Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2016 rifle deer season  (Read 5222 times)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
so the rifle season is quickly coming upon us, so i"ve been thinkin and planning.  do you guys stay out in the woods all day??????? stay in the same spot? move to different areas after the first day????????????

the first weekend and we usually hunt 2 1/2 days being done to head home  by noonish on monday. i stay on stand all day, except for a walk to my kids stand maybe once during what i call not prime time. we bring lunch and snacks for the day to eat on stand.

which brings up another question fer ya all. what or when do you guys call prime time?????? based on the years ive hunted the big woods up in itasca county and the different areas i think it varies. the area i currently hunt i very rarely see deer during the late afternoon hours. my prime times are till about 10 am, then from 11 till 1 pm. i have shot 99%of my deer then and most of the bucks i have shot have been between that 11 to 1 pm time frame.

where my brother hunts they seem to see deer more often in the afternoon up till dark, although they do see and get deer in the morning. those clowns go to there vehicles at noon for lunch which i dont.

so lets hear from ya!!!!!!!!! :happy1: :coffee:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline markn

• Master Outdoorsman
Our group will stay on stands until 11:00 or so and then do lunch. Afternoon is back out by 1:00 til dark. This is for Sat., Sun., and Mon. after that depending what's hanging in the barn usally dictates what we'll do the rest of the week. The kids and the hunters that don't have vacation or need to go back to school are gone Sunday night. We have had some big deer bagged doing the "let's sleep in and have breakfast about 8:00 and then out go out" trick which is used after Tuesday. I used to think seeing deer between 11:00 and 1:30 was because of the hunters going in and coming back out for dinner, but we don't have the hunters by us any more for that to be true. After Tuesday we"ll start checking out other areas too. Places we been before and some exploring.

Good luck everyone, stay safe, have fun.
mm

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
We always hunt the 3rd weekend also. This year we changed it to the second weekend. We check out other areas also. Part of our group hunts a different area so we head back there occasionally too.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
So many times when we all meet for a burger at noon and go back out there are deer moving right by our stands and we have to sneak back in.  I am liking the sleep later and have a good breakfast and then stay out all day program.   Opening day I will be in stand by daylight but after that I will do the later, gentlemens thing....    ;D

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
.it depends on where i hunt. if im in the woods, i n before daylight and dont leave. if i hunt a fed edge.then i dont go out till sunrise or ill.scare them out of the feild and put them on edge.
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2016 Mno rockbass challenge champion
We usually sit until 11 then come in for lunch and to visit then back in stands by 1. I like to visit with family when I'm up at camp

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Heading up today to check on things for the weekend.  Check for signs, check on stands, eat and drink well.  We usually get on the stands before 7 am, come in for lunch and bs at noon.  then go back around 1 or so until late afternoon.  We get meals ready, have some adult beverages, and sit around a fire.  Repeat the next day.  good luck.

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
That is what we do too. Out before sunrise, come in for lunch then back out by 1 or 2. That is for the 1sat week at deer camp. We usually bring camp the 1st Friday and all head home. I  hunt the 2nd and 3rd weekends on the state land by home. There I will do a couple of all day sits. It paid of for me last year. Have a good hunt everyone!!
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
with the results i have had between that 11 am and 1 pm time frame on opening weekend one would need to drag me out of the woods for lunch. most of the bucks i have shot have been in the time frame!!!!!!! and i dont believe they were chased or spooked by other hunters moving around either.

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
i agree, what i e seen over the years. is deer go bed down befor sunrise, then around 9-10 am  the does get up to browse bucks soon to follow.  ive finnaly have a stand in the middle of our woods wher deer funnel i hope to get halle a crack and a nice buck this year.
78.50"

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
i agree, what i e seen over the years. is deer go bed down befor sunrise, then around 9-10 am  the does get up to browse bucks soon to follow.  ive finnaly have a stand in the middle of our woods wher deer funnel i hope to get halle a crack and a nice buck this year.
HOLY SH)T!!!!!!!!!!!!!! boar agreed wit me. man i might need to give ya an applause!!!!!!!!!!!!! i sure hope EVERYONE reads this!!!!!!!!!!!

ALERT!!!!!!!ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :taz: :taz: :taz: :dancinred: :dancinred: :dancinred: :blues brothers: :blues brothers: :blues brothers: :rocker; :rocker; :rocker; :rocker; :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :clap: :clap: :laughroll: :laughroll:

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
jeeze just being jice is all
78.50"

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
We usually (like clowns) come in for lunch around 11 and head out again around 2.  The only deer shot from 11 to 2 are the unlucky ones that happen to run past deer camp.  We probably shoot 75 percent of our bucks between 8-10 am and the other 25% sometime after 4 pm.   Of course we at seldom in the woods between 11 and 2 so maybe this is not a good study.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Dakota Dude

• Outdoorsman
The area I have been hunting the last couple weeks has had the deer up starting with does and young around 3pm. Have been out before sunrise a few morns to no avail, not even any sightings from the road in the morns but I think it had more to do with the moon phases/rises. Never know by the time I get back there for gun opener they could be out more in the early morns. It all goes in phases temps/moon/amount of daylight. And we always like clowns take a lunchbreak from 10ish-2ish lol. I rarely if ever see any deer on their feet mid day unless maybe it is Nov/Dec.
« Last Edit: October 10/23/16, 09:59:45 AM by Dakota Dude »

Offline gophergunner

• Master Outdoorsman
I try real hard to stay put, stay quiet, and stay still as long as I possibly can.  When I was younger, I stayed up on my feet all day the first day.  Then I went to some sitting, mostly standing.  Then I went to mostly sitting, and some standing.  Now I'm lucky just to stay awake all day without taking a nap.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Oh there's always a nap involved. Usually not voluntarily!

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I think gophergunner got it right.  Standing vigilantly progressed to some sitting, to more sitting to some napping and now... maybe too much napping..
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
thats ok glenn, we know ya cant fall over, you will just wobble, but not fall over....
78.50"

Offline gophergunner

• Master Outdoorsman
I try real hard to stay put, stay quiet, and stay still as long as I possibly can.  When I was younger, I stayed up on my feet all day the first day.  Then I went to some sitting, mostly standing.  Then I went to mostly sitting, and some standing.  Now I'm lucky just to stay awake all day without taking a nap.
I stayed put all day until 5:55 p.m.  Never saw a deer.  By 5:55 my azz hurt from sitting on the folding chair all day.  It was getting dark, but light enough that I could still see for the walk back to the truck.  The second I stood up, a deer snorted right behind me.  Never saw it back in the brush, just movement and could hear it running away. If I'd stayed on the stool another 5 minutes, it might have crossed the trail.  I went back to the same spot Sunday morning.  I jumped a deer on the walk in and it ran off to my right.  I sat down and got my self situated, looked up and there was a deer standing in the middle of the trail, about 100 yards a way.  I took a shot off my monopod and missed.  The deer crashed through the brush and was gone.  I reloaded the rifle, put it back on the monopod, looked up and there's another deer crossing the trail.  It fell at the shot.  A nice 8 point-about 175 lbs. Never moved one step-fell dead right there.   I'm pretty sure they were the deer I spooked while walking in, and they wanted across the trail.