Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: MC Sports File for Bankruptcy  (Read 3188 times)

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
     MC Sports Files for Bankruptcy, Will Close 68 Stores

3/22/17

:cry: ....
Michigan-based MC Sports will join the likes of Gander Mountain in filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy. The sporting goods store will immediately begin liquidating and closing all of its 68 stores, 22 of which are in its home state of Michigan.

The company said in a statement it was “unable to reach an agreement on a viable out-of-court proposal.” The filing will allow MC to “address a number of legacy costs,” including long-term leases and trade debt that have “hampered the company’s ability to develop a clear path forward.”

According to The Detroit Free Press, MC Sports has more than $14 million in trade debt. $3.8 million due to Nike, $2.4 million due to Under Armour, and hundreds of thousands worth due to others such as Adidas, Columbia Sportswear and Wilson Team Sports.

Piling on top of that, the company has almost $475,000 in debt for media and marketing services, court filings show.

“Like many retailers in the sporting goods industry, the company has faced increased competition, the blurring of distribution channels by key athletic and outdoor brands, increasing direct to consumer sales by key vendors, and the market disruption and growth of e-commerce,” the company stated.

“In response to these headwinds, the company has been systematically moving to larger format stores that combine hunting, fishing and outdoor categories with traditional sports gear, footwear, and apparel. In addition, it has worked diligently to shed poor performing locations as lease opportunities became available.”
« Last Edit: March 03/24/17, 10:09:38 AM by Lee Borgersen »
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
Bobby Bass

Bud and now Barney working the trail again in front of me.

It is not how many years you live, it is how you lived your years!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
That's what happens to over-priced, "high end" specialty, no customer service sporting goods stores. They created their own doom by cutting themselves a "specialty market" for their products, resulting in wide open retailers like Fleet Farm beating them into the ground.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Beat me too it BB, confused-3316.gif I've never heard of them either. You nailed it too Reb, most seem to be overpriced clothing stores anymore like Dick's or even Cabela's, would rather look at FF or L & M first or even Scheel's. In the old days it was always a spring trip to Waseca to Herter's for cheap tackle for us. :happy1:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Herter's!!  been there in the past too.  good store in the day.
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
O ya!! Herter's brand shotgun shells...even snowmobiles!!  :azn:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
yup and many other products carried their name.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Lot of good stuff at Herters :happy1: until they got in trouble with the feds for havin / sellin things that were on the endangered species list tut_tut-3315.gif

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
that's right, I forgot that!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Me too...what were they selling?  :scratch:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
I think they got caught importing feathers from endangered bird species from South America for people to use making jigs / flies twice. :scratch: The 2nd time the fine was huge & forced them into bankruptcy, that's when Cabela's took over. Before that Cabela's only had 1 store, out in the boonies of Nebraska

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Wow, I didn't know THAT!!  :shocked:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I think you are 100% percent right Gunner, you jogged the memory for me!

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
As I recall it might have been Indian Jungle Cock feathers.  They were used to make eyes on flies.   

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
As I recall it might have been Indian Jungle Cock feathers.  They were used to make eyes on flies.   

Only Del would remember they were jungle cock feathers. Is jungle cock a disease from heat and humidity?  :scratch:
« Last Edit: March 03/28/17, 06:15:56 AM by Rebel SS »

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Sure doesn't sound good!!!

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman

If it were a disease it wouldn't be on the endangered species list...  You don't hear the greenies whining about the endangered smallpox virus, or black plague bacteria do you.   Frauds and hypocrites.   

Only Del would remember they were jungle cock feathers. Is jungle cock a disease from heat and humidity?  :scratch: