Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Killing Gophers  (Read 1807 times)

Offline Weasel

• Outdoorsman
Has anyone tried the gopher killing poison pellets compared to just trapping them? I need a way to stop their invasion on our hay field and wondering if this is a good alternative. Has anyone used the victory clamp traps with the pellets? Last spring a lot of the ones I caught with the victory clamps chewed off their legs or tails to get out and I would like to prevent that. 
I'm a goose kill'in machine!

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
Has anyone tried the gopher killing poison pellets compared to just trapping them? I need a way to stop their invasion on our hay field and wondering if this is a good alternative. Has anyone used the victory clamp traps with the pellets? Last spring a lot of the ones I caught with the victory clamps chewed off their legs or tails to get out and I would like to prevent that.
Where ya located weasel ? Poisonmay be illagle? Maybe the general can help ya or his kids,They seem to do pretty well wit da traps.I know their bassturds to get rid of,But poison will take out more than the target. Whats the size of the field?
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Offline Weasel

• Outdoorsman
That is the reason I didn't want to use poison, because I don't want to kill anything besides the problem. I was just wondering because lately I've had low success with the clamp style traps. I have really started to like the pincer style trap that catches them in the guts, but I don't have many of those traps. I will probably invest in getting more to increase my success
I'm a goose kill'in machine!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Assuming you're talking pocket gophers here Weasel? I've used both the traps and the poison with relative success. Most of the gophers stay in the CRP or road ditch but every once in a while one gets loose in the pasture or hayfield. Generally I use the "death klutch" traps that I grew up trapping with. Occasionally I'll get a small pocket gopher that's difficult to trap so I keep some poison on hand in case. Zinc phosphide is the active ingredient in the stuff I have. Used properly on pocket gophers, exposure to other animals is minimal. Opening the hole slightly, dropping a few pellets in then covering it up is all it takes. Typically the pocket gopher expires far underground where secondary poisoning is unlikely. I don't use it on striped gophers. There the risk of poisoning something else is greater as it's easier for dogs or cats to get at and sometimes I've seen striped gophers expire above ground near the hole. More fun to shoot them anyway.  :happy1:

« Last Edit: March 03/21/17, 11:43:45 AM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
Myself and the boy would be happy to help of you live close enough.
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline ray634

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Assuming you're talking pocket gophers here Weasel? I've used both the traps and the poison with relative success. Most of the gophers stay in the CRP or road ditch but every once in a while one gets loose in the pasture or hayfield. Generally I use the "death klutch" traps that I grew up trapping with. Occasionally I'll get a small pocket gopher that's difficult to trap so I keep some poison on hand in case. Zinc phosphide is the active ingredient in the stuff I have. Used properly on pocket gophers, exposure to other animals is minimal. Opening the hole slightly, dropping a few pellets in then covering it up is all it takes. Typically the pocket gopher expires far underground where secondary poisoning is unlikely. I don't use it on striped gophers. There the risk of poisoning something else is greater as it's easier for dogs or cats to get at and sometimes I've seen striped gophers expire above ground near the hole. More fun to shoot them anyway.  :happy1:

I use that zinc phosphate and it seems to work good. You do not need a permit/license to use on your own property as far as I know. This stuff is not like the strychnine used for wolfs and coyotes that was banned. And not like the warfarin for mouse/rat poison. It is a nerve agent and once they eat it there is no drinking enough water to flush it out.
Drop a few pellets on each run into the field and see what happens. It should clean them out in a week, but you may need a second treatment if the little ones survive without the parent around. Good luck.