Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Sodak Bound....  (Read 6078 times)

Offline Auggie

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Start'em young
    • www.wallhangerstaxidermystudio.com
That evening we "roosted" or "put the birds to bed" the group we had seen that morning. The plan was to return the next morning and set up on them. The next morning came, and we headed out. We got up to the spot and decided to split up in case the birds decided to go a different way off of this hill....well, that's exactly what they did when they got down out of the tree, they went the opposite way from us. So....back to hitting the trails.... We traveled quite a few roads before we came upon a meadow with a few Toms strutting around a single hen. I told Auggie I would like to try and put a stalk on them, so he stopped the truck. I had some trees between them and me with a rock basin to cross. As soon as I got to the rocks, I got busted by another Tom that was there in full strut....he dropped his feathers and ran towards the trees and past through the other turkeys. I thought I was done, but kept going.... once I got to the tree line, I could see that the running Tom had not spooked the others, and 4 Toms were still strutting around this single hen. I poked my gun out through a crotch of a tree...beaded up the biggest one up and let her fly.....BOOM....DEAD BIRD DOWN!
The part HD forgot to mention was the birds slipped out the other direction that morning because they heard jr. Snoring while leaned up against a tree :laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll:
Shane Augeson
Wallhangers Taxidermy Studio
9040 40th St NW
Milan MN 56262
www.wallhangerstaxidermystudio.com
320-269-3337

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Auggie

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Start'em young
We did not have much luck by hunting in the blind, and only had a single hen come in. With no way to plan for the hunt, we decided Friday night that we would sleep in and wait for Auggie to show up. (he had meetings to go to, so he couldn't travel out with us) Saturday morning came, and the wind had calmed down considerably, so we took off looking for birds with Auggie. On on one of the back roads, we saw some birds strutting in a small opening by a creek. We decided to try and cut off their travel by climbing the hill side and descending on them to get a shot. But by the time we headed down to them, they crossed the creek, and up the other hill side.
This was one of the best parts of the day. We had these birds gobbling at us for the better part of 2 hours. I believe they were as close as 50-60yards, but the cover was to thick to be sure!
Shane Augeson
9040 40th St NW
Milan MN 56262
320-269-3337

Offline Auggie

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Start'em young
That evening, Auggie had said that he was going to go out and check some spots and roost some birds. Jr was tired from all the running around and wanted to take a nap, so me and him stayed behind. It didn't take long and Auggie came back to the cabin. Jr said "He must have forgotten something" I said "I betcha he got a bird"

I was right....Auggie got his bird while checking different spots......DEAD BIRD DOWN!

He'll have to give you the whole story, because I don't wanna get it wrong.

This was an AWESOME adventure! And, I have to give credit where credit is due...
Auggie was a pretty darn good guide in helping us get birds! Not to mention letting us stay in his cabin, that was very gracious, and very much appreciated!

THANKS AUGGIE!
My bird came about like HD
I was checking an area we hadn't been yet together that has traditionally held birds in years past..
So while driving down the trail in the old burb I crossed a cattle guard, and as soon as the rattle quit I heard gobbles. So I stopped and looked around and here were 3 toms strutting in a open meadow. I had about 80-100yards between the birds and me. Over half the distance was covered with thick juniper and pine trees. So I snuck my way to the edge of the meadow, yelped a few times and the fans dropped and they came a running. End of story.
It seemed odd to find 3 toms alone this early in the season, as well as HD's bird with 4 other Toms and just one hen. Most of the time it's the opposite this early. All henned up. I wish the boys had been along to see the elk on this round about, it was about the only thing they missed seeing for wildlife other than bighorn sheep. Maybe next time!!
Shane Augeson
9040 40th St NW
Milan MN 56262
320-269-3337

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
What a great time.  Beautiful pics.  Thanks

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Thanks guy's! It was an adventure for the books!

Only thing I forgot was to get some Red Ass Rhubarb wine.....it was closed when we left.....
So.................I ordered some on line....60 bucks for 2 bottles (I hope it's good!)  :drinking:
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Auggie

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Start'em young

Only thing I forgot was to get some Red Ass Rhubarb wine.....it was closed when we left.....
So.................I ordered some on line....60 bucks for 2 bottles (I hope it's good!)  :drinking:
Ya big dink.......I was gonna pick ya some up next time I went out.
Shane Augeson
9040 40th St NW
Milan MN 56262
320-269-3337

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman

Ya big dink.......I was gonna pick ya some up next time I went out.
I'll prolly have it drunk by then..... burp-402.gif
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
awsome!! thats one thing on my list.  great job guys!
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Picked up some mounting plaques today.... gonna start working on them soon!
« Last Edit: April 04/30/17, 01:30:29 PM by HD »

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I tell ya what...that rubarb wine is some kick ass stuff!  :happy1: