Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Abundant Lake Vermilion walleye lead to possible regulation change  (Read 2984 times)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Abundant Lake Vermilion walleye lead to possible regulation change
September 12, 2016
Lake Vermilion’s abundant, healthy walleye population is leading the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources to consider a walleye regulation change starting in 2017.
The DNR will host an open public meeting about the regulation proposals from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 25, at the Tower Civic Center, 402 Pine St., in Tower.
“We are in a good situation, with abundant walleye and lots of large female walleye to produce future year classes,” said Edie Evarts, Tower area fisheries supervisor. “It is nice to offer a regulation change because the population is healthy. At the same time, we want to protect the overall abundance and still offer opportunities to catch and release large fish.”
The regulation options would continue the four-fish bag limit while allowing increased harvest by changing the size ranges of fish anglers could keep. Under current regulations, anglers must release all walleye from 18-to 26-inches long, and are allowed to keep one walleye longer than 26 inches.
Proposed regulation options would require:
Release of walleye 18-to 22-inches long, or
Release of walleye 20-to 26-inches long, or
Allow anglers to keep one walleye longer than 18 inches out of four allowed.
Lake Vermilion, covering nearly 40,000 acres with over 340 miles of shoreline in northeastern Minnesota, has east and west basins that are substantially different. West end walleye grow faster and this has resulted in a larger proportion growing into the protected size range where they are no longer available for harvest.
The annual safe harvest level for boat anglers May through September is 65,000 pounds of walleye. In 2014 and 2015 based on angler creel surveys, harvest was at or below 45,000 pounds, indicating that the regulation could be adjusted to allow more harvest.
In recent DNR surveys of walleye populations, walleye have been showing up in numbers above historic averages.
“We continue to monitor harvest levels and the health of the walleye population,” Evarts said. “All our options do carry some risk of exceeding the safe harvest level. However, unless we see a large increase in the number of anglers on the lake, we are pretty comfortable that we will stay near the safe harvest with a less restrictive regulation.”
Special walleye regulations on Lake Vermilion first began in 2006, to address high harvest. In 2012 the current regulations were put in place, which had included a 1-inch change to the protected slot limit.
“We know from results of DNR lake surveys and estimates of harvest from angler creel surveys that there is room to harvest more fish while continuing to maintain the quality of fishing in the lake,” Evarts said. “A regulation change will also address some anglers’ concerns that there are few fish of a size they can keep on the west end.”
The DNR’s Tower area fisheries office is currently working with a public input group in revising the Lake Vermilion Fisheries Management Plan. This group has contributed insight and comments on different regulation options and members have helped keep local stakeholders informed.
After the Oct. 25 meeting, the public comment period will extend for 10 more days, closing on Friday, Nov. 4. Questions or comments may be directed to the Tower area fisheries office, 650 Highway 169, Tower, MN 55790, by calling 218-753-2580, or email to edie.evarts@state.mn.us.
Additionally, an open house about this proposal and other fishing regulations under review is scheduled for 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 28, at the DNR Central Office, 500 Lafayette Road in St. Paul. Staff will take comments on this proposal and other fishing regulations under review around the state.
More information about Lake Vermilion is available on the Lake Vermilion webpage.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Aceguide

• Outdoorsman
I'll be at the public meetings and I hope they take the 20 to 26 inch closed slot and not the other options as the one fish over 22 would only lead to the over harvest of larger Walleyes. JMHO

"Ace" :happy1:

"It's just fishing man"
Terry "Ace" Sjoberg
Ace guide service.
Beautiful Lake Vermilion.
Check us out on facebook.

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
Give um :police: what for Ace! :happy1: Guys such as yourself that are out there all the time paying their dues can give the legit feedback that's needed . :bow:
« Last Edit: September 09/18/16, 04:14:21 PM by Lee Borgersen »
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
As a west end guy, I am for the one over 18. 

Offline Aceguide

• Outdoorsman
Hey there Del,
I'm afraid that the one fish over 18 wouldn't change much on the west end. You'd still be struggling to catch the other 3 fish in your limit that were under the slot.  I'm no scientist however it would seem to me that opening up the 18 and 19 inch fish to be harvested would make it easier to get some "Eaters" for all those resort anglers. Sadly they are the ones that matter most to the resort  owners, not us local anglers. :bonk:  JMHO.

"Ace"  :happy1:

"It's just fishing man".
Terry "Ace" Sjoberg
Ace guide service.
Beautiful Lake Vermilion.
Check us out on facebook.

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Just my wife and I.  One nice walleye is dinner for the two of us.  I don't need 4.  I only keep enough to eat fresh while we are there. 

Ate bass this past summer.  Seemed more straightforward.   

So one over 18  works for me.   And then I wouldn't have to make a pilgrimage to the east just to get walleye instead of bass for dinner.