Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Use a CO detector!!!  (Read 1930 times)

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Another needless tragedy, not far from me. I preach about this every year.....get a CO detector for your permie AND portty!!!!  :police:
I used to teach this stuff as a certified EMT Instructor, dealt with it while I was a LEO, and have seen the results first hand. To keep it brief and to the point: The low oxygen  (O) sensing buddy heaters ARE NOT good enough to protect you'; the concentration of CO can be enough to affect you long before that pilot goes out on those heaters. I proved that in a test with a friend in my porty, closed up. Heater was just starting to fail, and CO levels were already way high. (350 PPM on my meter) That O sensor is not a dependable source of info; I liken it to putting  a top on a jar candle...when the oxygen's all used up, it goes out. If you experience any type of headache, tiredness, nausea, burning eye, GET OUT NOW!!  So people, PLEASE pop the $20 for a CO detector, and save your life.  If you ever have to pull a body out of somewhere that's died from CO poisoning, you never forgot the cherry red of them caused by the CO bonding to the hemoglobin in your blood, preventing it from carrying any oxygen. You literally dies of oxygen deprivation. So guys, please stop by that box store today and grab one, will you? Is your life worth $20?

21-year-old woman dies from CO poisoning at ice fishing house

By Shannon RousseauCONNECT
Posted: Jan 15, 2017 9:40 PM CST

Lake Wilmert, Minn. -

The Martin County Sheriff's Office said a woman died and four other people were hospitalized after suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning Sunday afternoon.

It happened in an ice fishing house on Lake Wilmert in rural Martin County, which is two hours west of Rochester.

The 21-year-old female died at the scene around 2 p.m. Sunday.

A 20-year-old man was taken to St. Mary's Hospital in Rochester.

Three other adults were treated at local hospitals.

Police have not released the woman's name. The cause of death is still under investigation by the Ramsey County Medical Examiner's
Office.

Carbon monoxide levels in the air
What is normal? What is dangerous?

Carbon monoxide levels in the blood stream cannot easily be measured outside a medical setting. Carbon monoxide levels are often shown as concentration levels of parts per million (PPM) in the air and length of exposure.

Carbon monoxide
Parts Per Million

(PPM)   Time   Symptoms
0.2 PPM   -   Natural carbon monoxide levels in the air
35 PPM   8 hours   Maximum exposure of carbon monoxide levels allowed by
OSHA in the workplace over an 8
hour period
200 PPM   2 to 3 hours   Mild headache, fatigue, nausea
dizziness
400 PPM   1 to 2 hours   Serious carbon monoxide headache, other symptoms intensify
Continued exposure: Life threatening after 3 hours
800 PPM   45 minutes   
Dizziness, nausea, convulsions
Unconscious within 2 hours
Continued exposure: Death within 2 to 3 hours

1,600 PPM   20 minutes   Headache, dizziness, nausea
Continued exposure: Death within 1 hour
3,200 PPM   5 to 10 minutes   Headache, dizziness, nausea
Continued exposure: Death within 1 hour
6,400 PPM   1 to 2 minutes   Headache, dizziness, nausea
Continued exposure: Death within 25 to 30 minutes
12,800 PPM   1 to 3 minutes   Death

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I forgot to add a point, especially in a porty...always keep a door cracked a bit for fresh air..I used to unzip partway the top of one door on my porty, and partway unzip the bottom half on the other side door. Keeps the condensation to a minimum too. So, ALWAYS have a fresh air vent for any heating element. It's code in your house for your furnace, now imagine how important it is in a space 20 times smaller....

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
tha ks for posting that reb, sometime one just get way to careless and comfy to think about it.
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
No prob, Boar. I hope everyone on here reads it and does it. Had a co-worker that lost her two children to this. Horrible, horrible, thing.

Offline Fawkinnae

• Executive Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
    • Fawkinnae Sportsman's Club T-Shirts
Terrific post Rebel SS.
Fawkinnae Sportsman's Club T-Shirts
Unique fishing, hunting, drinking and motorcycle t-shirts, caps, bumper stickers and more.
http://www.fawkinnae.com/
Find me on Facebook - http://tinyurl.com/6k5tkvv