Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Gardening 2017  (Read 77031 times)

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
 GLENN GLENN Yah here today?
 Maybe yer out lookin at asparagus an onions???Maybe yer pickin a bucket a dingleberries while out there? Get a full bucket fer ole Reb!!1 :moon: :surrender: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
got that done yesterday!!!!!! cleaned up the old asparagus dead stuff, worked the ground up a bit and thru down some 10-10-10. worked it in the soil a bit. the garlic was already about 3 inches high. not all of it came up!!!!!! :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: yet.

next weekend i'll go out with some roundup and kill me some weeds!!!!!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Naa, he's probably out rollin' in the smurfberry patch with mama.   :rotflmao:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Naa, he's probably out rollin' in the smurfberry patch with mama.   :rotflmao:
i'll never tell!!!!!!!!!!!! tut_tut-3315.gif tut_tut-3315.gif tut_tut-3315.gif tut_tut-3315.gif

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
cleaned up my asparagus patch today before work, noticed a half dozen or so popping through.  :happy1: :happy1:

Offline Auggie

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Start'em young
    • www.wallhangerstaxidermystudio.com
Asparagus and taters are up now😁!
Have enough asparagus for a meal by tomorrow or the next day
Shane Augeson
Wallhangers Taxidermy Studio
9040 40th St NW
Milan MN 56262
www.wallhangerstaxidermystudio.com
320-269-3337

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
be down there soon on the bike for some of that!! :rotflmao:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Auggie

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Start'em young
 tut_tut-3315.gif :fudd: :fudd: :fudd: :laughroll:
Shane Augeson
9040 40th St NW
Milan MN 56262
320-269-3337

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
not sure about those Rebster, I like them oiled and then grilled.  or steamed other wise. :happy1:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Figgered Glenn boy would trip out over those. I rank ass-pear-a-gus right up there with GREEN BEANS.   :puke:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I suppose you eat brussel sprouts, I won't!!!  :puke:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Cannon balls!!! I love 'em!! Little cabbages bathed in butter!! O yum!!  :azn:

Offline Auggie

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Start'em young
Man you guys never been hungry! Asparagus, green beans, Brussel sprouts are all good eats!!! burp-402.gif
Shane Augeson
9040 40th St NW
Milan MN 56262
320-269-3337

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Man you guys never been hungry! Asparagus, green beans, Brussel sprouts are all good eats!!! burp-402.gif

been hungry just not enough for the green balls of lord knows what!!

and this goes all the way back to when I was a kid, just can't eat the little rascals!!!  so yes more for you!!

and more of the other for us!!!
« Last Edit: April 04/19/17, 03:18:17 PM by mike89 »

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Yea......Yea..... Yea..... I'm behind.....

I got the raised beds planted with peas, radishes and GREEN BEANS!

The second bed, is planted for pickles.

Also, I tilled the tator garden..... Hopefully get them in tomorrow....
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Also.... I'm try'in that preen stuff this year to knock down the weeds..... Have you guy's used this stuff?  confused-3316.gif
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
my wife did use the stuff in her flowers gardens, if it did not work she would have thrown it out I think.

Offline Auggie

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Start'em young
Also.... I'm try'in that preen stuff this year to knock down the weeds..... Have you guy's used this stuff?  confused-3316.gif
It works, but don't put it down till all your plants are growing. It works by not letting the seed sprout. So if you put it down before you plant your seeds they will not grow either. And you will need to apply it more than once during the growing season.
I'm lucky, my Preen is a teen! ;)
Shane Augeson
9040 40th St NW
Milan MN 56262
320-269-3337

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
love Brussel sprouts!!!!! most my GREEN BEANS and ASPARAGUS will be pickled this year!!!!! throw in a few tia chili peppers fer a little kick.........and NOM NOM NOM.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Nope, I'm with mike on this 1. Don't care for them :puke:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
It works, but don't put it down till all your plants are growing. It works by not letting the seed sprout. So if you put it down before you plant your seeds they will not grow either. And you will need to apply it more than once during the growing season.

So.....what if I added the preen.....tilled it.....and was gonna plant tators there?  confused-3316.gif It's not a seed......

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman

So.....what if I added the preen.....tilled it.....and was gonna plant tators there?  confused-3316.gif It's not a seed......
Years back I bought the 18 lb box a Preen.Knew It stopped seed from sprouting so I used it where I had transplant's to go in. allready rooted plants.Worked great!! Next year I seeded the area and nothing grew no sprouting!! I know the instructions said 6 months of protection BUT That stuff was still stopping seeds sprouting! I gave the whole box to a BIL an he used an hated it!!
 I have a small container to try this year the gardens got so out of hand without me workin em for the last 3 years. Yer tatters should grow its seeds it stops from sprouting Tatters arent seed.
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
We use it up here but not until after stuff start coming up.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Preen contains an herbicide, trifluralin, which will only affect new seeds that are beginning to germinate. Specifically, this herbicide inhibits the growth of roots and shoots when it is absorbed by the roots of newly germinated weed seedlings. However, it doesn't affect any existing perennial weeds like dandelions, grasses or weeds that have already germinated. This is why the label states "first, remove all existing weeds."

The big question that comes to mind is: If it affects newly planted seeds, won't vegetable seeds be affected by this product? That can be a concern if this product is placed over the top of recently planted, small seeds, like carrots. Typically, large-seeded vegetable plants, like beans and peas, are not affected because the seeds are placed deeper in the soil and not up near the soil surface. Transplants are not usually affected because a root system is already developed and that root system is planted deep into the soil. Research has shown there is no significant absorption or translocation of trifluralin in crops grown in soils treated with trifluralin.

The principle of any pre-emergent herbicide is to create a weed-control barrier in the top layer of soil, preventing weed seeds from germinating. To be effective, these products must be activated either by watering or shallow incorporation into the soil. It does not move much in the soil but absorbs tightly onto clay particles and remains where it is placed at application. Once the barrier is created, any disturbance of soil in that area, by any hoeing or cultivation, provides an opening for those weeds to grow.

Contrary to popular opinion, herbicides do not stay in the soil indefinitely. And in fact, these products are broken down by soil microorganisms, which use them as a food source. For this reason, in order to have a season-long, weed-free vegetable or flower bed, it requires a reapplication of Preen in about 9-12 weeks

Offline Auggie

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Start'em young
Your spuds will be fine. Preen is basically the same chemical as Treflan which was a chemical widely used years ago as a pre-emerge for farm use. We put it on and worked it in before planting spuds. We planted around an acre when I was I kid. It was spuds for grandpa and all 5 of my uncles families for the year.
Rebs is right about seed depth. If the seeds are planted below the preen they should still come. But I don't chance it. We still use Treflan on our pumpkin patch. But I start the plants and put them in after they are well rooted. By the time the pumpkins vine out and cover the ground, one application is good. But for your row type veggies and flowers it needs to be re applied.
I grow a garden so I don't have to buy commercial grown veggies with any chemical. We weed the old fashioned way, mulch with grass clippings, and use corn gluten to help with weed control. I believe Preen sells a organic version too. But it is just more expensive corn gluten in a bag!
Shane Augeson
9040 40th St NW
Milan MN 56262
320-269-3337

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Not a fan of preen either. I use it only in my wife's flower bed. I think it had carry over and I rotate stuff in my garden all the time.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
The stuff I bought said "Organic" on the package.

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Preen causes erectile dysfunction in seniors.