Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 5 Luxury Deer Stands: Is This Really Hunting?  (Read 4929 times)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
5 Luxury Deer Stands: Is This Really Hunting?
By Brad Smith

f you are hunting out of luxury deer stands, are you really hunting?

Deer season is winding down for most of us across the country. We know the real struggle of it, too. Sitting out there through the wind, snow, ice, and all around terrible weather conditions hoping to fill our freezers can be rather daunting. However, there are some that hunt out of luxury deer stands that don’t share this pain.

These hunters, the other half, sit on sofas and watch TV while hunting. If it starts to snow, they grab a blanket, turn the heater up, fix another cup of hot chocolate, and cross their legs – all the way – while watching soccer instead of football.

You don’t believe me? Check out these five luxury deer stands and see what I mean.

1. Yep. That’s the high life.

And the inside.

If you have a heater, TV, card table, and slide window with comfy chairs, you ain’t hunting like most.

2. Need a little nappy?

I mean, sometimes you just get tired out there!

3. This struggle is real.

This deer stand might as well be a hotel.

4. Nice siding.

Hopefully these guys don’t have to settle for basic cable.

5. There’s always fishing!

I think these hunters found the water source.

Of course I’m kidding about how the other half hunts. If a person works hard, they should play hard also. Maybe one day I’ll get to hunt out of something this nice, too.

In the meantime, I’ll continue to harness myself against a tree and freeze to death.

« Last Edit: December 12/23/16, 02:42:54 PM by HD »
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Although we talk about it, we never pulled the trigger on one of these. Mostly because we don't know where we would put it and I usually hunt a different stand each time out so it wouldn't get the use it would need to warrant the expense.  Very nice though, maybe some day when I get old.....
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Although we talk about it, we never pulled the trigger on one of these. Mostly because we don't know where we would put it and I usually hunt a different stand each time out so it wouldn't get the use it would need to warrant the expense.  Very nice though, maybe some day when I get old.....
deadeye................don't you ever get he idea with so many stands that damn I shoulda been in the other one???? I do. same with an extra fishhouse on the lake!!!!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
I want this one. 

[attachment deleted by admin]
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
glenn57, Yes and when my son and I discuss this, we usually end with "that's a very nice problem to have".  Then there are some areas I never get to the entire season and I always wonder if I should have hunted there.  I just look at the map, check the wind and pick one.  Sometimes you just get lucky and you can't be in two places at the same time.   

Offline K.O.W.

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I'd like to see the best buck they've taken out of these stands and what's the talk about cold freezing weather lol I haven't seen snow in 20 years of rifle hunting MN. Super windy might be a factor. Swamps are never frozen, the Laq Qui Parle geese are now migrating a month behind what was once normal. I fortunately downed my 30th buck of my life this year and if I hunted out of a fort like these there's no way I'd have 30 down. Having 9 ladder stands allows me to hunt the wind and farm of my choice pending where the best bucks "seem" to be.  I only hunt metal ladder stands and I would never sacrifice the ability to hear them coming, or just have one fort to return to daily/nightly. I guess where these mansions are placed they don't seem to have that need. ACDC sings it best money talks, when you spend a couple hundred thousand to buy land what's another 5-8 grand for a stand, peanuts. The way I hunt I could never bring my kids really so the plus in those mansion stands are you can bring anyone young or old and share the experience with others, I like that fact about em but yes they are not the Charles Ingalls/Grizzly Adams way. I can't judge really because if I found out 1 of these stands is occupied by a veteran of foreign war or someone with a tough disability who would not be able to get out I'd feel pretty bad. I've thought about deer hunting as I get older and these metal ladder stands I use will be sold I mean if I make 90 I'm not scaling up 17 feet in the air on a metal ladder. 

Offline hawg

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
We put an old 8 x 16 fishhouse 8 feet up in the air. It's not a luxury liner like these but pretty nice for cribbage and a beer.
I've been your age, you never been mine!

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
I want this one.

dakids, not sure but is this the one up by Remer MN?  If not just a little south east of Remer on a farm they have an old fire tower or something that is crazy high that looks like this.
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
K.O.W.
Along with numerous "double" ladder stands, we have a number of permanent stands built in trees.  It has taken us many years and failed attempts but we have petty much perfected the art of the permanent stand in a tree.  The key is building it so it does not get ripped apart by tree(s) movement, using only treated wood and a good ladder system. Simple platform with rails and old carpet makes a great stand.  Although tight, kids can hunt with an adult in a double ladder stand, however the permanent ones are much better.

If you look closely you can see my grandson in the stand.  This is the stand he shot his first deer from this fall. 

Offline Auggie

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Start'em young
    • www.wallhangerstaxidermystudio.com
If you have your own piece of ground I think your crazy not to build them.
We have an 80 which includes my building site. We currently have 7 enclosed stands. Working on 8 and 9 this winter.  Not fancy, just 4x8 or 5x6 enclosed stands. Insulated well and heated with Big Buddy's. 80% of the materials have been scrounged or purchased for penny's on the dollar.
Good used window's, hail damaged tin ect. All have stairs and a small landing outside the door. You can bow hunt from the platforms or sit with the firearms on nice days. On those bitter cold or rainy or snow days we can sit all day if we like. With one or more windows  cracked or open you still hear them coming, nothing lost in that area. I don't worry about kids or dad falling off a ladder. It's taken several years to get here(hunted this ground for over 30 years) but I can tell you it's worth every $ spent and hour worked when it's below zero and snowing with a 20mph wind. While your teeth are chattering I'm toasty in sweatshirt for hours.
Shane Augeson
Wallhangers Taxidermy Studio
9040 40th St NW
Milan MN 56262
www.wallhangerstaxidermystudio.com
320-269-3337

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I guess I do have one enclosed stand.  It's my cabin porch.  Most days you will
see deer browsing in the field/plots or just passing through.  My only issue with
the enclosed ones is just where to put it.  I'm afraid if I have one I might spend
too much time in one spot and miss opportunities at other locations. 

Looking out to the north from the cabin porch.

Looking east from the cabin porch. 

Offline Auggie

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Start'em young
    • www.wallhangerstaxidermystudio.com
That's why you need several👍 
Like you deadeye I forgot to mention my largest one. 40'x54', heated floor, tv, wifi, full plumbing, fridge etc...This is the view from the west window of my shop.😁 Overlooking the Chippewa River that splits our 80 down the center. I have the same view from the deck of the house as well.
I'm lucky enough to live where I hunt and can walk to any one of stands in 15 minutes or less. It is much easier to do all the work we have when it is so close
Shane Augeson
Wallhangers Taxidermy Studio
9040 40th St NW
Milan MN 56262
www.wallhangerstaxidermystudio.com
320-269-3337

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
I want this one.

I'm pretty sure this is the tower stand on a farm on the road into the east side access of Big Rice Lake just south east of Remer MN.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
that looks more like a water tower set up!
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
that looks more like a water tower set up!

Click on the picture it gets bigger. Looks to be an old high line tower? I have been right there and it has a big open platform on the top. They can see for a 1/4 mile in most directions.