Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Birds in the back yard  (Read 294623 times)

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Wasn't long after I posted that, looked out the window & saw a red admiral on the Buick. One of my favorite butterflies back to when I was a little kid.  :happy1:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Had a male English grosbeak at our feeder.  Been awhile since we have seen on of them.

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
Had a male English grosbeak at our feeder.  Been awhile since we have seen on of them.
Now that you mention it, it's been a while since I've seen one, too. Not many gold finches, either.
I wonder. Does Darth Vader have a sister named Ella? Bet she has her ups and downs.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
kind on interesting with the bird bath, I think the tree rats are using it as much as the birds...   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Tree shallows are back as of yesterday late afternoon. Heard them but didn't visually confirm until this morning. Barn shallows can't be far behind. Juncos are dwindling so white-throated, white-crowned & Harris's sparrows should take their place soon. Be time to ready the oriole & hummingbird feeders then.  :cool:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
We have had robins around and now we have flickers on the ground eating things.  The wife heard a bang yesterday and didn't know what it was until I was out later and here a ruffed grouse was laying next to the house.  Jake wanted it.  It must have flown right into the side of the house and killed itself.  Had one fly right into the passenger door of a gravel truck I was driving.  Sounded like someone shot me.  Found parts of it on the running board steps.  Not the smartest birds.  I wonder how they survive. 

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
flickers showed up here the other day too!!   fun to watch
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Brown thrashers arrived here yesterday. Hummers rumored to be in Chicago & Northern MO.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Brown thrashers arrived here yesterday. Hummers rumored to be in Chicago & Northern MO.
:scratch: :scratch: :scratch: whatabout.......the wrens!!!???? :rolleyes: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Jrasmussen

• Xtreme Outdoorsman

So roughly when would you think the hummers will be back?

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
May 3rd for the hummers. May 5th for Orioles and Grosbeaks.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Heard the 1st white-throated sparrows of the season this a.m. The song I heard and typically hear this time of year sounds like the 2nd one submitted from New York in the link below. Don't know if it's the cover, food, or just what in the windbreak & EQIP acreage, but they hang out there a few days first. They typically don't appear in the backyard until a few days after I hear them. Heard but not seen. Within a few days, they're all over the place.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/White-throated_Sparrow/sounds
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 09:58:57 AM by Dotch »

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
That sounds familiar.  We have a yellow rumped warbler at our sunflower feeder.  The little birds are really eating a lot.  Had to fill it again today.  Happy to do it.

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
Looking at the migration map, it looks like the hummingbirds are in northern Iowa now.
I wonder. Does Darth Vader have a sister named Ella? Bet she has her ups and downs.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Looking at the migration map, it looks like the hummingbirds are in northern Iowa now.
there going to need there winter coats around here.  :rolleyes: :rotflmao:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I'm putting some gin in my feeders. It won't freeze, they'll get a shine on & it'll warm the little buggers up!  :happy1:

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
That's what a U of M education will do for you!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
That's what a U of M education will do for you!
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman