Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Kill switch location question!  (Read 3154 times)

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2016 Mno rockbass challenge champion
Alright so the new boat is awesome. Runs awesome an etc. but I noticed when first time starting motor I have no where to put the kill switch clip. Motor starts and runs great. I've patrolled Google with no luck. Starting to get a little annoyed that I can't find its location. I'm starting to think it got bypassed but I'm not seeing a empty spot on the console or control arm/throttle area. Only reason I care is I plan on fishing some tournaments this summer an they require it. An need to show proof(atleast says in the rules)

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
 I see it....push in on the "keyhole", it will go "flush" with the outer housing (the part that looks like it's "threaded" on the outside) then clip on plastic  "fork'' switch clip, that holds in the key switch, allowing it to start/run engine. When "fork" is pulled off, switch pops out, (like a turkey timer) that grounds and kills the circuit.
« Last Edit: April 04/13/17, 06:22:48 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
But my key hole is also my choke? Atleast what the guy I bought it from told me.

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
So it does fit right there. Interesting. So why does my engine start an run without it? Always thought id kill switch was out engine wouldn't start

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Yes it is....the internal part...actually, it's not a "choke" , it squirts fuel into carb. With key inserted, you push it in, usually a couple times, to "choke" or "prime" the engine. You can hear it "click" back in the engine when you do it. The narrower part of the "Y" on the clip fits flush against that and holds it in. Wider part of the "Y" fits on those outer "threads". How do I know? it's what my Lund Angler had....as do most of the Lund series.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
So it does fit right there. Interesting. So why does my engine start an run without it? Always thought id kill switch was out engine wouldn't start
It shouldn't run without it. I have no idea why.

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks for the help! When I take it out tomorrow I'm gonna put it on there start the engine let it warm up an then pull the clip off an see what happens

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
it would work that way if it was bypassed, would not be the first time it happened.
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
it would work that way if it was bypassed, would not be the first time it happened.

Seen lots of that...usually to cover up other issues. I'd check that out first. Easy prob to fix if necessary. Let us know what happens, Cody!
« Last Edit: April 04/14/17, 07:40:06 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
Well I'll be taking it out in a bit to chase some crappies. I'll pull the ignition cover off before I leave an see if it's bypassed. Safety wise I'd like to have it. Tournament wise i have to have it. Dunno if they want to see if it works or not but I don't want to pay my entry fee an be disqualified later on if they do check it

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
Nothing on the ignition made it look like it's been toyed with.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Well??! Does it work? I'm busy! Hurry up!   :rotflmao:

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
If someone dont know wiring well the easiest way to bypass the kill switch is right at the Ignition KEY switch.Look there also
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
He musta fallen in.  :rolleyes:

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
Yep it worked. Started engine an yanked the clip off an engine shuts down. But the weird thing is that it will run without the clip on to. Maybe the sudden removal grounds it out?

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Nope. That's definitely not normal. Designed to ground coil and not allow start without lanyard clip attached. Something else is going on there...

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
Nope. That's definitely not normal. Designed to ground coil and not allow start without lanyard clip attached. Something else is going on there...
Rebs got it down on the choke and kill switch,This post is on also.Something aint making the gorund out contact without the snap/pressure of pulling the kill cord.Maybe clean contacts an if their in a enclosed non opening case replacement may be a fix?? Never mentioned what motor in this post so I cant look it up.
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
It's a 2000 Johnson 90hp 2 stroke. Ignition is covered an boat has never sat on a dock always garage kept. I can check an make sure nothing is corroded over, but didn't look like it.