Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Preparing future anglers  (Read 1409 times)

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
 Preparing the anglers of tomorrow :Clap:

By WalleyeDan Eigen on Mar 26, 2017 at 6:00 a.m.

A fishing team in high school? Are you serious? :scratch:

:coffee: ......
Back in the day, I participated in about every conceivable sport, and yes I hunted and fished, too. I really loved football and baseball, and I loved playing hockey, too. I played basketball, tennis, I biked, played broomball, played a bit of soccer and I'm sure I'm missing a few other "sports." These days, sports are year around and there's really not a lot of rest for these poor kids. And in order for them to be "better" than the rest, they better just focus on that one sport because who knows they may just get hurt.

I played them all up to high school and then decided to just stick with baseball. Our baseball season in Minnesota is so darn short though, it made it tough to excel.

Flash forward 30 or 40 years and we come to a point where fishing is a school sport. Yes fishing. I don't believe it's an "official" sport yet where you can letter, but still. Actually, the Brainerd Warrior Fishing Team, which I helped get off the ground two years ago, is a team that could be a second sport (without any interference) for any of the kids (sixth grade-12th grade) that choose to participate.

I have used my passion for the outdoors to help me make a living. And I'm guessing that some of these kids that have been given this opportunity will do the same thing. Fishing has been here since the beginning and it will be here until the end. Jason Bahr is the coach of this team and I remember sitting down with him and his family at Taco Bell when he was trying to figure out what to do to get kids more involved in the outdoors. Well Jason, I think you've figured it out, and you have a lot of happy boys, girls and parents because of it. I'm going to continue to be a captain when available, but I think the program is off and running in the right direction.

Will there be issues? Heck yeah, but you probably won't have to worry about any parent telling you that their kid is better than another and that they should be fishing on the first line!
« Last Edit: March 03/27/17, 07:04:01 AM by Lee Borgersen »
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Auggie

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Start'em young
    • www.wallhangerstaxidermystudio.com
I think it is great. Kinda like the trap league. Over 12,000 kids this year!!!! It gives some of the kids the chance to participate competively that may not get the chance in any other sport. Even kids that are in a wheelchair can fish or shoot. There are many great life lessons that can be gained from sports participation and these "sports" open that opportunity up to just about everyone! :Clap: :Clap: :Clap:
Not to mention both are things they can use as long as they live. Most other sports are pretty much over after high school graduation other than a a few that move on to college or professional levels.
« Last Edit: March 03/27/17, 09:39:25 AM by Auggie »
Shane Augeson
Wallhangers Taxidermy Studio
9040 40th St NW
Milan MN 56262
www.wallhangerstaxidermystudio.com
320-269-3337