Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Meal Disasters  (Read 2979 times)

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
We like to show the meals that turned out well.  What about those you planned that blew up big time.  Here is mine.  Many years ago back in the 70's I bought a 2 inch bone in sirloin steak.  Yes they had bone in them back then.  I was pumped, not just with emotion but with adult beverages.  Put the charcoal on and waited for the charcoal to get grey.  Seasoned that steak up and put that trophy on the grill.  Made another gin tonic as I was thinking of how great this is going to be.  Buddy came over and gave him a beer and we started to talk fishing in the kitchen.  Totally forgot about the steak.  I was surprised that the fire dept didn't get called by the neighbors.  Lot of smoke went by the kitchen window.  Ran outside and there it was.  One shrunken piece of meat that was coal black and beyond repair.  I was thinking of this today and this is why I started this thread.    good luck.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
We like to show the meals that turned out well.  What about those you planned that blew up big time.  Here is mine.  Many years ago back in the 70's I bought a 2 inch bone in sirloin steak.  Yes they had bone in them back then.  I was pumped, not just with emotion but with adult beverages.  Put the charcoal on and waited for the charcoal to get grey.  Seasoned that steak up and put that trophy on the grill.  Made another gin tonic as I was thinking of how great this is going to be.  Buddy came over and gave him a beer and we started to talk fishing in the kitchen.  Totally forgot about the steak.  I was surprised that the fire dept didn't get called by the neighbors.  Lot of smoke went by the kitchen window.  Ran outside and there it was.  One shrunken piece of meat that was coal black and beyond repair.  I was thinking of this today and this is why I started this thread.    good luck.

I can honestly say that I have done that with pig chops a couple times....drank a few beers with buddy's while cooking...it happens....  :rotflmao:
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Fawkinnae

• Executive Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
    • Fawkinnae Sportsman's Club T-Shirts
Wyofish - the early years.
Fawkinnae Sportsman's Club T-Shirts
Unique fishing, hunting, drinking and motorcycle t-shirts, caps, bumper stickers and more.
http://www.fawkinnae.com/
Find me on Facebook - http://tinyurl.com/6k5tkvv

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Great thread Rh.  Way way way back while renting out a basement from a guy I knew, we were partying, decided to throw on a big ol t-bone. The next morning I took the pooch out and the gas grill was still going....with nothing left but a small chunk of bone.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
yup steaks and brats both, eeegadddsss hope to never do it again!! :happy1: :happy1: :rotflmao:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
My worst, outdoors anyway, was trying to cook chicken (skin on pieces) on a cheap gas grill.   It was a total flare up disaster.    Blacker than ace of spades.   

Really makes me appreciate a weber kettle.   

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Mine was getting engrossed in a movie and forgetting the big, hand-made pizza in the oven...until the smoke alarm went off.  :angry:
« Last Edit: April 04/19/17, 08:24:24 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
First time grilling for the in laws I was making burgers and 2 of them became charred hockey pucks.   My father in law notices them and commented about tbem.  I told him that they were dog food and he said they were perfect.  He preferred burned burgers.
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
well, back when in my early years of mind altering abuse. i was awoke from my couch by the fire dept. it seems i must of made some kinda thing to eat in a frying pan on the stove. what ever it was, was unrecognizable as was the frying pan.....
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
During yer mind-altering states, did you ever gain any deep insights?  :scratch:    smoking_a_joint-408.gif

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Wyofish - the early years.

Whoa!! HAHAHAA! Those look even way past sousing up!!  :rotflmao:

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
I just did it a year ago spring. Had some venny back straps marinating(yes you can use them for other things besides jerky). We had bought a new grill. Well, I grilled them like I would on the old grill and we ended up with blackened back straps. Taters didn't do much better either. Good thing we had a few beers in us or they would not have been edible.  :doah:
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline ThunderLund78

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
While one single incident doesn't stand-out, my general nemesis is pan-frying fish - getting the oil to the right temp, etc.  Seems I can't find my equilibrium - I'll burn it one time, and then get gun-shy and not get the oil hot enough the next time and it ends up soggy and oily.  Ruined many of good fish dinners and sadly, many of panfish, walleyes and pike have died in vane at the hand of my poor frying skills. My saving grace has been the Frying Saucer - yup that gimmiky contraption they sell at the Sports Show and other events.  It's awesome, haven't screwed up a fish fry with that thing yet!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Have to agree....I tend to want to over-cook it, and there's nothing worse that dried out fish. A minute or two too long, and that's all she wrote. I'm still working at it, but I like to broil mine with butter.  :tongue:

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
My worst but not the only one was,Commin back from So Cal.Making a first move back here 2 weeks off,I stopped at Omaha Meats in Omaha Neb. an bought 3 porterhouse steaks  extra thick 1&3/4 inch to 2 thick For Mom an Dad an me.Never cooked on a gas grill an thats all they had.Put em on waited bout as long as I would on charcoal for the first side.Opened that grill and all that was there is charcoal meat.I mean burnt beyond recognition !!
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Back when I was a young buck I went to a Commercial Diving School in CA.  Met some great guys.  We were starting to learn how to cook back then, still am.  We decided to make some homemade chicken and rice soup.  We boiled a whole chicken then took it out and picked the meat off the bones and threw it back in the pot with some celery and one of those (little) bags of rice.  Well we were partying like rock stars since it was Sat.  A little while later we smelled something burning and went back inside and all of that rice was boiling over like it was suds...  SO much rice....     :rotflmao: :rotflmao:  We scooped rice out of that pot and off the stove and couldn't even tell there was chicken in it anymore.  We each ate some but then we went back to partying...  Never did try that again...  AND I have a new respect for those "little" bags of rice.

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
Back when I was a young buck I went to a Commercial Diving School in CA.
Under water welding?I did that in FLA. One of the guys bought a gold mine in Colo (rich daddy) I worked a bar he leased in Radium hot springs resort,in Idaho springs Me my wife an the Mosers Ed an his wife,Ed was my instructor for welding+ I ran a jackleg in that hole got hardly any gold an he closed the Empress II mine The bar was named the same an was a hit!! The owner of rdiumhotsprings was a morman from Utah Great guy but alcohol was a hard sell to him.When I left ole Don the Morman told me anytime I needed or wanted a job just call!

Which school did you attend?fer what deep,surfack? welding,comerical,oil ??
« Last Edit: April 04/21/17, 03:19:46 PM by dew2 »
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I went to the Commercia Diving Center in Wilmington CA.  Right by Long Beach.  They tried to get us dumb young kids to go to Singapore or the North Sea.  That was the happening spots for divers back then.  Constructing underwater pipelines.  Huge accident rates but big bucks.  I just chose to go the the Gulf by Venice and work on the oil rigs repairing hurricane damage. All above water stuff.  Safer and made good moola..  That would have been back in 75...  Did some partying in Long Beach.  We were underage and were in a big bar dance hall place and a guy got shot and killed close to us.  We thought it was a firecracker.  We all had to stand in line and give the cops our info.  I stood next to this older hot babe and told here I was underage and was worried they would arrest me.  She said to just stay close to her.  She said she had done the cop whose line we were in and she would schmooze me through the line.  When we got up to him he hardly looked at my ID.  He just kept smiling at her and told me to go ahead.....  I still remember the name of the place the Rincon Tarasca...   We would dance with cute little Mexican girls that were there with their parents.