Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 83-Pound Lake Trout  (Read 1932 times)

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
 83-Pound Lake Trout that Would’ve Smashed the World Record 

:coffee:  .....
The rod-and-reel world record for lake trout is 72 pounds and was caught in 1995 on Great Bear Lake in Northwest Territories. So it should come as no surprise if the next record laker comes from that same fishery.

And it almost did. Check this out: Members of the Deline First Nation harvested a lake trout from Great Bear Lake that weighed 83 pounds! They were sustenance fishing with a gill net and tried to revive the monster laker, but it was already dead.

We heard about this amazing lake trout from fishing guide Brandon Isaac, who works at Plummer’s Arctic Lodges, which is about 150 miles on the opposite side of Great Bear Lake from the Deline First Nation community. As Brandon writes in his Facebook post: “I’ve been privileged to visit them twice. Amazing people and stewards of the land.”

Brandon continued: “This fish is part of the reason why I love guiding in the arctic. Every morning, every guide launches their boat thinking “today could be the day”. The new world record is cruising around there somewhere. And since we’re a catch & release lodge – the 50 pounder caught 10 years ago is potentially still alive, but 20-30 pounds bigger.”
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Holy sheep crap! dang netts!

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
What a great fish!!!  I seem to remember a large lake trout that was netted by commercial fishermen in Lake Superior many years ago that went close to 100 pounds and it was mounted and displayed in the old Hotel Duluth for years.  That same commercial fisheries outfit netted a would be world record northern pike that was weighed and released for they had no permit for pike.  good luck.

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Had to take a closer look at the pic,classic,tarp over the car,suspect broken window's and looks like the house is under construction....haha,reminds me of the pine ridge rez and mission sodak,they all look the same.