Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Need A Little De-Skunking?  (Read 3472 times)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
The Pointer is written by Bob St.Pierre, Pheasants Forever & Quail Forever

The morning had started off just a bit too perfectly. A week of heat and humidity was followed up by two days of rain, Sunday morning broke sunny, clear, and in the 60s. Perfect conditions for a run to Minnesota’s northeastern sharp-tailed grouse cover for a little preseason bird dog training.

Five minutes from the truck, my two-year old shorthair Esky locked up into a staunch point. My veteran shorthair, Trammell, honored as I approached from Esky’s left. One young sharpie exploded to the air, followed by a second, and a third, fourth, fifth, and sixth. We moved a little further into the wind and the pups pointed in unison on another pair of sharpies from the brood. A couple hundred yards further into the center of the section of grass, Esky locked up again. This time, her tail flagged. I should have known, but it’s August and there is still rust on this bird hunter’s brain. As I approached, Esky broke point and buried her head into a hole and the cloud of skunk hit her, the wind, then me.

Of course I’d taken the ingredients of my de-skunking kit out of my truck last winter, which meant I spent the next hour getting back to the highway, finding a grocery store, then a lake with a boat launch. Three de-skunking applications later, Esky smells like a flower. Unfortunately, as I write this nine hours later, my truck still smells of skunk and the stink will likely cling to me as I make my way to the Pheasants Forever office in the morning.

So, let my preseason skunking be a reminder for all my bird dog brethren. Get that dog de-skunking kit back in your truck.

Ingredients

1 quart (2 pints) of 3% hydrogen peroxide
    ¼ cup baking soda
    1 teaspoon dishwashing soap (with grease cutter)
    Sponge
    Rubber Gloves
    Small bucket for mixing

Directions:

1)   Mix solution
2)   Wet dog down
3)   Work in solution
4)   Leave on 3-4 minutes
5)   Rinse
      Repeat steps 1 through 5 as necessary

NOTE: solution is unsafe to mix and store ahead of time.

One more tip, my radio partner “The Captain” Billy Hildebrand printed the ingredients and directions of this de-skunking recipe and laminated if for me to keep in my wallet. He did this for me after Trammell’s third skunking incident during her second season. I have carried Billy’s gift in my wallet ever since. His gift sure came in handy today!
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
This is exactly what I've been using for years and it works great.  I also throw both collars right in the pail of the solution.
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
rumor has it that's the stuff boar uses to shower wit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll: :sorry:
« Last Edit: September 09/28/16, 10:40:35 AM by glenn57 »
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
The best and easiest fix is "skunk off"... for the field we use the spray bottle,works on contact,one bottle lasts for years,then it also comes in a concentrate in case you get nailed and need to wash your clothes.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I use that solution above but I do a lot more baking soda.  Like at least half a box and then 1 20 oz bottle of hydrogen peroxide and a healthy big squirt of dawn in a pail of warm water.  Try to leave it on for a few minutes after you lather up.  Then a big rinse.  Works awesome...

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
Yes you are right LPS on the extra baking soda I usually just use the whole box.   Otherwise the rest just goes to waste anyway as I don't want it spoiled all over the truck.
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood