Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Drunk Squirrel  (Read 7840 times)

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
like glenn said, sloe gin along with some of fruit flavored vodka's were interesting experiments :puke: back in those days too :smiley:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Lots and lots of stuff out there that can get us all squirrely...sorry couldn't help it!  :happy1:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Yup Glenn, eat :rotflmao: them!!!
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Seriously there good eating.  They grays and fox squirrel. I've never had a leftover at the game feed.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Glenn I was eating those "tree rats" back in the 60's so yuppers I had many and they are good!!! :happy1:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Dang right! In the crackpot with taters and onyums and carrots...and some guys dump in cream of whatever soup..

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Mom floured and browned them like chicken, then the oven or crock pot!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I had to live on those for a while in the 70's when there was no work and I had no money. Did every odd job there was from tune-ups to cutting timber to get enough just to eat!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
them and rabbits!!!  might have gotten a few out of season back then but we got to eat meat too!!!

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
We used to hunt 'em when I was young. Dad was a big hunter when he was young & his mom used to cook them for us, in a sort of squirrel pie. Not sure what it was but i never really cared for it. :scratch: It always seemed a little chewy & not a lot of taste to me  confused-3316.gif
« Last Edit: March 03/25/17, 07:58:33 AM by Gunner55 »
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
My bachelor buddies and I used to shoot them out of the big cottonwood tree through the kitchen window.  They were attracted to the corn that for some reason was right below them.  Great crockpot fodder...

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
ok so how dose one go about hunting squirles, ive taken my daughter into the wood for squirles and have never seen a one, but whem wer sitting hunting deer otr bear we see abunch, so maybe that what we gota do, just sit in a stand and see if some corn happens to be ther. other wise just walking around looking for squrils, just don't cut it.
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Find a spot where there's oaks and acorns on the ground, or any nut tree, or good hardwood area. Woods bordered by a cornfield is good, too. Park yerself in a spot in the middle and BE QUIET. Don't smoke. Pretty soon they'll forget yer there and come out and go about their business. Takes a while. When they perch on a branch, *BLAM*  :fudd:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
also when they circle around the tree send your daughter or you around the tree and they will come back around, again bang!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Good point! That's where a pooch comes in handy, they'll always stay opposite side of the tree, aka "target".  ;)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
From a very experienced tree rat hunter all the above is correct. I usually walk through the woods real slow looking out in the distance for movement. Also scanning up in trees. You.d be surprised how often there tail gives them away. If your hunting with someone else, spread apart and alternate moving.

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
I just watch out the kitchen window....

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I just watch out the kitchen window....

And they stare right back......
« Last Edit: April 04/04/17, 10:29:12 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
5 Delicious Squirrel Recipes (Yes, Really)

These five recipes for squirrel are guaranteed to get your mouth watering.

These squirrel recipes will have you heading off to the woods quick to bag some squirrels for dinner!

1. Baked Squirrel

4 cut up squirrels (use only hind legs and meaty back pieces)
    1 chopped green pepper
    2 Tbsp butter
    4 Tbsp. red wine
    1 can cream of mushroom soup
    1/4 c. vinegar
    1 chopped onion
    4 Tbsp. salt
    1 tsp. Adolph’s tenderizer
    1 tsp. pepper
    1 c. flour
    Crisco and cooking oil

Mix vinegar and salt with water to cover squirrel. Soak 2 hours in solution. Remove pieces and shake on tenderizer and pepper. Roll in flour. Fry in Crisco until brown. Place pieces in baking dish. In another skillet saute onion and pepper in butter. Add wine and soup. Mix well. Pour over squirrel. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

2. Country style squirrel

2 squirrels
    Salt & pepper to taste
    Flour
    6 tbsp. vegetable oil
    2 c. water

Cut squirrel into frying size pieces, salt and pepper then roll in flour until coated well. Put in skillet of hot oil and fry until golden. Remove squirrel and most the oil, then add water and bring to boil. Place squirrel back into the skillet, turn to low heat, cover and cook for approximately 1 hour.

3. Oven Fried Squirrel

One squirrel
    4 eggs
    bread crumbs
    Flour
    Olive oil
    Canola oil/ vegetable oil
    Butter

Pat meat dry with paper towel to remove any moisture. Dip squirrel in egg. Combine bread crumbs with flour, dip egg-covered squirrel in mix. Cover bottom of skillet with olive oil and canola oil, add butter and brown meat well (about 20 min). Put squirrel in baking dish and pour contents of skillet over meat. Bake for one hour at 375°F.

4. Belgian Squirrel

3 large squirrels
    1/2 cup butter
    2 onions, sliced
    3 tablespoons white vinegar
    1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
    salt and pepper to taste
    18 pitted prunes
    1 1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
    1 cup cold water

Clean squirrels. Burn away any fur that clings. Rinse the meat though several changes of water and pat dry. Cut squirrels into serving pieces.
    Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
    Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add squirrel pieces and fry until browned on all sides, but do not cook through. Remove the squirrel pieces to a large Dutch oven or oven safe crock. Add onions to the butter in the skillet; cook and stir until tender and browned. Pour the onions and butter into the pot with the squirrel. Fill with enough water to almost cover the meat. Mix in the vinegar and season with thyme, salt and pepper. Cover and place in the oven.
    Bake for 45 minutes in the preheated oven. Remove the pot from the oven and add the prunes. Return to the oven and reduce the heat to 325 degrees F. Continue baking for another 45 minutes.
    Remove the pot from the oven. Mix the flour and cold water together in a cup. Use a slotted spoon to remove the meat and prunes to a serving dish. Set the pot on the stove and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Stir in the flour and water and simmer, stirring constantly, until the gravy is thick enough to coat a metal spoon. Serve meat with a lot of gravy.

5. Squirrel country sausage

4 ½ lbs. squirrel (approx. 15 fox squirrels)
    1 Tbsp. sage
    2 lbs. fresh seasoned pork sausage (with sage)
    2 tsp. basil
    1 onion
    3 tsp. margarine
    3 cloves garlic
    1 Tbsp. chili powder
    4 Tbsp. fresh parsley
    1 Tbsp. black pepper
    2 Tbsp. salt
    1 tsp. thyme

De-bone the squirrel and chop in food processor. Mix together with fresh pork. Mince the onion and garlic.

Cook the onion until transparent and add the garlic and sauté slightly. Mix together meats, onion, garlic and herbs.

To test seasonings, form a small patty and fry in frying pan with butter. Taste and adjust seasonings accordingly.

Form into small patties to cook or grill and use with your favorite sausage recipes. Great on pizza, with pancakes or scrambled in eggs.

Squirrel can be a delightful little meal and will maybe make your yard a bit quieter.

Enjoy!
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Mom always did them like chicken, which ever way to cook them worked for the squirrel too!!  as it does for me!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
We always did the #2 recipe...on the stove....good eats!
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
that was ours too!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I always did Crock Pot Squirrel.  With taters and carrots.  :tongue:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
that would be good too!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I bet Del would use his Soused-up thingie for tender tree rat with pine nuts.  :rotflmao:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
that just could be!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
He's prolly hanging out over on that good ol' boyz site.  doofus-2124.gif

Posting peppered sqwirrel recipes.  :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: April 04/05/17, 07:23:48 PM by Rebel SS »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
just brown them up like chicky........put in a roaster with water, onions and salt and pepper..........bake till done. pretty easy and pretty darn good.