Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Bacon  (Read 21369 times)

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
 :offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic:         ;)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!

:offtopic:    :mad1:

me thinks you started it!!   :rotflmao:
X2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
 :withstupid:       :rotflmao:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
so you be with the NL!!   :rotflmao: :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Man that looks tasty Rh.  I have to give them a try sometime. So when they're too lean are they hard to fry up with out over crisping? Or is there such a thing..

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
no fat means means if you over cook it, which is easy to do, it will very dry and maybe chewy.  you really want to just heat it, if I remember correctly.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I did two batches of bacon and did them both like RH.  Cold smoke for awhile then just as soon as any part of it hits 150 I take it  off the smoker.  I have some belly to do another batch and need to get on it. 

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Mike's right on this.  You eye ball it as you slice it.  most of the time the slices have fat on them so it's not much different but I think this time the butts are very lean so I'll just fry them up some and put them on the plate.  I slice the butt's a little thicker so the meat is usually tasty anyway.  Almost a combination of a ham and bacon flavor.  good luck.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I bought a meat bundle a couple of years ago.  It included some ham steaks.  They butcher said put a little water in a pan and heat it up.  Drop the ham steaks in.  When the water is almost gone.  It only takes a few minutes take the ham steak out and it will be hot an juicy....  I tried it and it worked great.

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Picked up 2 more bellies from Costco yesterday, really looking forward to putting one in pops brine with the other in a dry brine. Grabbed a cheap container from wally world that will hold a whole slab. Probably have to double pops recipe since it's 10# . Hopefully the weather is cool enough in a couple of weeks  for cold smoking yet, but probably the last round of these guys until fall. Fill the freezer while ya can..

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
so let me get this straight???? when you do the bacon you cold smoke only? no heat involved? and how do you guys order this brine?

I was thinkin of giving this a go some sat this summer while I be having a fire out back and drinkin a few beers!!!! :scratch: :scratch:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
don't think I have ever heard of cold smoked bacon..  always heat, although low heat sometimes

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
so let me get this straight???? when you do the bacon you cold smoke only? no heat involved? and how do you guys order this brine?

I was thinkin of giving this a go some sat this summer while I be having a fire out back and drinkin a few beers!!!! :scratch: :scratch:
Hey pops cold smoking is considered 90 degrees F an below,Its primarily used as a smoke infusion NOT a cooking method,
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I do mine at 150 to get smoke and it still takes 4 or 5 hours.  I have to up the heat to 200 or a little more to finally get the bacon up to 150. 

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Cold smoke with the tube for 4 hrs then add heat until an internal temp of 130 or so. Now is the time to do cold smokes, pretty dangerous when it's warm out for bacteria reasons. Reinhard has posted pops brine many times, but the dry brine I've been using is a cross between several different recipes. I added maple syrup to the last batch of dry brine, thinking honey and syrup on this one. Gotta experiment..
« Last Edit: March 03/12/17, 05:06:21 PM by Bobberineyes »

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
LPS that's the highest I have ever heard bacon taken up too.  but I do understand why you do.

Bobber, now your cold smoke makes sense, but you had me really wondering!! :rotflmao:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
What do you bring yours to Mike?  As soon as one hits the 150 mark I pull them all. 

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
locker plants will pull them about 135, it's about yield for them, I will go about 145, give or take.  have seen 150 here too. nothing wrong with going that high.
« Last Edit: March 03/12/17, 06:02:31 PM by mike89 »

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
locker pants will pull them about 135, it's about yield for them, I will go about 145, give or take.  have seen 150 here too. nothing wrong with going that high.

Better correct that, or Glenn will be at Gander looking for "locker pants" to cook bacon in.... :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
I let the Canadian go to 150. So many different ways to bellies, it's all personal preference.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
locker pants will pull them about 135, it's about yield for them, I will go about 145, give or take.  have seen 150 here too. nothing wrong with going that high.

Better correct that, or Glenn will be at Gander looking for "locker pants" to cook bacon in.... :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

too late you got me!!!   but I did for you!!!  he never would seen that either!!    :rotflmao:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I have read before and maybe it was RH's site that over 150 it turns ham like.  I love ham but want the bacon to be bacon and haven't had a problem yet.  Maybe I will do more of a 145 just to make sure I don't hit the ham texture.  I have 3 3 lb chunks to do.  When it warms up I will do them.  I have lots of Alaska salmon to do too.  Too much actually.  My Aunt and Uncle bring it back from Alaska.   

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I have read before and maybe it was RH's site that over 150 it turns ham like.  I love ham but want the bacon to be bacon and haven't had a problem yet.  Maybe I will do more of a 145 just to make sure I don't hit the ham texture.  I have 3 3 lb chunks to do.  When it warms up I will do them.  I have lots of Alaska salmon to do too.  Too much actually.  My Aunt and Uncle bring it back from Alaska.   

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
that someone else posted thing got me again.    :rotflmao: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk:  sorry

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
not sure about the ham texture , never got there before with the temp, could be

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I,m almost sorry I asked!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I let the Canadian go to 150. So many different ways to bellies, it's all personal preference.
so doing this in the  summer and heating the meat to 150 will still need to be concerned about bacteria??????/

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
no thats why u add 1 oz of cure.
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

:censored: :doah: :banghead: face_plant-2139.gif awe man!!!!!! :surrender: :surrender:

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
ive brought my loin to 155, and have no ham texture. 150 will be fine. if you thi k its hame like it makse the best sandwhiches.!!!!
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"