. suffix suffice. 

Keep it simple with colors, gold and chartruce, even have a couple black jigs with white eyes handy.  Nothing to goddy, this isn't a time when extremism is needed.  If you want to spruce it up maybe go with watermelon or parot, because I like the blue on the parot and the white on the watermelon.  Otherwise its not time for the entire jig box to come out, and keep it really light.  1/16th or 1/8 and that's about as heavy as you should get, even some finesse anglers can whip out there 1/32nd's if they are truly daring.  This type of fishing requires patience, however when these fish turn on, it'll be a trip to remember. 

What lakes work with this method, well I like anything with running water or main lake breaks and sharp ones.  Winnie has been really good for this method, I like Walker Bay on Leech, and then as far as secondary lakes Gull, Whitefish and Thunder lakes.  All these bodies hold various age classes and have sharp breaks to work slow on.  Also windy conditions will force you to fish heavier and at times can be a good choice however I love laid up evenings when its glassy and you can move slow.  Don't forget even in 22 ft of water, clunking and banging around the boat can be costly on a good bite. 

So lace up your boots, throw on your bibs and get on that jigging grind.  Electronics are a plus but even then, if you know where your going, just keep working it, and working it, and working it some more because if they are there, they will bite, so get down tonight!

Happy Hookin'
LGS

Offline pickelfarmer

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Excellent advice here. I use the jigging method 9 out of 10 times out in the fall. The thing I like the most about jigging is, it's not limited to any particular time of day. I have caught walleye at one point or the other at nearly every hour of the day. Good post fishing32wild!!
Where did I catch all these fish you ask??? right in the lip....