Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Smelt 2017  (Read 5116 times)

Offline pickelfarmer

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Anyone from the area have any info on the smelt run in Duluth area this year? The run should be coming soon I would think. past years I have had some success around the 20th of April. I think the water temp needs to get to around 45 deg?? Any info would be appreciated.
Where did I catch all these fish you ask??? right in the lip....

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Hey stranger!! :moon: where ya been! :scratch: I'm going to Duluth Wednesday. I'll ask the locals then.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
Rivers are low and cold, still ice out on the big lake, going to be awhile before they run on this side. WE have been  lot colder then down south and all of our snow has been gone for weeks so no runoff. Will post here to let you know when they start running :happy1:
Bobby Bass

Bud and now Barney working the trail again in front of me.

It is not how many years you live, it is how you lived your years!

Offline pickelfarmer

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Hey stranger!! :moon: where ya been! :scratch: I'm going to Duluth Wednesday. I'll ask the locals then.

Ha! Yeah I've been off line for a while. That would be cool if you could find any info!

Offline pickelfarmer

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Rivers are low and cold, still ice out on the big lake, going to be awhile before they run on this side. WE have been  lot colder then down south and all of our snow has been gone for weeks so no runoff. Will post here to let you know when they start running :happy1:

Thank you for the info. I'd love to hit it again at the right time. Last year I was about a week to late so I wasn't able to make the trip.

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
Anyone from the area have any info on the smelt run in Duluth area this year? The run should be coming soon I would think. past years I have had some success around the 20th of April. I think the water temp needs to get to around 45 deg?? Any info would be appreciated.
PK great to see you postin! dew2 here you remember me as sparcebag from UMO.I can contact Sandy's relatives and bring you up on the run. Duluth 2 cousins an 2Harbors 1 nephew/niece.WE May be in Duluth this saturday>>Goin up to Wadena and maybe take Sandys mom to visit there. Where ya been whatcha been upto?
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
PK.........check the going north thread!!!!!!!

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
Rivers are flowing with water, Friend went up the shore and snow melt is filling the rivers with run off. Much more snow up the shore then down in the Duluth area. Even with the warm temps this weekend there is still ice on the big lake!
Bobby Bass

Bud and now Barney working the trail again in front of me.

It is not how many years you live, it is how you lived your years!

Offline pickelfarmer

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Rivers are flowing with water, Friend went up the shore and snow melt is filling the rivers with run off. Much more snow up the shore then down in the Duluth area. Even with the warm temps this weekend there is still ice on the big lake!

Thanks for the update, I would be coming over there from Detroit Lakes area so it's a pretty good drive to make the trip just to test it out. If there is still ice on the lake, I would assume the run is at least a week or more out.
Again, thank you for keeping us posted!

Offline pickelfarmer

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
PK great to see you postin! dew2 here you remember me as sparcebag from UMO.I can contact Sandy's relatives and bring you up on the run. Duluth 2 cousins an 2Harbors 1 nephew/niece.WE May be in Duluth this saturday>>Goin up to Wadena and maybe take Sandys mom to visit there. Where ya been whatcha been upto?

Good to hear from you sparce..hmm dew2!! LOL, Life has just been so crazy as of late and I just haven't had a lot of time to get online. Hope all is going well with you and the wife! I always think about the UMO GTG and the hospitality you showed. We have had one game/practice after another as of late and pretty much every day has something going on.. Would be great if you could get some "Inside info" on the smelt run if'in you got any!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
seen a few reports they are getting some............but also said the snow up there may slow it down for a bit.

Offline Capt. Parker

• Minnow
    • Superior Pursuits
Was out Sat. night on Park Point.  We got about a gallon of all males.  They are just starting.  Was also out in the boat in the afternoon, and saw smelt stacked up in 60 fow on the bottom 40 feet.  They are ready to go!
Chasing Lake Trout on Lake Superior

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
thanks for that report ccpt. i replied to yur pm thanks you!
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline pickelfarmer

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Thanks for the reports guys! Kind of sounds like they might be running well later this week and weekend. Earliest I would be able to make it up there now is Sunday this weekend.  I will keep an eye on the forum and hopefully they start running soon!

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
Was out Sat. night on Park Point.  We got about a gallon of all males.  They are just starting.  Was also out in the boat in the afternoon, and saw smelt stacked up in 60 fow on the bottom 40 feet.  They are ready to go!
THanks Capt.You run a boat on the big lake?

Offline Capt. Parker

• Minnow
    • Superior Pursuits

[/quote]THanks Capt.You run a boat on the big lake?
[/quote]

Yes, run my boat out of Duluth on Lake Superior. 
Check out my website www.SuperiorPursuits.com

I will try and keep you guys posted on how the big lake is producing over the summer.
Chasing Lake Trout on Lake Superior

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
thanks capt,
78.50"

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman

THanks Capt.You run a boat on the big lake?[/quote]

[/quote]Yes, run my boat out of Duluth on Lake Superior. 
Check out my website www.SuperiorPursuits.com

I will try and keep you guys posted on how the big lake is producing over the summer.[/quote]
[/quote]Were you in Business in 89 or early90s? Some reason you sound fibular?

An boar you smelt the same for years,No one told yah its hard to be around yah EH Youngster[/quote]
« Last Edit: April 04/20/17, 01:57:30 PM by dew2 »

Offline pickelfarmer

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Think I'm heading up tomorrow afternoon. Sounds like they have started running pretty well and good numbers are being had out on Park point and the Lester. Looking forward to the trip!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Good luck  man I'd love to have me a meal of smelt. hubba_hubba-404.gif they just don't do them smelt fries no more! pouty-1023.gif pouty-1023.gif

Offline pickelfarmer

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Good luck  man I'd love to have me a meal of smelt. hubba_hubba-404.gif they just don't do them smelt fries no more! pouty-1023.gif pouty-1023.gif

Thanks, If'in I get any extree, I'll send them down your way!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I think it was Clancy who writes for the Outdoor News had an article years ago about smelt.  He said sometimes when catching smelt it is actually a run of spot tail shiners or they are at least mixed in.  He said everyone eats them too and don't even know the difference.  He now goes to the bait shop once a year and gets a batch of spot tails and cooks them up like smelt. Easier than going smelting. 

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
78.50"

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman

Thanks, If'in I get any extree, I'll send them down your way!
PF SEND 57 dem spottail shiners!!! I'l trade yah for some real smelts EH!! Remember me I sure hope yah do great!!!! Last time I did it was commin home from travelin in bout 87? 88? piss poor!! i did, never went back.The late 60s when in highschol an 4-5 of us went up and filled trash cans full 30 gal.galvanized cans.Good Luck to ya!! it aint what it was but what is??We strip everything take all then complain!! its gone confused-3316.gif

Offline pickelfarmer

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
They were running this weekend. Friends went up and were able to fill a cooler pretty fast. I had a couple things come up and was not able to go this weekend. Planning on heading up Sunday afternoon. Maybe with the cold weather they will still be running..